More Pentobarbital In Brands That Include Cat Food

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FDA to investigate after ABC7 exposes euthanasia drug in dog food

Much of the story goes back to the 2016 Evangers story about a can of their dog food killing a family's dog and severely sickening her other dogs. After that long long rehash, you get to the current story. A lab by the name Ellipse lab tested various brands of food and Big Heart Foods Gravy Train (also dog food) came back with a 60% rate of pentobarbital in it. Nine cans.

"Big Heart Brands is also the maker of Meow Mix, Milk Bone, Kibbles’n Bits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce and Snausages."

Like the Evangers issue from last year it suggests an unethical meat supply chain. The article doesn't say what flavor of Gravy Train. The Evangers issue was specifically with beef flavor.

Anyway note the presence of several brands under this umbrella that also make cat food.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad I got the kitties off Meow Mix! They are on American Journey Duck now with Friskies canned to start.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did a report on this subject for a college communication course. It's sad to see it just keeps getting worse. I can't wait for the day I'll be able to afford feeding all homemade raw.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm cynical (or maybe optimistic?). I don't think things are getting worse, I think they're getting better. The manufacturers are being caught and penalized! There are actual standards that are enforced! That's an improvement.

I shudder to think what they put in pet food back in the '60s, '70s, '80s. I've heard from dog owners who said they used to find chunks of hooves and bullets in canned dog food. If your dog got sick or died from eating a certain food, there was nothing you could do about it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. . .

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a report on this subject for a college communication course. It's sad to see it just keeps getting worse. I can't wait for the day I'll be able to afford feeding all homemade raw.
It's time consuming to make raw food starting completely with whole cuts of meat, or "from scratch", but the last 7 pound batch of raw mix I made cost $7.43 before supplements (which probably add less than a dollar).

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's time consuming to make raw food starting completely with whole cuts of meat, or "from scratch", but the last 7 pound batch of raw mix I made cost $7.43 before supplements (which probably add less than a dollar).
Where did you get meat so cheap?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get meat so cheap?
That mix was a pork loin and chicken thigh mix. Chicken thighs are always $1/lb and several times a year pork roasts are $1. About twice a year, pork top loin is $1. My beef mixes cost a bit more, as I get brisket at $2/lb and chuck or round at $3/lb. Hearts, gizzards, liver and other organs are always $1.39-$1.49. Stripped down chicken frames for bone are 79 cents. I do have extra freezer space and watch the weekly grocery ads like a hawk. An extra deep freezer pays for itself in 2-3 months. The best deals of the year are during the spring slaughter season...so I buy a lot of meat then, and again in the fall.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just googled article about a Washington DC tv station showing the results of samples of Big Heart products.....62 samples were positive

Was pretty brief but they do make meow mix and many others...drag and cat

Guess more to come as it develops

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
And also in Dog food: Gravy Train, according to Susan Thixton... so bad.. so sad.. what a commentary on our food system... so disgusting..

Did not know they own Meow Mix.. I have Meow Mix treats for Artie, and ONE plastic container of Meow Mix for him to eat... have been debating about that choice for a while.. think the dumpster may just get it...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone know how this got in the food? Cross-contamination? :eek3:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mostly likely it’s from the company’s meat supplier is not being very honest. Or big heart isn’t being very honest. Who knows. It happened with Evanger a as well and blue buffalo (not pento but by products were being put in without B.B. knowledge or so they said) someone is being dishonest somewhere. I’d just avoid everything they make as well. They make natural balance and another “premium food” as well. Can’t rememebr which one. I wouldn’t touch any of them anymore. Just like I don’t touch blue anymore.

Edit: nature’s recipe also is made by them from my understanding

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read about this. My cat is eating Natural Balance dry Green Pea and Duck and wet food which is Venison and green pea. I can't find where they have found anything wrong in the Natural Balance foods.

Dr_D

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I've read from the FDA page is that contaminated tallow--fat from animals--was sold to the manufacturer. Pet foods have to have certain levels of fat, and tallow is used to achieve those levels if there is not enough in the primary meat source. How the pentobarbital got into the tallow is still in question to my knowledge.

As a veterinarian, however, I'd much rather expose my animals to trace levels of pentobarbital than feed them raw foods, which I know to have a high risk of introducing dangerous, contagious bacteria such as Salmonella. I consider this a higher risk. Make your own cooked foods, but if you are worried about contamination, feeding raw food seems like an irrational solution, contrary to what you are trying to prevent. One note on making your own: you have to be very conscientious about making sure trace elements are included in the right proportion for long term health. For a few weeks or even months, it's not an issue. That said, my grandmother raised all her dogs on home cooked food (grandpa wouldn't let her spend money on dog food). She was meticulous about making it from leftovers and way ahead of her time in her knowledge about nutrition. They all lived to 18 and 19 years, which is an amazing record. So it is possible if you want to do the basic research and include the trace minerals and other nutrients.

