Move first or last

tmwick10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to be moving into a new house soon. I have 10 year old tabny and 8 year old claico. Both are pretty well behaved, but I am not sure whether to move them into the new home first or last? And do I put them in a laundry room or bathroom?

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From a page on moving......
  • 4. The cat moves last! Many cats are lost during moves. This is due, in part, to the frenetic energy surrounding the day, along with the noise of the movers, and of course a consistently opened front door. With no place to hide in her own territory, she may well choose to get as far away from it as possible. Choose a room, preferably away from the noise and in a place where she spends a good amount of time, and after emptying it of all things to be moved, try to make a comfortable temporary territory for the cat. If possible, include a piece of cat furniture, preferably a condo with spaces to hide in as well as perches to get up on. Of course, your cat’s litterbox is sacred ground, and nothing should be changed the day of the move. Don’t be tempted to bleach out or otherwise sanitize her box on moving day; her own scent in the box is crucial to her sense of security. Provide her regular dishes, carrier (one that is already familiar to her), and even a favorite chair—having all of these things nearby can help keep the cat’s stress level from shooting up during moving day.

I would lock the cats in a room by themselves with food; water, and AC of course while you move stuff out of the house to avoid escapes and stress.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I moved several years ago with 7 cats and 4 dogs. The cats went last. Everyone was put in their own crate before the movers arrived. You may want to put your cats in a bathroom instead, but make sure that the door is never opened....which was my big fear that at the last minute someone like a mover would accidentally open a door. Once all the furniture was gone and in place in the new house and the boxes were also placed AND the movers were gone I started to move animals. Everyone safely made it. The one semi feral who was very difficult we moved the night before in a UHaul that my husband and I used for smaller items. She rode in the cab of course with us. The reason for that is that I was not sure that I could be able to get her in the morning. I put her in a bathroom in the new house with a huge sign, tape across the door, etc and in the course of the day, someone opened it. We did find her in the house, hiding behind all the mess, but I was sure I had lost her.

Most crucial part is that no one opens the door to the room where you have your cats. Installing a lock and then removing it on your way out of Dodge for the last time is not even a bad idea.

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the room, I'd suggest the bathroom - my opinion is that cats don't belong in the laundry room at all, as it tends to be filled with dangerous appliances and dangerous chemicals. I prefer "home base" to be a guest bedroom if possible, but I'd choose a bathroom over a laundry room if given those options.