Moving Litter Box But Worried About Consequences

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

A month ago, my 1 year old female cat Cinnabon started pooping and peeing in ONE specific corner of the first floor. She still used her litter box, but it would be about 50/50 for litter box/corner.

To remedy this, I put a second litter box down where the corner is, and she started using that litter box. So now she has two litter boxes and uses both of them.

The problem now is that this corner where the second litter box is, is in our dining room. For obvious reasons, this is not ideal. First, we are supposed to have company over this weekend and I don't want to gross people out by having them eat right next to a litter box. The bigger issue is that I don't want to have the litter box there long-term.

However, I'm terrified that if I move the box somewhere else, she's going to start going on the carpet again! I don't know what it is about that spot that is so appealing. Before putting the second box there, I cleaned the carpet there thoroughly 3x already to get rid of the smell, and she peed there afterwards anyways. Her other litter box is in a quiet, private area in the upstairs bathroom, always clean, the same litter we've been using for ages, etc.

Any suggestions/tips for how to move the second box successfully?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, thoroughly clean the carpet in that corner with a good enzymatic cleaner so that she cannot smell herself there anymore. Then (and this will take some time) begin edging the box, a few inches at a time, into a more appropriate place. That, or get a really good odor control litter and a pretty screen for the box, OR something like this:

There are several variations on this theme. A quick google will bring up LOTS of options.

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but as well as what has already been suggested, maybe you could move something into that corner once the litter box has gradually been moved out? I had the same problem in my kitchen, and I left the litter box there until one day, like you :lol:, guests were planned to come round. I moved the litter box to where I had originally planned for it to be, thoroughly cleaned the area, and put his food bowl there instead! No problems since.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I learned to move a litter box was gradually do it. Move it a few feet away toward the desired location every day. It has always worked for me. I am sure with your party approaching you won't have time. If people are coming over, i would move the cat into a safe bedroom with the litter box and leave her there for the duration of the party so she doesn't become frightened with all the strange smells and people.