Mr. Fluff Has Changed

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember our cats Honey and Mr. Fluff from the thread I created for advice on getting the two to peacefully together after we adopted Mr. Fluff. Mr. Fluff has been with us for about a month now, and while Honey still won’t allow physical contact with him she has continued to slowly improve on how close she’s let him get. Mr. Fluff has started to display odd behavior. A few weeks ago he slowly started becoming more playfully aggressive and it’s now at the point where I can’t pick him up or touch him without him biting me. It doesn’t seem like he’s actually trying to hurt me, if I’m holding him he’ll bite my shoulders and arm jump down and start running in circles trying to get me to chase him around the room, which he really seems to enjoy. He also only tries to bite me when I hold him, not my boyfriend. Mr. Fluff also likes to stalk us from behind doors and try to attack our legs at random times throughout the day. We’ve tried playing with him more, (he really loves chasing the red laser dot around and he’s got a weird obsession with a plastic grocery bag that he carries around,) but we can’t seem to satisfy his desire for playtime so he basically initiates it at any given time throughout the day. Any advice for how to help Mr. Fluff calm down?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
but we can’t seem to satisfy his desire for playtime so he basically initiates it at any given time throughout the day. Any advice for how to help Mr. Fluff calm down?
Great to hear that Mr Fluff is now more playful and adapted to the surroundings.

What he's doing is cat thing as in ambushing you as though you are his prey. Observe his actions and try not to touch him or carry him if he's in the defensive mood.

My boy too, likes to be chased around and that gets him to exercise. He has other forms of game that I play with him that gives him some exercises too.

Having said all these and back to your question on how to calm him down is play with him, chase him around and when he's tired from all that running, feed him. Form this habit of play, being chased or chasing him or anything that drains his energy, then eat. A tired body with a full tummy will get him to rest and sleep till the next session.

You did not mention how old he is and is he neutered? If he's no longer a kitten and is neutered, he'll still play quite a bit but will also nap quite a lot as this is normal.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went back and read your previous thread (Trying To Introduce A New Cat).

Do you think he has just adjusted enough to put on his 'full play mode'. He is 2yo, so while he still can have kitten behavior, he is over the 'real kitten' stage.
Was he just too shy before to demonstrate these kinds of behavior during the first month? Does he also attack Honey, or just you? Does anyone know his background before you got him - perhaps, in a comfortable setting he was attacking before?

I think you are going to have to watch his behavior and determine when he might be getting on 'overload', and then stop playing/cuddling with him and maybe ignore him for a minute or two. The holding him and he bites, is something you can work on by either saying "Owww" and putting him down, or even hissing at him and then putting him down - again with ignoring him for a few minutes following.

Maybe some insight in these articles?

Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

Cat Aggression Toward People

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great to hear that Mr Fluff is now more playful and adapted to the surroundings.

What he's doing is cat thing as in ambushing you as though you are his prey. Observe his actions and try not to touch him or carry him if he's in the defensive mood.

My boy too, likes to be chased around and that gets him to exercise. He has other forms of game that I play with him that gives him some exercises too.

Having said all these and back to your question on how to calm him down is play with him, chase him around and when he's tired from all that running, feed him. Form this habit of play, being chased or chasing him or anything that drains his energy, then eat. A tired body with a full tummy will get him to rest and sleep till the next session.

You did not mention how old he is and is he neutered? If he's no longer a kitten and is neutered, he'll still play quite a bit but will also nap quite a lot as this is normal.

The shelter said he was neutered and that he was two years old.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that his name is Mr. Fluff!!! Is he the one in your avatar picture?

That said it sounds like normal kitten/teen play behavior. My punk was a unholy terror as a teen! I survived by figuring out I needed to tire him out mentally and physically. Outside time saved him from being shaved! Teaching him to go out on the harness should help. Also a few bird feeders set up so he can watch them from a window should help a ton to. I now have another siamese teen kitten and well because he gets plenty of play time, daily time outside time to wander around on his harness and bird feeders he is no where near punk levels! He is just a twerp.

About the attacking: pretend it hurts way more than it does, every time. I do loud wailing ow but whatever loud command you want (also a higher pitch helps drive home that what he did hurt you!) Carry keys around if necessary and drop them on the ground with a firm ‘No!’ When he attacks you. He is treating you like a sibling and just wants to play (in all fairness to his Fluffiness, it isn’t his fault you don’t have protective fur.) About cuddling? I will play for 5-10 minutes, then sneak a minute or two of petting followed by more play. If they start looking twitchy or ready to attack then out comes the toy. I used to lure my punk on my lap with wand toys, pet him, then play with him. A strict household policy of ‘toys not hands’ will help to (remember he is still learning the house rules.)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it seems like he wants to play with you as if you were a cat! :-) My theory would be that he is sort of stimulated by another cat's presence but i understand he cannot play with Honey yet, so he sorts of invites you to play instead. Hopefully they will start to play each other so that he has someone with fur to chase around :)

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love that his name is Mr. Fluff!!! Is he the one in your avatar picture?

That said it sounds like normal kitten/teen play behavior. My punk was a unholy terror as a teen! I survived by figuring out I needed to tire him out mentally and physically. Outside time saved him from being shaved! Teaching him to go out on the harness should help. Also a few bird feeders set up so he can watch them from a window should help a ton to. I now have another siamese teen kitten and well because he gets plenty of play time, daily time outside time to wander around on his harness and bird feeders he is no where near punk levels! He is just a twerp.

About the attacking: pretend it hurts way more than it does, every time. I do loud wailing ow but whatever loud command you want (also a higher pitch helps drive home that what he did hurt you!) Carry keys around if necessary and drop them on the ground with a firm ‘No!’ When he attacks you. He is treating you like a sibling and just wants to play (in all fairness to his Fluffiness, it isn’t his fault you don’t have protective fur.) About cuddling? I will play for 5-10 minutes, then sneak a minute or two of petting followed by more play. If they start looking twitchy or ready to attack then out comes the toy. I used to lure my punk on my lap with wand toys, pet him, then play with him. A strict household policy of ‘toys not hands’ will help to (remember he is still learning the house rules.)
Hi Danteshuman! Honey is the one in the picture, but I will include a photo of Mr. Fluff. We have taken Mr. Fluff outside twice on a harness, which he seemed to enjoy. He doesn't show much interest in the birds on our porch, but Honey loves watching them from her cat tower everyday. We're going to try pretending the bites hurt more than they do and see if that helps, along with the other suggestions. :)

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr. Fluff update. He’s still biting, but now he’s immediately ignored if he does it. Pretending it hurts more then it does seems to help sometime, but since his favorite room is the bedroom, he will still sometimes sneak up on me when I’m changing clothes and wrap himself around my ankle, bite down and refuse to let go. He’s become strangely obsessed with sitting in the middle of the floor in the bedroom with his plastic grocery bag and will run back to the bedroom when we bring him into the living room. We keep the bedroom door open so he’s free to come and go as he pleases but he doesn’t seem to want to join us in any other room. He occasionally will come out but only to watch Honey sleep. He likes to go right up to where she is and just stare at her, though if she makes any movements he’ll run away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like some progress with his biting!

As far as him still preferring the bedroom, he is still likely trying to sort out his new home - it's only been a month or so, right? Not that long really.

Just don't force him to be where he doesn't want to be, let him come and go from the bedroom - that is still in his mind his safe zone. You should see him venture out more frequently and stay longer as time passes. And, always be sure to spend some time with him everyday in his safe zone.