Moving From A 1 Cat Household To 3

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Newbie to this site but desperate for some advice.

I currently have 1 cat (who is the apple of my eye). She’s 18 months old and extremely playful and loving.

I’ve been thinking about getting another cat for companionship as she’s so playful and I hate the idea of her being by herself and bored when I’m at work (she’s an indoor cat).

One of my friends’ cat had a litter of kittens and asked me if I was interested in any of them. I visited and grew attached to 2 kittens so I brought them home to trial how they interacted with my resident cat for the night.

The resident cat hissed at them but otherwise kept her distance.

She’s a very good natured cat so I think she will accept the new kittens eventually. But I need advice on some of my concerns

- am I doing a disservice to my resident cat? I want to make sure she’s not lonely when I’m not there but I don’t want her to be stressed or feel sad at there being more cats in the house.

- is 3 cats too much? It’s just my mum and I in the house. It’s 2 stories - 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, laundry, a rec room, lounge room and kitchen. Is that enough space for 3?

I’d appreciate any advice on this as I’m genuinely torn. These kittens will be placed in a shelter otherwise (and I can’t handle the thought of them going there) but I equally don’t want to upset my resident cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, if ALL you had was hissing on an overnight trial, you're doing very, VERY well. Proper cat introductions can take weeks, sometimes even months, to complete. Cats just aren't "play date" critters. They are far to territorial. HOWEVER, it sound very much like these three will make a fairly easy accommodation with each other. Read over the articles that tabbytom tabbytom has recommended. They are excellent. Just remember that you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat. Let THAT cat set the pace, and you'll be fine. Thankfully, the two kittens will almost certainly take out most of their energy on each other, and your current cat will catch a break here and there!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely have enough space for 3 kitties so no worries about that. You can arrange some vertical options for them as well to increase their territory.

Are all your cats spayed/neutered? They must be to have a peaceful cohabitation (not mentioning the risk of them getting pregnant if they're not).
Good luck!

Nazneen123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the comments above, they'll be fine and they got plenty of space.. Will make a great entertainment for you when they play with each other! Especially the kittens! Good luck and all the best! And please keep us updated :) We don't mind pictures too :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice.

We just tested all of them together over the Easter weekend. The plan was to keep the kittens in a separate room with their own food, water and litter.

To my surprise, the resident cat handled it very well. There was no hissing or growling, they’d play and she was a little too rough at the start (due to the size difference) but has since become more gentle during play time.

They share food, litters and water (not sure if that usually happens) with no arguments and the kittens have started to cuddle up to the resident cat.

So happy with how it’s gone so far. And the apple of my eye seems to have really enjoyed the company (she even cries at their door when we give them space from each other).

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came across your thread now, so welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on the smooth introductions between your beautiful resident cat, and the adorable kittens. :cheerleader: Sounds like they've already become a happy feline family. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just came across your thread now, so welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on the smooth introductions between your beautiful resident cat, and the adorable kittens. :cheerleader: Sounds like they've already become a happy feline family. :catlove:
Thanks very much for the welcome!

The resident cat is currently upstairs having some time by herself. I’m assuming that’s normal for them to want to take breaks from the very energetic and clingy kittens? (They follow her around everywhere)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your resident cat isn't too much older than a kitten herself, but for sure she'll need a break from them now and then. :catman:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, let her have a break. And don't fret if she occasionally gives them a swat or two. That's all part of teaching them manners. So long as it isn't an out and out fight (fur in the air, blood on the floor), it's perfectly normal.