Mom in trouble. 104*

Mamafain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a stray that I was taking for TNR and realized she was pregnant. Took her to the vet for check up and confirmation. Got RV and X-ray to see how far along. She gave birth 6 weeks ago. 4 beautiful healthy kiddies! I had a friend who was desperate with her 6 day old babes needing milk because mom had a URI, and by the time she was better, kittens were coming down with it and mom was dried up.
I made the conscious and cautious decision to help out.My mom was awesome. Cleaned them, was patient to let them try to nurse, but they had no energy to latch and they were deteriorating. Now my mom is home. No symptoms of URI, and her milk is drying up.
I took her to my vet, 800 dollars later, bloodwork and meds (antibiotics, antiviral, fluids and anti nausea? Creencia). She has 104 for third day. And she is in heat!!!! Poor girl. Eating, drinking, and only signs of distress are verge of mastitis, occasional gag and fever. She was a TNR that I decided to not abort. She is a nice cat. Only a year old and went from slightly handleable to very nice. I am not keeping her. Just want to spay when ready and find a home.
Why is she still febrile after 48 hours of meds, and should I risk a million dollar vet bill to take her as an emergency? (Weekend plus covid). Hellllp.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Has she been vaccinated? What happened to the other kittens, did they make it? If she hasn't been vaccinated she could have picked something up from the kittens she fostered.

If she has an infection such as mastitis that will cause a fever. Does the mastitis seem as if it's responding to the antibiotic treatment?

If she is eating and drinking and her fever is stable at 104 I'd call your regular vet as soon as possible and ask their advice. I guess it's Sunday morning where you are? Is it possible to call your vet before opening hours tomorrow?