Moving Away, Take them Along?

Samyoz1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm starting my PhD soon in the US and I'm moving there. I have two cats, the older Tiger (5 years old) and Max (4.5 years)
And I've been contemplating taking them along for a while but could not come to a clear answer. I really love them and want to take them. It's just I'm not sure they are gonna like it there.
For one thing, they have lived all their lives in houses that exceed 2000 sqft. The apartment I am moving in is 700 sqft. So, my first question is would they adjust to that? Especially since they lived many years in large houses.
I thought of taking them and if it's going to be a problem then I can send them home but that is going to cost me +2000$ easily.
Tiger makes it very difficult to live in peace if he's not happy for one reason or another.
Maybe I can leave them at my parents' here. But I went to the UK before for one year and I missed them A LOT. Also I want to take them. But I'm concerned about the space issue.
I can take them for walks every now and then, but in my experience, that becomes mandatory as Tiger can be VERY VOCAL demanding it every day and/or every time he wishes so. So, I'm worried that will backfire on me lol. Maybe you think just leave Tiger then. But it's Tiger who I love and miss the most.

I don't know guys. What do you think?
Anyone with any experience or advice?

Thank you a lot guys

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had two cats in a one bedroom. It can definitely be disruptive to your sleep. And that is cats used to a one bedroom. But many people do it and its not like you have two kittens or one year olds.

I think they would adjust in time, but certainly there could be some added stress for a while. How much stress/disruption can you handle while your doing your PhD?

If they have a great caretaker to take care of them in their familiar space, its a hard choice I think.

P.S. Its pretty easy to bring cats in the US, but some individual states have additional requirements, so make sure you checked the state your flying into. Some airlines may also have additional requirements

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mentioned in the previous post, you will be very busy and time-challenged, but to leave them is a difficult choice also :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samyoz1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had two cats in a one bedroom. It can definitely be disruptive to your sleep. And that is cats used to a one bedroom. But many people do it and its not like you have two kittens or one year olds.

I think they would adjust in time, but certainly there could be some added stress for a while. How much stress/disruption can you handle while your doing your PhD?

If they have a great caretaker to take care of them in their familiar space, its a hard choice I think.

P.S. Its pretty easy to bring cats in the US, but some individual states have additional requirements, so make sure you checked the state your flying into. Some airlines may also have additional requirements
Thank you for your response.
At the first month I can handle a lot of stress, then my tolerance will go down gradually.