Moving in two months and cats are still at visual stage

GHsaltie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, Leaf 7y and Summer 4y, that I have been working on introductions since August of last year. I have another thread on here, not sure how to link it, with background info and how the last several months have been going. It's under the name "Need help introducing two cats". Leaf camps out in the spare bedroom with time out once or twice a day and Summer has free reign of the apartment the rest of the time. I have a baby gate set up in the spare bedroom door and for the past week have been leaving it open while I'm home and throughout the night. They have slowly been getting better with this.
So my current dilemma is that my husband and I are moving to a new apartment in two months. I don't feel they are quite ready for face to face intro, but I'm not sure if I should switch the current dynamic and have Summer stay primarily in the spare bedroom or leave things as they are. Another member had also suggested the idea of harness training them and letting the first face to face intro be that way, which I think is a good idea but still don't think they are for that quite yet.

cat nap cat nap

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The new space will be free from both of their scents and they will be on an equal footing. If you let them meet when you move, it will likely go smoothly because neither will have claimed anything yet. In my experience, this is actually easier. You know their personalities though so you have to use your best judgment.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had two cats and introduced a third adult to the mix. We found that anytime something traumatizing happened (we went on vacation, we moved etc) they bonded more and more.

So in addition to the neutral territory, having them move house together may help things along. Good luck!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with both previous posts but I would keep them totally separate for at least a couple days post move so they can each emotionally calm down so that they aren’t on edge and hissy. In that condition anything can set a cat off and you don’t want their first meeting in the new place to be negative