Mole Resistant Spikes

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if anyone would see in my regular thread but do mole resistant spikes affect cats in any way? I've seen the cats (Treasure and Sopdet) kill the moles but there seems to be an army. I don't want to harm the cats or make them leave. This is kind of urgent as my Mom is wanting to go to store tomorrow. Thanks.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're talking about those electronic gizmos on a spike that you stick into the ground, they don't work very well.

The idea is supposed to be that the device makes sounds that are annoying to the mole so they go some place else to get away from the sound.

The truth is that they don't work very well, at all, and if they do work, the moles quickly get used to the noise and ignore it. It would be like living next to a busy street and, after a while, you don't even hear the traffic going by.

If your cats like to kill the moles, let them. More power to them. If your cats aren't killing them or aren't killing enough of them, traps are probably the next best alternative.

Or you could do like my grandfather used to do. He'd wait on the back porch, watching over the back yard with a pitchfork in hand. When he saw a mole digging a tunnel in the yard, he's run over and skewer the little bugger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're talking about those electronic gizmos on a spike that you stick into the ground, they don't work very well.

The idea is supposed to be that the device makes sounds that are annoying to the mole so they go some place else to get away from the sound.

The truth is that they don't work very well, at all, and if they do work, the moles quickly get used to the noise and ignore it. It would be like living next to a busy street and, after a while, you don't even hear the traffic going by.

If your cats like to kill the moles, let them. More power to them. If your cats aren't killing them or aren't killing enough of them, traps are probably the next best alternative.

Or you could do like my grandfather used to do. He'd wait on the back porch, watching over the back yard with a pitchfork in hand. When he saw a mole digging a tunnel in the yard, he's run over and skewer the little bugger!

Haha to your grandpa. Yea Mom is wanting to go tomorrow to get something. The cats are good at killing them but we could have several? I did read that litter with cat urine works but Mom isn't going to let me sprinkle used cat litter on the area (she despises cats). Wouldn't the cats get stuck in the traps though. These cats are outdoors until my situation changes and I can bring them inside. They were formerly feral.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the used cat litter might work. Predator scent. Right?
What the heck? It's free. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything.

If your mother doesn't like cats tell her that cats kill moles. She probably hates the moles worse than she hates the cats. It probably wouldn't be hard to convince her that this is one way to put them to good use.

Same thing with the cat litter. It's a good way to get rid of that smelly cat litter and put it to good use at the same time.

As for the traps, there are several different kinds. The kind that I have seen looks like a miniature, spring-loaded version of my grandfather's pitchfork. When a mole tries to crawl under it, they get skewered just the way grandfather used to do it. There are other kinds that you bury in the mole's tunnel. Some are live-catch. