Multiple Litter Boxes For Multiple Cats

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that one should have at least 2 boxes for 2 cats. Is this just for hygiene reasons (ie boxes getting dirtier more quickly) or is there another reason? Reason I'm asking is that I'm not sure if the 2 boxes should be next to each other or in different locations?

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like the standard rule is actually one litter box for each cat + one for the house (so two for 1 cat, 3 for two cats). I have heard various reasons for this, it's not all hygiene.

One reason is that some cats prefer to poop in one box and pee in the other - because they are very sanitary animals. With multiple cats, you don't want them to feel territorial over the boxes because they might make each other feel uncomfortable about going and that can result in litter box avoidance behaviors. Having plenty of boxes, especially in a multi-story home, also keeps them from getting confused.

You should place in different locations if possible.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With multiple cats, you don't want them to feel territorial over the boxes because they might make each other feel uncomfortable about going and that can result in litter box avoidance behaviors. Having plenty of boxes, especially in a multi-story home, also keeps them from getting confused.

You should place in different locations if possible.
D david23 - I think that Espalia Espalia has covered it very well here. I have eleven cats and fourteen boxes, spread over four different bathrooms on two floors. They've never complained so far, nor has anyone had any "accidents" over the years. An extra box or two, in various locations, and cleaning as soon as is possible - usually averts any problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Espalia Espalia and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine . In my case the house is small and one level, so I'm tempted to put two boxes in one location; there's no obvious location for the second box.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D david23 I know many people do this when space is limited and it works out just fine. If you keep the boxes clean and don't see the cats bothering each other when they go then it shouldn't be an issue. It's more important to have multiple boxes than to place them in different locations, so you're already off to a good start!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently only have one for two cats. But I dump and wash out the box every day. One of the kittens is allergic to all the clumping cat litter I've tried so I'm stuck with clay litter. Dumping and washing out the box is a habit I got into when they had Giardia, so it's not a strain on me.
Although, I think my situation is the exception to the rule, but it can work if you keep the box really, really clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks kashmir64 kashmir64 . I remember reading somewhere a while back that one maybe shouldn't wash them out or even replace all the litter - something to do with them getting used to the smells... but I can't be sure of the reason.
But obviously it is working well for you, which is good. And I also feel like I should do what you do on some sort of schedule.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks kashmir64 kashmir64 . I remember reading somewhere a while back that one maybe shouldn't wash them out or even replace all the litter - something to do with them getting used to the smells... but I can't be sure of the reason.
But obviously it is working well for you, which is good. And I also feel like I should do what you do on some sort of schedule.
I don't have a problem with them getting used to the smells. BUT, I started this when they got Giardia. Actually they got it at 14 days old, but it's been done since the beginning of them using the box. That may have a lot to do with it....or not...who's to say for sure except them.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think that cats need the extra help to find their litter box. Their sense of smell is far more sensitive than ours is and they'll find it, don't worry. catman.gif Actually, you should thoroughly clean and disinfect the box on a regular basis for health reasons and for your own comfort. As kashmir64 kashmir64 notes, infections can be spread through unclean litter boxes. Also, the smell of an unclean litter box is...well...not as pleasant to the human nose as it is to that of a cat. :biggrin:
Our members have reported many different schedules and types of cleansers when it comes to dealing with litter boxes. I give my litter box a "hard reboot" (to steal a line from one of our members) every 10 to 14 days. Here are two recent threads that discuss the issue and give you some idea of the range of opinions on this.

Litter Box Question
Clean Litter Box When?

You might find this article helpful as well. Although it's about dealing with litter box problems, there is some good general information in there as well.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Another ginger tabby in box.jpg

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A vet told me that you should have 1 box per cat per floor. That being said my duo walks their arse up stairs and has their choice of two boxes (inside tub in extra bathroom, or unused "office").

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two litter boxes, one for each cat, in case they have to go at the same time. They often poop in one and pee in the other. I scrub them with dish soap once a month for clumping litter, once a week if I use non-clumping, but I mostly use clumping now, if you keep it really deep it can last a month.