One reader stated that things are getting better, and I agree. There are plenty of conscientious pet food makers. Back in the day, it was a free for all. For example, in the 50s Alpo tried that "all dogs need meat!" marketing, resulting in high meat diets. Because the calcium/magnesium ratio was skewed, dogs would actually dissolve their own bones by eating a pure Alpo (mostly meat) diet. They'd come into the clinic with "rubber jaw." You could bend their mandibles in your hands during an exam. So balanced nutrition is key and staying informed about contamination is essential.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems raw foods have the most recent recalls according to the fda website:

Recalls & Withdrawals

But I can understand the fear. We don't know where these suppliers are getting their ingredients. I can understand why people prefer to make their own. It's not something I have ever done, but I get it.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I've read from the FDA page is that contaminated tallow--fat from animals--was sold to the manufacturer. Pet foods have to have certain levels of fat, and tallow is used to achieve those levels if there is not enough in the primary meat source. How the pentobarbital got into the tallow is still in question to my knowledge.

As a veterinarian, however, I'd much rather expose my animals to trace levels of pentobarbital than feed them raw foods, which I know to have a high risk of introducing dangerous, contagious bacteria such as Salmonella. I consider this a higher risk. Make your own cooked foods, but if you are worried about contamination, feeding raw food seems like an irrational solution, contrary to what you are trying to prevent. One note on making your own: you have to be very conscientious about making sure trace elements are included in the right proportion for long term health. For a few weeks or even months, it's not an issue. That said, my grandmother raised all her dogs on home cooked food (grandpa wouldn't let her spend money on dog food). She was meticulous about making it from leftovers and way ahead of her time in her knowledge about nutrition. They all lived to 18 and 19 years, which is an amazing record. So it is possible if you want to do the basic research and include the trace minerals and other nutrients.

One reader stated that things are getting better, and I agree. There are plenty of conscientious pet food makers. Back in the day, it was a free for all. For example, in the 50s Alpo tried that "all dogs need meat!" marketing, resulting in high meat diets. Because the calcium/magnesium ratio was skewed, dogs would actually dissolve their own bones by eating a pure Alpo (mostly meat) diet. They'd come into the clinic with "rubber jaw." You could bend their mandibles in your hands during an exam. So balanced nutrition is key and staying informed about contamination is essential.
What do you feed your cats?

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello,

I'm just curious. As a Vet, do you feed your cat commercial types of grocery store types of cat foods? What brands of dry and wet cat foods do you use to feed you cat(s)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's the trace minerals and other vitamins that I'm concerned about missing in home cooked food. I tried it with a pre-mix to go with cooked meat for cats. The mix was not a big winner with the cats. Although they are huge fans of cooked meats for humans.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
While I understand the curiosity, I don't think it really matters what a veterinarian chooses to feed his/her pets. There are many considerations that could be entirely personal and what works for one pet and owner doesn't mean much for another. Just off the top of my head -
  • Medical conditions of the pet
  • Medical conditions of the owner (affecting things like the ability to carry things, or be exposed to certain ingredients)
  • Time constraints (not just preparing food - also owner's availability to serve the food on time and remove it)
  • And of course, budget
The point about the risks in feeding raw is valid. We have several articles on the topic -
Salmonella In Cats - 9 Things Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For?
Raw Food For Cats - Interview With Pet Nutritionist Dr. Martha Cline
Feeding Raw To Cats - Safety Concerns
A Scientific Take On Cat Nutrition By Dr. Rachel Boltz

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And yet dry food has been recalled for years for salmonella, aflatoxins/mycotoxins, antibiotic residues, improper vitamin/mineral levels and much more.

Why you SHOULD feed your health compromised cat Raw Food

I understand why raw feeding can seem scary with the FDAs current witch hunt against commercial raw foods at the moment. It's amazing that the FDA wasn't even the regulators to catch the pentobarbital, but an independent company. I wonder why... cough cough. :crash:

When you decide to take the plunge into raw-feeding, it is important to do your homework. How to feed it, how to balance it, what your options are (whole prey, prey model, meat completer, commercial), etc. There are so many resources out there that can provide step-by step instructions, groups, vet pages who support it, websites. For example:

Study Supports Raw Meat Diet for Cats | Little Big Cat
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition
Why do you need to make food? Why do you need to feed living foods?
Let Me Tell You About Raw Food. Hey Don't Run Away... - Feline Nutrition Foundation
Raw food can transform your dog - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing
The Natural Diet of the Cat

I'm sorry, but I don't take nutritional guidance from a vet. I used to, and all my cats ended up with chronic illnesses. Getting them on a balanced raw was the best thing I could do for them. Which I did on my own after researching it for 2 years prior. My cats are healthy. And my sick cat who ate dry and wet prescription food, is now a senior and she is as healthy as a horse on raw. :redheartpump: Even my current vet is very pleased.

Bring on the bacterial recalls... it's not gonna stop me from feeding it. Obligate carnivores are designed to handle pathogens and expel them quickly. It's basic biology that was taught to me in first year at university... :wavey: