Mousse / Whipped Texture

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of an affordable mousse textured wet cat food? That is, one that is very very smooth? Or do you know what I could add to pate cat food to make it more smooth? I experimented with some and found that whipping egg whites and then mixing with pate worked to give us the texture we need, but raw egg whites are not good for cats and cooking the food afterwards just turns it hard/rubbery so that's not a viable option. Unfortunately, mixing the pate with plain water doesn't give a smooth enough texture.

One of my cats struggles to get food into her mouth and she'll lick and lick and lick and basically all the food will still be on the plate/bowl, she only will have managed to lick the liquid up. She gets frustrated easily and once she's given up on a food, she won't try it ever again.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba pates are very soft, as are Weruva's BFF Play pates. Some foods can also be successfully whipped up a bit in a mini processor with a little additional water but that sometimes takes some experimentation.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try adding water and making a gravy type mix. You could also buy a food in gravy, add water and liquidize it. Either might work.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pate + an Immersion blender = cat food with a gravy texture. Some will be thicker than others, depending on how moist the food is to begin with or how much "gel" or broth is in the can. You can always add some water if you need it thinner but making it too soupy will mean it's less calorie dense by weight. In other words, you don't want the cat filling up on water and not getting enough calories.

I have no idea how one would go about whipping it into more of a mousse texture but if the cat prefers more of a smooth, liquidy texture the immersion blender should do the trick.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I don’t know the price or availability where you live but check if there’s Purina Gourmet Gold or better Pro Plan canned food; they have Kitten, Adult, Light, Delicate, Senior.

I believe Pro Plan ones except for Light are more nutritious than Gourmet Gold so it might cost cheaper even if it’s more expensive. Gourmet Gold is recommended 4 cans a day for a 4kg cat, Pro Plan delicate is 2-3 cans a day.

There’s also the brand Chef’s Choice, they have pate food but I have never tried it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found my nearly toothless 15 yo has developed a preference for stiffer foods. Not so much a gravy licker anymore. I am guessing something about her tooth configuration causes her some discomfort because she was an avid licker before the last round of extractions. Vet couldn’t find anything wrong or any reason to extract her remaining teeth in last dental. But anyway. For Krista, I either turn out the stiff pate just chopping it into a few stiff peaks for her to nibble on down to the bottom of the plate. She does a lot of “chewing” for a nearly toothless cat. She’s also warmed up to eating cold food probably because we can’t get much heat relief in our apartment but also because it remains stiffer longer. Less licking required.

But I had another thought. What if you added unflavored gelatin (and enough warm water to dissolve it) to blended food and let it set up like a jello? I don’t know if this is going to come out quite the right texture but you can always stir after. Experiment! Gelatin is good for their gut and joints and is an excellent source of essential amino acids.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of an affordable mousse textured wet cat food? That is, one that is very very smooth? Or do you know what I could add to pate cat food to make it more smooth? I experimented with some and found that whipping egg whites and then mixing with pate worked to give us the texture we need, but raw egg whites are not good for cats and cooking the food afterwards just turns it hard/rubbery so that's not a viable option. Unfortunately, mixing the pate with plain water doesn't give a smooth enough texture.

One of my cats struggles to get food into her mouth and she'll lick and lick and lick and basically all the food will still be on the plate/bowl, she only will have managed to lick the liquid up. She gets frustrated easily and once she's given up on a food, she won't try it ever again.
The only thing I can think of that would give it a true, mousse like texture would be buying some whole cream, and using an egg beater or a food processor to turn it to whipping cream and add the food to that. Our barn cats like cream, but they don't get that much and I don't know if that would be a good choice for your cat or not.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pouches of wellness core are very smooth. I would think adding a tablespoon of water and mixing would work if it's not thin enough. Or what about some kitten varieties?