Multiple Cat Behaviors, That Need Explaining

Jim31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner, and there are certain actions I don't understand when it comes to a cat, here are a few.

How I got the cat is, I was living with a friend and when she bought the cat, and she would only feed the cat, change the litter and water. But I was the one usually showing the cat attention and playing with the cat too. So I ended up moving out and left for like 3 years, but I would come by to her house every now and then, and let the cat sniff me and then she would rub her head up against my head, why do cats do that?

My cat is a adult cat, and she does weird things, that I don't understand.

1. She follows me where ever in the house i go sometimes, but she would be around my area. I go in the living room, she would not to her house in the living room, I go in the kitchen she goes in her Couch in the kitchen, why is that and what does that mean?

2. When I'm about to go to bed, I call her she does not come, and I call her multiple times and she don't come, then when i close my door she starts scratching at my door, and crying to come in the room, why is that?

3. Then when she gets in the room, she can't stay still, and she keeps walking around the room and can't stay still and sleep, and she keeps getting up and sitting back down, then she starts sitting at the end of the bed far from me and the jumps off, and why is that?

4. Why does she meow when I pick her up?

5. Why when I pet her, she watches my hand and then bites me, not in a mean way?

6. Why does my cat sometimes looks at me and then smells a little and then starts licking me like crazy?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitty! Here's what I think about the following behaviors:

1). She loves you! My Charlie does the same thing.

2). She either doesn't know her name yet, or isn't used to the sound of her name with your voice, so she doesn't come when called. She still wants to be with you, though, which is why she wants to go into your room.

3). Cats don't have the same sleep schedule as humans. They take naps throughout the day, so that they can be active at night. This goes back to cats' days in the wild when they would sleep through the midday heat, and then hunt at night when it's cooler and the mice are out.

4). Some cats just don't like to be picked up- it's nothing you're doing wrong, it's just purrsonal preference.

5). She is trying to tell you that she is done with the petting session. As you get more used to your cat's body language, you'll be able to tell earlier when your kitty is ready to do something else.

6). Cats groom each other, so that's what your kitty is doing here- she's treating you like a close friend.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi J Jim31 :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

Your girl sounds really sweet and affectionate. What's her name? We'd love to see some pics :camera:

Following you from room to room is a sign of a close bond and her affection for you. My girl's a real 'velcro-cat' too :lovecat:

It sounds like your girl definitely wants to spend the night with you, but just needs a little longer to get to your room than you're giving her. Can you leave your door open at night? If not, you're probably best off waiting for her each night before getting into bed :winkcat:

It's very common for cats to take a while to settle on a sleeping spot. I think they like to be certain that they've picked the comfiest place to settle down in. It sounds like she's doing a border patrol of the bedroom too, to make sure it's safe for you both to sleep in ;)

Cats meow for all kinds of reasons. When you're picking her up, it'll either be a happy greeting (my girl usually chirrups at me when I start petting her) or her saying she doesn't like being held. Her general demeanour will let you know which it is (does she relax and maybe start purring, or does she tense up or struggle to get down?)

Gentle biting can be one of two things. If her tail starts twitching just before she bites, she's likely getting over-stimulated and needs you to stop petting her (my girl is like this, even though she's purring away and still wants to me with me). If she's relaxed still, and maybe licks you before the bite, then that's a love bite, and is a sign of her love and affection How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

When your girl starts licking you, she's trying to 'groom' you. It's another sign of love and affection. Cats will often groom their best friends or siblings, and, of course, momma cats groom their babies too.

It sounds like you have a wonderful bond and relationship with your girl :D :itslove:

25 Signs That Your Cat Loves You
Cat Sounds - Feline Vocal Communication
Cat Behavior For Beginners
Cats As Individuals
How Well Do You Speak Cat?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really have nothing to add from what was said by all above except just letting you know my experience with "learning cat behavior". When I go to bed, Katy does not go with me. She always starts the night hours sleeping on her spots she likes in the living room. Then, sometime in the middle of the night, she will jump into bed with me. This always wakes me up, but I do not mind. I will pet her for a minute, she will either settle down to sleep next to me or will just jump down and jump onto her "donut" in my room or go back to the living room for the rest of the night. I guess what I am saying is, cats, like people have their own personalities and do things "their way". I don't know if you are more familiar with canine behavior, but just be mindful that cats are a "breed of their own", their behaviors are nothing like the canine species. BUT REMEMBER, just because cats behave differently than dogs, it does not mean they love you any less, just different, that's all.;)

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome questions! I still have so many about cat behavior as well, and learning is so much fun.

Rubbing the head against a person is a way a cat shows affection. They are leaving their scent on you, marking you as a friend of theirs.

1. Following you is a sign that she likes you and wants to be in your presence. Not only that, but she feels as though she can relax having a second pair of eyes watching for any trouble. Pregnant cats will even call their owners to come and watch over them while they give birth!

