Clean Litter Box When?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I just got a new kitten yesterday afternoon. My question is after the kitten does its business in the litter box is it best to clean it right away or leave it in there so the kitten knows where to go next time? She is approximately 11 weeks old. Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi jessicac05, cats like clean litter boxes. So if you have the time, clean it often like at least 3 times a day. 11 week kittens pee quite often. Make sure the box is big enough to prepare for its growth as they often move and turn around to select spot to dig before peeing or pooping. Also kittens eat a lot so they poop often too.

Clear the poo often so that the next time she goes in she won't step on the poop even though it is covered. As she digs, she might accidentally dig the old pile. Yes, once you clear the clumps, she'll still go back to the box.

This is what I do, my boy has a very large uncovered box. I clear his box every time after he poop unless he did it when I'm not around. I scoop his pee whenever there's two clumps, max three clumps. My boy is 14 months old and he pees pretty big clumps. But I wait till the clumps are more solidified which make scooping easier as they won't fall apart during scooping.
I'll clear the box if I have to go out and also I'll clear before bed so that he'll have a clean clear box.

Your kitty will pee smaller clumps and it depends on the amount of water she drinks each day. So maybe around 4 a 5 times? Make sure the sand is deep enough so that the pee won't stick to the bottom which make scooping more difficult and also if he pees a lot, it does not over flow and soak her legs. My boy's box has at least 3 - 4 inches of litter. You'll get the hang of it after a few times.

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often should I clean my 2 year old cat's litter box?

How much litter should I put in my cat's litter box? (I use the Special Kitty Clumping type by the way)

When I do clean the entire litter box, even if there's still lots of clean litter in the box, do I still have to throw all that out?

I scoop it out daily. I find that I go through a lot of litter.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How often should I clean my 2 year old cat's litter box?

How much litter should I put in my cat's litter box? (I use the Special Kitty Clumping type by the way)

When I do clean the entire litter box, even if there's still lots of clean litter in the box, do I still have to throw all that out?

I scoop it out daily. I find that I go through a lot of litter.
If you have time, clear it twice a day for pee and immediately for poo. Cats like clean litter boxes.

Get the biggest litter box for your kitty if you can. Fill up to at least 3ins of litter (I fill my boy's litter box with 4ins of litter). Top up with clean litter when the litter gets low.

You just scoop out the clump of pee or poo. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the litter box too as you scoop because pee can get stuck under especially if the litter is low.
Use a scoop with bigger holes to scoop the pee and poo so that those litter that are not clumped out will fall back to the box and get a another scoop with smaller hole to scoop out the smaller pieces of clumped litter.

When you clean the litter box, best is to throw away the old litter and fill up with new ones. Every time you scoop and every time your kitty digs, all the litter will be mixed up. Many members clean and change new litter every month.

You just go through wher where kitty did her business. No need to go through the whole box. Read post #2.

Attached is the kind of scoop I use

FullSizeRender.jpg

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have time, clear it twice a day for pee and immediately for poo. Cats like clean litter boxes.

Get the biggest litter box for your kitty if you can. Fill up to at least 3ins of litter (I fill my boy's litter box with 4ins of litter). Top up with clean litter when the litter gets low.

You just scoop out the clump of pee or poo. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the litter box too as you scoop because pee can get stuck under especially if the litter is low.
Use a scoop with bigger holes to scoop the pee and poo so that those litter that are not clumped out will fall back to the box and get a another scoop with smaller hole to scoop out the smaller pieces of clumped litter.

When you clean the litter box, best is to throw away the old litter and fill up with new ones. Every time you scoop and every time your kitty digs, all the litter will be mixed up. Many members clean and change new litter every month.

You just go through wher where kitty did her business. No need to go through the whole box. Read post #2.

Attached is the kind of scoop I use

View attachment 186500
Thanks so much for your advice! :) Yeah I already scoop out the clumped pee and poop almost immediately after she uses her litter box. I scoop up many times a day by the way. I'm quite diligent when it comes to be clean, neat, and organized in my everyday life to begin with! ;) So you recommend cleaning/putting new litter in the litter box at least once a month, right?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So you recommend cleaning/putting new litter in the litter box at least once a month, right?
Yes, and it should give these recommendations on the bag or container of litter. I think waiting any longer than a month may make kitty disagreeable. :wink:

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, once a month to empty, wash, and refill the litter box sounds about right, or when the box is especially dirty (diarrhea, for instance).

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, and it should give these recommendations on the bag or container of litter. I think waiting any longer than a month may make kitty disagreeable. :wink:
Yeah very true! Thanks so very much! :) My cat and I both really appreciate it! I already scoop out the clumped pee and poop almost immediately after she uses her litter box. I scoop up many times a day by the way. I'm quite diligent when it comes to be clean, neat, and organized in my everyday life to begin with! ;) Also, here's one of the most adorable photos of my cat that I just took a few minutes ago! Never ceases to amaze me how a cat can sleep in odd positions! Lol! :)
19601042_10154872640247523_2667482733451811903_n.jpg

Mike89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, once a month to empty, wash, and refill the litter box sounds about right, or when the box is especially dirty (diarrhea, for instance).
Thanks so much for your reply! :) I'm a pretty clean/neat/organized person in general, so it works in my cat and I's favor when keeping everything clean for her.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks so much for your advice! :) Yeah I already scoop out the clumped pee and poop almost immediately after she uses her litter box. I scoop up many times a day by the way. I'm quite diligent when it comes to be clean, neat, and organized in my everyday life to begin with! ;) So you recommend cleaning/putting new litter in the litter box at least once a month, right?
Yep, once a month :wink: