Moving With An Outdoor Cat/coyotes??

miaray1013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago I posted a frantic post about moving with my outdoor cat who was going to be an indoor cat for a while: Just Moved, Cat Is Stressed! Help Please

She adjusted well and we recently had our final move to our permanent home. The plan all along was to let the surround construction die down (its a new development), and then let her back outside.

I have a few concerns.
A neighbor told us that when they let their cat out, it got eaten by coyotes fairly soon after. Now, my cat survived 8 years in a coyote ridden neighborhood. But she knew the land, the drainage system, and had a cat door to our garage. Here, the land is totally new, the houses all look the same mostly (would she recognize hers?), and we have no cat door (stupid HOA).

We would rather her be an outside cat, but come in when she pleases. And she would definitely rather be an outdoor cat - I know she dreams about all the mice she wishes she was catching.

I'd rather her remain an indoor cat for the next half of her life than be eaten or attacked by a coyote.

1. Does anyone know anything about moving with an outdoor cat?
2. How much do they learn about their surroundings and how quickly? Like I said, these houses all look the same. Would she know our yard/house?
3. What are the chances she'd run away and try to go back to the old home?
4. She's fast and a fighter, but if she doesn't know where to go, what are her chances she'd be eaten??

Sorry for a long post. Just worried about her happiness and safety.

I welcome all thoughts and opinions, thank you!!!

Abby and Mia

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if your cat survived years of coyotes, it was luck. she could continue to be lucky, or a coyote or owl will eat her. it's not unusual at all for that to happen. since my cat years ago was poisoned by probably eating a rat or mouse that was poisoned by neighbors, i have never let another cat outdoors. several of my cats died because they were run over by cars or from disease they picked up from other cats that wasn't one we vaccinate against.

if you feed her and she has her familiar humans and stuff with her familiar smells, chances aren't very good she'd try and fine her own home, but she could go looking.

once the cat has time to get used to specific smells of the new place, she'll come home, but she may have a very different take on this. perhaps in her eyes, all the yards are her new yard.

coyotes are very fast with longer legs than cats, they're much larger and they sometimes travel in groups. they're also smart. if you look at some of the barn cat threads here, you'll see that a lot of barn owners keep needing more cats as coyotes keep eating them. i read one just this morning.

if you're willing to continue to take the risk that your cat won't come home one day, probably due to becoming a coyote snack, you can pretty much do what you want. if you don't want that to happen, you'll have to keep her indoors, and at first she'll kick up a fuss.

or why not talk to the HOA manager or the closest vet and ask about cats disappearing, probably eaten, and see what they say.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What are the chances she'd run away and try to go back to the old home?
Although your cat isn't a feral, the idea is the same;
It can be 6-8 weeks for a transplanted feral to acclimatize to the new location to the point that it will stay, and if it is able to wander, it will simply leave your new place.

Can you build a catio?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would either make her an indoor or get used to the fact that she might possibly be eaten by coyotes. And she will just generally have a shorter life than an indoor cat. My penny ran out one time and came back the same night with her back leg almost hanging off. 3000$ later she still has her leg but will likely live a shorter life and already has joint issues at 6-7. That’s just what comes with outdoors. It isn’t safe for a small cat. It also isn’t good for the environment. Outdoor cats are the worst invasive species to ever happen to most parts of the world and have aided in the extinction on hundreds if not thousands of species. I will never advocate for outdoor cats. Yes it may let them stretch their legs more but that is the ONLY benefit of a cat being outdoors. And to me that just isn’t worth it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I always believe that cats are safest when strictly indoors only. I had a semi feral that is now a strictly indoor cat. She used to complain and darted out the door when there was an opportunity. Now she is adjusted and just lays by the window watching the birds and movements outside.

If there is a possibility that you can build a catio as suggested, then it is way much better.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not the same situation as yours, but my cat was mostly outdoors for several years. I used to let her out in the daytime with supervision for 6 months when I boarded her, then made her fully indoors when I was allowed to adopt her. She also knows the layout of this neighborhood very well as she's been here most of her life, but I think she just got lucky that she wasn't eaten by a coyote. Our neighborhood isn't overrun with them, but there are still constant sightings. I'll also mention that we had an outdoor feral roaming the neighborhood a month or two back, but he abruptly disappeared - I think it's likely he ran into a coyote.

I would do some reading about coyotes - they are incredibly smart and incredibly fast - your cat will not be able to outsmart or outrun them. These are animals that stalk prey for extended periods of time and learn their schedules so they can plan an attack. They also do things like initiate play with dogs or lure them away from safety with female coyotes in heat.

If you can't build her an outdoor catio, catify the inside of your house the best you can. Get her some cat trees, build shelving for plenty of vertical space, and install perches on windows with good views. On the other side of the windows you can install bird feeders for entertainment.

Please keep her indoors. She will not get away from a coyote, especially in territory she's not familiar with where she doesn't have an escape route directly into your home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, it was mostly luck. If being familiar with the terrain was a free pass, so many cats wouldn't get eaten. No guaranty on getting back to the cat door.

Foxes and other cats are sometimes tolerable risks imho, but coyotes hunt cats to kill and are good at it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agree with everyone above. With regard to the catio concept - assuming your HOA will allow you to build one in the privacy of your own backyard - you can always construct/buy one that has a passage way from a window, such as the example below.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember your cat not only doesn't know the area and has no escape route (no cat door) but she's getting older and slower. Her senses aren't as sharp as they were when she learned the other territory.

I'm sorry you moved into and HOA, I don't think these should be encouraged because they really don't care about people, or pets, just vanity. Watch them carefully. In Atlanta HOAs are known for collecting money for utilities and not paying them. Suddenly the water or power is turned off and homeowners discover they own hundreds of dollars. The HOA person in charge just took the money and disappeared.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the neighbours cats are being killed by coyotes, I think yours will soon follow if you allow her outside.

I DO let my boys out and we do have coyotes. My Neighbors often loose their pets. But I sit with my cats while they are outside. Sometimes we are all outside together for a couple of hours a day. Drives my wife nuts.

I have fenced in a section of the yard. It wont keep coyotes out, but it keeps the cats in an area that I can easily watch. I am at their side, watching, protecting...constantly. I cant fall asleep, cant get immersed in my tablet, cant take on any job that demands attention, I watch the cats and their reactions and direction of their gaze, I listen for noise, I get up and patrol the compound, my shoes must be on my feet at all times, my laces tight in case i need to run, items to attack with always at the ready, its very time consuming, but I love the boys and it makes their life better.

I have chased off foxes, racoons, recently a coyote and a very large cat about to attack arnold.

I have also saved the lives of chipmunks and birds that the boys have caught.

20190319_131155.jpg
20190202_162711.jpg