2. Now that one is hard. I guess it could have to do with choice. I hold the door open for my cat and he sits there and does nothing, but when I close it he wants to go out. If they have a choice then they think they have all the time they want to come in and out, but without a choice they tend to want the opposite of what they have. She may also not know her name?

3. My Nocturne does that too. She does it when she wants food, attention, or play time. I have to let her downstairs during the night to get some exercise for an hour or two before bringing her back up to sleep. You can try offering toys, a few different hiding places and beds, and of course make sure she has water and a litter box if she is locked in your room.

4. Just saying hi : ) Unless it is our cat, Genny, then she is cussing you out for touching her. LOL.

5. Love bite. Sometimes they do it because they want something other than pets, sometimes they just do it to show they care, other times they may want petted in a different place. My Nocturne does it do hint she wants food, not cuddles.

6. It's called allogrooming. Two cats will groom one another to stay bonded and show their affection. She may do it if there is a smell on you she likes also. : )

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything above. Try saying her name often when you feed her & pet her. You can also try calling her while shaking a treat bag/can for a few months to help teach her to come when called. Later you can teach her the word for treat ... though my guys know the rustle of their treat bag it is unnecessary ;)
*you can teach her to leave you alone while you are sleeping, it just takes time & patience.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie wants to play when I get up in the morning. Also mid day and at night. Remimber-play,eat,sleep. I feed them canned food 3x a day so that's a lot of playing! At night, a few hours after eating, she wants to play again. Be sure to wear your cat out before you turn the lights out.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner, and there are certain actions I don't understand when it comes to a cat, here are a few.

How I got the cat is, I was living with a friend and when she bought the cat, and she would only feed the cat, change the litter and water. But I was the one usually showing the cat attention and playing with the cat too. So I ended up moving out and left for like 3 years, but I would come by to her house every now and then, and let the cat sniff me and then she would rub her head up against my head, why do cats do that?

My cat is a adult cat, and she does weird things, that I don't understand.

1. She follows me where ever in the house i go sometimes, but she would be around my area. I go in the living room, she would not to her house in the living room, I go in the kitchen she goes in her Couch in the kitchen, why is that and what does that mean?

2. When I'm about to go to bed, I call her she does not come, and I call her multiple times and she don't come, then when i close my door she starts scratching at my door, and crying to come in the room, why is that?

3. Then when she gets in the room, she can't stay still, and she keeps walking around the room and can't stay still and sleep, and she keeps getting up and sitting back down, then she starts sitting at the end of the bed far from me and the jumps off, and why is that?

4. Why does she meow when I pick her up?

5. Why when I pet her, she watches my hand and then bites me, not in a mean way?

6. Why does my cat sometimes looks at me and then smells a little and then starts licking me like crazy?
Welcome to TCS! Your cat sounds like a very loving and sweet cat. She'll sleep with you if you play with her for a short time -- 15-20 minutes or so -- right before you go to bed, and give her some food or a treat or two after the play session. Most cats I've known like the "fishing pole" type of toys the best because it's like stalking and catching their natural prey in the wild. We like "da Bird" and "Cat Dancer" the best. You can get them online probably on amazon and at most 'pet' stores. If you get a different type, I would suggest making sure the "lure" is small and light in weight. They prefer that to big, heavy toys on the end of the string. Jackson Galaxy, cat behaviorist extraordinaire, has a lot of good videos YouTube, a popular show called "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet satellite/cable/streaming tv, and a couple of very good books out. He's on social media, too. You might want to see what he recommends as far as playing with the toys with your cat.

Your friend's cat remembers you and still loves you! That's why she 'bunts' you when she sees you. That is a sign of great affection between cats.

So are the love bites. But your cat may nip when she gets overstimulated -- when you touch her for too long. Cats are very sensitive and just like us, touch can go from pleasant to not so pleasant when it happens for too long. She may just be trying to tell you she's had enough petting for awhile.

Keep us informed, won't you? Again, welcome to TCS! and we'd love to see pictures of your cat if you want to share.

gingeravocato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does all of those things too. Follows me everywhere, even when I ignore her.

Lately she's been moving all her toys into the closet during the day and then yanking them out at night and piling them around my head.

Sometimes I wonder if Bridget thinks I'm her mom or her kittens.

Cats are just weird little creatures and sometimes I have no idea why she does these things but she doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort and it's not harming anything so I just let her be weird.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does all of those things too. Follows me everywhere, even when I ignore her.

Lately she's been moving all her toys into the closet during the day and then yanking them out at night and piling them around my head.

Sometimes I wonder if Bridget thinks I'm her mom or her kittens.

Cats are just weird little creatures and sometimes I have no idea why she does these things but she doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort and it's not harming anything so I just let her be weird.
Sounds like you're right and that Bridget wants her "kittens" to be safe with someone she trusts. Consider yourself very honored! :winkcat: