Moving with a cat to EU

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don't need a pet passport to travel to the EU, it just makes it easier to travel once you have it. My understanding was that it's only issued in the EU. I went from the US to Germany and they required proof that my cat was microchipped with the correct type of microchip (double check that!! I had to get a second microchip because the one I got when she was a kitten wasn't compatible with the European chip readers), and that she had a rabies vaccine within a certain time window. This was all documented on the official form that included a certification from a vet that she was healthy (it needed to be certified by an official from the US Department of Agriculture after the normal vet signed it).

This website for the embassy in Dhaka has a contact form where you can email them.

http://bangladesh.nlembassy.org/locations/netherlands-embassy-in-dhaka.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yah, I contacted the embassy through this form. They said if the pet does not fulfill the requirements, it will be kept in quarantine in Netherlands for 4 months(vaccine+test+3 month waiting period). I wonder who would be government authority in Bangladesh in this case who could certify the documents. Can a vet from central government veterinary hospital(which is under the department of Livestock) be counted as government official to certify these? Thanks a lot to all of you for your great help :)

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that's a question that only the embassy can tell you. Good to know there's a quarantine and you won't have to worry about losing your cat if your papers are wrong!  :) It might also be a good idea to check with the airline what documents they're expecting to see, on my cat's flight out of the country the airline checked the documents before I could board. I'm not sure if they checked the details or just that it was the right document with the right stamps. Customs in Germany didn't even stop me to ask for papers, but maybe that's because my cat carrier looked like a normal bag (it's a black Sturdibag) and they didn't realize I was carrying a cat...

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sturdibag seems to be cozier option than crates.Sturdibag is has a see through front side, right? how can they not see it? :S

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news that there is a quarantine facility in the Netherlands, where you can arrange for your cat to stay. As for the documents., ~I would ask the veterinary hospital - there is a good chance they could do it and if not, they will probably know who to contact. In Britain it is the Department of Agriculture who authorises certain vets to to do official jobs like that. so maybe you could also try your government ministry in charge of animals, I know it was a bit of a joke, but for the sakeof everybody who may read this, PLEASE do not even consider trying to smuggle your cat through - that way leads to certain death for the cat and a hefty fine for you!

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I talked to a vet in central veterinary office, and he provided me information on who to contact about government official.

Never in thousand lives would I ever think of smuggling my cat! I would rather stay in my home country with her :)