Moving With Cats, Help!

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am moving on Monday. My original plan was to bring the cats to the new house Monday with me and the dogs after the movers pack up my house. Then I was thinking about the fact the movers will be at the new house unloading, and the tv and internet people will be coming that day, and also the ADT person will be coming Thursday which means he has to access all doors etc...I’m worried about the cats being stressed out by all that, I know a move is stressful enough for cats. So I feel I have two options and not sure which to do. Option one, I can leave them in my old empty house with food and water until Thursday after the guy leaves and pick them up, only issue with that is my landlord might be showing the house and there is a chance they could get out. Option two is boarding them at the animal hospital I work at starting today till Friday, it just seems like a long time for them to be boarding in cages. Not sure what to do. Any recommendations? Thanks.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new place! When I move I leave the cats in one room (like a bathroom or empty space) with a sign reminding movers not to open it. Then once they finished moving all the stuff to the new place, I take them over to the new place.

That should work for the initial move and tv/internet people. As for the ADT people, can you leave one room to last and then put them in a carrier for the last room? Or place them in a bathroom or room they don’t need access to? It would be less disruptive than boarding them. It’s stressful for all involved, but that’s what I would do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Problem with the new house is that I don’t have a room for them anymore cause I have a roommate. I’m making the garage into their room where their litter boxes, food and water will be with access via cat door into the house to be with us. I didn’t think it through as far as moving and then all the people coming. One of the cats would be fine, but the other is a scar dry cat to begin with.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a friend who could take them for a few days? It would still be moving them into a strange environment twice within a short period, but might b less traumatic than boarding them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ended up taking them to work and boarded them. I set them up in a large dog kennel, with the beds and a box and even a little “house” type thing to sleep inside. My co workers will give them lots of love while there. I am trying to get my manager to come drop them off for me at the new house in the evening after everyone is gone. By then I can have their room set up too. This way it will only he two nights boarding. After much thinking I decided it was safer this way for them, I feel bad they are being boarded but if they got out at the old house while I’m moving or at the new house I’d be devastated. But thankfully my co worker said they are doing well and even making biscuits, and seek content. Miss the little guys!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t feel bad, any of the options would have been stressful for them since all of it is change. Sounds like a great solution since they are nice and safe.