Multi-cat Household With Multiple Cancer Diagnoses--how To Cope?

gammycatpurrson

Dilemma: I love cats. I love mice.
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps this isn't quite the right thread to be posting asking for advice about coping emotionally with multiple cancer diagnoses--I imagine the moderators can move it, if necessary?

In July 2013, I moved out of NYC, upstate to a farm belonging to my grandparents. The new place was supposed to be an idyllic retreat from hectic urban life, but instead, living here I have been barraged with adversities.

Maybe the biggest trouble right now is that I have Lyme Disease for the second time in two years (living in the woods, you meet fascinating insects of all sizes, shapes and colors everyday, including ticks) and two common Lyme co-infections, and the bug in my blood is known to cause psychological stress in addition to the physical symptoms.

Nonetheless, it has in fact been an "annus horribilis" as the Queen of England once famously said. December, six-month-old Fozzie Bear died of FIP. Then in quick succession, my beloved grandkitten, 13 y.o. "Gabby," died just short of her 14th birthday from complications associated with hyperthyroidism and chronic IBD; and, then, 13 y.o. "Maggiori" died from complications associated with diabetes and galloping intestinal cancer, which was only detected on autopsy. Maggiori's brother, "Bueno," was diagnosed with a tumor on his mandible, and we went to great lengths to have it removed and have implanted a 3D printed titanium prosthesis (look up Dr. Julius Liptak in Ottawa for more information about some extraordinary surgical cancer interventions now possible). 14 y.o. "Dovey," Gabby's brother, has been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in two places, his right nostril and left eyelid, and now, Dovey & Gabby's sister, "Sweet Pea," suddenly has a left leg that is increasingly swollen day-by-day and a walnut-sized mass underneath her left armpit. Oh, and when I came back from Ottawa with Bueno and his new jaw, I found calico "Boo" newly dead, under the bed, unbeknownst to my boyfriend who was sleeping there; dead not from the hyperthyroidism we had suspected but, again, from a gastrointestinal cancer undetected prior to autopsy.

All this on top of a house fire in May that flattened my boyfriend's home of 25 years, killed his dog, 11 rescued cats and 1 of elder gentleman of mine, "Eclair," who was there only because the house was a few minutes from the vet, and we were preparing to take him for a vet visit to remove a skin tag.

So, today, I need to find an expert practice that can provide the radiation therapy Dov needs, and whatever treatment Sweet little miss Pea needs. Bueno still has stitches in his mouth and is wearing an e-collar; he gets fed through an esophageal tube.

You know: all these happenings are really stressful! I am searching for a way to cope effectively if not in fact gracefully. All the cats, healthy and health-challenged, need to get fed and medicated every day, the litter boxes have to be kept clean, and we have to be able to go on day to day loving one another and having some fun!

But in the last couple of days, since I've watched Sweet Pea's leg swell and seen her limping worsen while I try to find expert care for her (living on a farm upstate New York 51 miles from absolutely nowhere has its drawbacks!), I'm spending too much time stunned, wanting to weep, unable even to do the dishes (I wish I was one of those people who didn't care about recycling, and didn't have to wash every can and throw it in the bin to take to the transfer station every week--it would save time & energy not to care about the future of the Earth, eh?).

How have you coped with heartbreaking, emotionally devastating situations? What have you learned, so that when you looked back, you said, "If only I knew then what I know now!" What got you through? How did you cope with performing ordinary, daily, necessary tasks, when all your energy went to maintaining a sense of hope for the future?

Thank you so much for your input.

:heartshape:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I know that les26 les26 has mentioned holy basil as a way to deal with major stress...
I'm so sorry this is happening to you!
My gosh you have enough problems for 10 people and then some, so so sorry that you are having to deal with all this badness!

Like Furballsmom said, I was told about Holy Basil a few years ago after Sebastian died in my arms one night after coming home from work, very sudden and catastrophic, and then other bad things going on in my life the same time. It is an herb that is non addicting, and is called an "adaptogen" which means it helps you clearly think and with a calmer mind deal with the stress, it is still there but it helps your body and mind deal with it in a healthier way. It helped me very much, I took it for awhile and then stopped and still do take it here and there if I am feeling stressed, and it also seems to increase energy and mood. Also exercise, even going for a walk helps, and lots of clean water, and of course sleep to help deal with things, and I also like prayer, pray for strength and guidance, and I will do that for you and hope that life eases up on you, your cup overfloweth with problems my friend!

God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy Macaroni gammycatpurrson gammycatpurrson . No wonder you feel stressed out.
Might I be a nice person to add that your post is very well written, very thought out? You seem pretty strong and emotionally set, having dealt with all this in such a short period of time. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump::hearthrob:
I see a lot of 13/14 year old cats and a lot of siblings/relations in your writing, and sometimes these problems can only thank genetics which does seem to have a factor in these illnesses. Which, for those of us who love them, absolutely sucks, but without your loving care and sharp eye to notice problems, who knows where they would be now?
I'm not a HUGE tea drinker but sometimes it does calm my nerves a bit.
You've had a LOT thrown at you, being able to seemingly think as straight as you are makes me kind of jealous. I'd be losing my marbles if I were in your shoes.
It sounds hokey as hell but maybe keeping a journal (either written or typed) to just go over what's happened, clear your thoughts, and get some of this off your chest might help. If we get these things down on paper, or type, we can go back in a day or two (or 10, or 6 months, a year, etc.) and re-read them and accept what has happened (the deaths/fire, etc.) and focus ourselves into dealing with the matters that are presenting themselves now, today.
You sound like a very strong, classy person that I'd be honored to know. Hang in there. Oh, and....:rock:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh! And I thought I had gone through hell when, over a period of 2 years, I had a cat with a rare and hard to diagnose disease, with consequent stressful visits, tests, travels, surgeries and expenses. Then, only two months later, a carcinoma, with new therapies and travels and expenses. And eventually her death.
And the other cat with hyperthyroidism that my vets refused to treat, so that I had to do all on my own, looking for a facility and going to that facility, right after I had lost my car in a road accident. The same cat with a liver failure, the vets who didn't know what to do, until her death a few weeks ago.
And my bank account reduced to ashes because of all I had been through.

My last 2 years have been a walk in the park, compared to what you had.
And yet you still have the strength to tell about it.
You must have a strong heart, I would have died in your place.
Before such an extraordinary example of courage, I think that none of us can give you an advice, but we have to bow in front of you and take you as a model for our life.

May God bless you and straighten the path before your feet. I think that nobody else deserves this more than you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gammycatpurrson

Dilemma: I love cats. I love mice.
Kitten
Purraise
You are all so kind! I'm so glad I joined!

:bouquet:

I want to reply individually with my thanks, but here I am again at 5AM, up all night, fretting. I will have to return when rested.

Staying up all night is not the best way to cope, but, I haven't found something better! My boyfriend told me he knows *just* the thing. I was so surprised, I asked, "What?!" He said, "Yup--but I gave up drinking!" For me, it's those goofy remarks that are the glue.

After lots of deliberation, reading, and telephone calls, I decided Oradell Animal Hospital is the best place to take Sweet Pea for an excisional biopsy, xray, lymph node aspirate, and possibly CT if appropriate at the moment. 10AM this morning, we'll be off (2 hour drive).

Bueno's wound has dehisced (why can I never be sure I've spelled that right? Such a weird word) a third time, so I am hoping the same popular Dr. Carol Carberry who does Sweet Pea's biopsy will repair the inside of Bueno's mouth.

Anyone have an opinion of Oradell, or familiar with Dr. Carberry?