Moving With Two Cats

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, after successfully integrating two cats, getting them to tolerate each other and getting the shy guy to warm up to my wife and I, we are moving. Not like that is going to upset the balance we have achieved.

What I read about moving ONE cat is much like bringing a new cat into your home - set them up in a safe room and give them a little time as you start to expand their horizons. But what about two cats - do we need two safe rooms? I would like to only have one room because it is so much simpler but I know that I'll have to watch the boys to make sure that they are comfortable in it together (or, rather, that they don't start fighting in an enclosed space with no place to run and hide).

Any idea how long it will take before they can be left on their own in the house? I know it depends, but our first cat was out of his safe room except for when we were at work after one night and had free run of the house day and night after a week. The new cat took maybe two weeks before we gave him the run of half the house.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In case you haven't seen these articles there may be things that help;
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

About the one room vs two, I would go with your thought of trying one room - you can place a couple or more empty boxes with the cats' blankets and/or pillows and such not inside so that they have places to call their own. If you don't have blankets, put a couple down now so that they use them and get their scent all over them before the move.

The thing with moving is that you don't want your cats being able to disappear without you knowing where they are, both while you are packing as well as on the other end when you're unpacking. Plus they will be unhappy in rooms where things and furniture are still being moved around. If it were me I'd take as much time as necessary and then only let them into areas that are as finished/settled as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Luckily, we can do the move in stages. We plan on moving in with minimal stuff (and the cats and their stuff) before the movers come to the old place. General plan is Friday begin move into new house, Saturday movers pack; Sunday movers deliver (it is a local move - they might do everything on Saturday). In theory we would like to get as much unpacked on Sunday as possible so that Sunday or Monday we can let the boys out for a while.

I get what you are saying about letting things settle down before letting them loose. I also know people who are still unpacking after a year.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think if they get along ok, one room would work. we did one room when we just moved but our cats have known each other a real long time. and separating them might undo your integration. we moved two older cats and gave them free rein after a couple of days. they did not come out very much though for awhile. then we introduced two new kittens i found. that was way tougher.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we had all the big moves down before we moved the cats, so i would give it a couple days after big move

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, moving day is two days away. And I'm nervous. The plan is to move them into the new house the day before the move - my wife and I are going to do a sleepover with all of us in one room. We'll lock them into the room and threaten the movers if they open the door.

My big worry is getting Barry into his carrier. It has been out in our bedroom for weeks and we kind of toss toys into it, but Barry is a wary kitty. My plan is to put the carrier on end, pick Barry up like I am going to put him on the bed (been doing that for weeks) and then as gently and quickly as possible drop him into the carrier and close the door.

There is a 50/50 chance that the other cat will just walk into his carrier. We love him, but he's kind of dumb.

Wish me luck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::crossfingers:
You have a good plan regarding getting Barry in!! Actually, I like your plan so much with the fakeout of being put on the bed but instead... I might just have to try that in THIS household :thumbsup:

Also, if you think you'll need these, in addition to diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit of calming products.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

:goodluck:

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we also moved at the same time as integrating new cats. the integration was more difficult then getting them used to the new house. we started out the two older cats in our room, and the two new cats in the basement cause they literally had not even met yet (bad timing, we found the two kittens and i could not part with them). anyway, I would not let them out of the room until all the big furniture items are in, of course, and then open the house up slowly to them after the big stuff is there (like keep basement, if any, closed off at first) regarding getting the cat in the carrier, does he have nails and scratch? we have a cat that is extremely difficult to get in, and that is the way to do it, with the carrier standing in, and butt in first. we actually have to swaddle the cat in a blanket, cause he is a scratcher as well when this occurs. Good luck!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats are finally integrated and relatively happy with each other. Barry was a feral/TNR cat who spent a long time in a Petsmart shelter. He is super sweet (to me) but super wary (of everyone). He is not a biter or scratcher, except for the one time I rubbed his belly and he gave me a swipe and a love bite here and there.

(Here's Barry and Duncan's story: When To Introduce New Kittens)

It has taken a long time to build Barry's trust and I know this move is going to be a big set back, but I should be able to build that trust back up.

Tonight I move the carrier into position.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:vibes::crossfingers:
You have a good plan regarding getting Barry in!! Actually, I like your plan so much with the fakeout of being put on the bed but instead... I might just have to try that in THIS household :thumbsup:

Also, if you think you'll need these, in addition to diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit of calming products.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

:goodluck:
The takeout move was not the best receiced. Barry panicked, peed ant the went into feral mode just wadded up in a tight protective ball. And it freaked Duncan out too, badly with a plaintive meow I've never heard before. So we rush getting everything together an d over to the new house Barry hid all weekend but came out and was cuddly Sunday morning until the commotion started again

With Duncan I put the carrier on the table with the opening right at the edge and picked Duncan up carried him over and he walked right in. Duncan is odd though. I don't hold him as much as his sits on my arm I can carry him around the whole house like that

The boys are loose in the new house and cautiously exploring. Let's see what tonight brings

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow!
So how are things progressing now?
Surprisingly well. We let them loose Sunday night and they stayed mostly upstairs near the room we kept them in. Monday morning I got both of them to play a little bit and by Monday night they were mostly back to their playful selves. Mostly - they are both a little skittish and freaked out by the new noises in this house and the smell of the prior owner's dog.

The general day-to-day things are a little different, like they eat a little less right now and they play differently, but I expect a new routine to develop in a few weeks after the moving and unpacking is finished.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ugh, bummer, does a calming diffuser make any difference?
I used feliway before and felt that it really didn't do anything.* They will randomly meow in one of the bedrooms (the prior owner's son's room, I think the dog spent a lot of time there) and they sniff around a lot. Barry who is generally silent was meowing up a storm in that room. They are not spraying, peeing or pooping inappropriately so I'm just going to ride it out.

*Feliway's instructions say it takes two to three (four? I forget) weeks to work, but really a month is enough time for a lot of issues to work themselves out.