Mouse bite

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Bond got bitten by a mouse last night. He was covered in blood and there was mouse parts everywhere. It honestly looked like a murder scene. I'm not sure he has hunting fully mastered yet to have him looking like Chainsaw Man after a hunt. Maybe I should have named him Denji.

Anyways cleaned him up and noticed a bite type wound on his cheek kinda swollen. I did get hold of the vet but can't go till tomarow.

I did put ice on it and the swelling went down.

Should I be concerned about him getting diseases? He has his rabies and fvcrp shots but needs a booster in a couple months.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have been hunting small prey for eons. But because they are our babies we get concerned over something like this. He had extreme fun is why he was covered in blood. It is VERY rare for a mouse or prey to pass along disease to a hunter that is fully vaccinated. my cats are ferals and have only had their one set of vaccinations (with their neuters) and have had swollen lips and paws from bites but have never died from it. And I have cared for strays and ferals for over 40 years. there is much more danger from cars, dogs, coyotes, and other ferals. He will more than likely get worms from eating the mice with their infected fleas, so I would include worming every 6 months, especially for TAPE worms, which many dewormers don't kill. I would first call the vet and ask, if you are worried and need to be assured. unless you keep him inside this will be a common occurance. My male catches two or three mice a day!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I was just writing something very similar to di and bob di and bob , although nowhere near as comprehensive.
However I'd still be going with the vet visit, in case the wound becomes infected, if it's still swelling or looks at all iffy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So the swelling is mostly gone now and the vet gave me a tube of hibitane just in case. She didn't see the need for heavier antibiotics since its not infected.