Moved Houses & Separated Cats :(

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

First off, I'm sure many others have been through this before, and I've been skimming through similar posts but figured I'd give a quick breakdown of my particular situation to get the most suitable responses.

I'm a crazy cat lady and owned many cats over the years. I'd like to think I'm clued up and informed about most things cat-related. However, this is the first time in 12+ years of owning cats that I actually feel a bit helpless.

I recently had to move from my old house where I lived with my own cat AND my roomies cat. My roomie had her cat first, and I rescued a kitten (as MY own cat), Viking, he was 10 weeks at that time, and Harley, my roomies cat was about a year. They bonded straight away. They did more than just bond, they absolutely loved each other. They were so happy together they sometimes didn't even notice their humans.
Then, Hurrican IRMA happened. I took both cats with me when we evacuated, as my roomie went to a different location & we figured it would be best to keep them together as traveling and storms may prove traumatizing. So we did. I had them both for about 5 weeks until we could return to our Florida home. But, sadly our apartment had extreme damage, in particular to my own bedroom walls. The walls were destroyed, and colored yellow due to rain water. I got mega sick from black mold. The landlord didn't do anything for 4 months until I HAD to move for my healths sake. Now... My roomie point blank refused to give up Harley (quite rightly so - it's her cat), and I was only really allowed 1 cat at the new place. I figured it would be fine.... Well, my health is fine now. I am not sick and don't cough anymore, but my little friend seems a little less happy. He has started to be quite vocal, and also more skittish than ever. (he was always more nervous than Harley, but after all the traveling/upheaval/moving etc he really will only come to me - there are only like 2 people that he allows to touch him).

I am worried he is unhappy and searching for Harley. He is an indoor cat, and there isn't a way to cat proof any outdoor area where I am now. I play with him as much as I can (favorite toy is Da Bird - a success amongst all my cats actually!), he has 2 cat trees, hidden mouse electric toy, laser pens, cat nip toys, silver vine sticks, wands, mice, chirpy bird toys.. He sleeps with me at night but obviously I have to also go to work. It means he's alone at least 8 hours, 4 days a week. (yes I know he's not a dog, but he is kind of needy). So really, he's by himself 8 hours, then I'm asleep 8 hours after work, that means he's kind of by himself 16 hours on some days. Please tell me I over worry?!
He is almost 1 year old now, and super smart. He loves fetching, and every morning I wake up he brings me a toy and drops it on my pillow to throw. Again, he IS indoors. I live on a busy street & I already lost 3 cats to the outdoors. He was okay in a harness before but still didn't like it. Now he's older I've tried putting the harness on a few times since I moved, just to take him for a little walk, but it stresses him out to the point he won't let me close to him for a good while. I feel awful.

I'd LOVE to get another cat. Problem is, my landlord made an exception for me, and allowed me to have one. He is allergic, and comes to stay on weekends in the spare room, so I really have to respect that. I'm working on getting him to say yes to a dog, but for me that's also another responsibility. Another cat would be better. (Viking loves dogs too, though.)

My question is - is there anything else I can try? A toy, a game.... I have feliway and just purchased a refill.

(sidenote: I rescued him and he was in a really bad way. He was tiny, had walking pneumonia, upper respiratory infection & a congested lung. His temperament was already not typically kitten-like because of it, and he was pretty shy. It just seems like it's gotten worse around people with the time. But, considering the circumstances - all the initial vet visits when I got him, a Hurricane, lots of traveling in cages with new people, new animals and new smells, and then having to move again, maybe he will settle in time?)

Am I overthinking this situation? Will he eventually get used to this place? Is he really happy deep down but just vocal so that I play with him? He does get what he want - maybe he's figured out that if he yells he gets my attention. It's been 6 weeks since I moved. My sister and mom (both cat ladies) tell me I'm way too sensitive about it. They say he is fine, loved and happy and just wants to play. I'm just feeling guilty and awful every day, sad that they had to be separated.
I know cats can live alone, but once they had that bond with another animal it's tragic to have to separate them.

Please advise. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:
Your Viking baby is gorgeous! And I can see how much he loved his feline friend. :catlove:

I'm hoping some other members will post with suggestions, meanwhile, here's an older TCS thread that addresses some of the same issues, and may be helpful: Working singles- leaving cat home alone

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that you are doing everything in your power to give Viking a happy, fulfilled life, and I actually think that you are succeeding pretty well. Six weeks is not all that long, and he's been through a LOT of upheaval in his young life. There may be some stress and maybe a touch of separation anxiety with him, and we have some articles that can certainly help with that! Although I'm sure he does miss Harley, he will adjust with time and lots of love (which he has in spades!).

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress
Separation Anxiety In Cats

And, in case he is grieving for Harley,
Do Cats Mourn?
In his world, "gone" and "dead" really have no difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them. I will go through each article on Monday when I have more time.
I got a Feliway diffuser (first one at the new house, not sure why I didn't think of bringing the old one, I was thinking Harley needed it more than Viking, doh!) and he seemed to calm down almost instantly. He seems okay, and more comfortable. These diffusers are really good.