Moving The Litter Box

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Sookie's litter box in the same spot since the day we brought her home. I only had to show her once where it was and I haven't had any issues. Today I got a kitchen table and chairs and I'm debating on moving her litter box. It's not bothering me where it is but it may bother future dinner guests. Does anyone have any tips on how to move it without much confusion or accidents? Thank you so much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It's suggested to move a litterbox slowly by small increments, just a few inches even, so that you eventually end up where you want it.

Or you could buy a second one, place that where you want it, and then after a while, --or only when you have guests, remove the first one. There's a rule of thumb that advises to have one box per cat plus one, so you'd have two litterboxes. --it's something to keep in mind, sometimes cats end up developing a preference of peeing in one and pooping in the other :)

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to travel with 2 cats. I can't tell you how many hotels we stayed in. Well over 50 I'm sure. We would put down the litterbox and show them where it was and there were never any accidents. I don't know if we were just lucky, or if being in a small hotel room they could always smell where it was.;)
That being said, I would buy a second litterbox and put it in the new location. (A single cat should have 2 boxes anyway) Once she gets used to using box #2 you can relocate box #1.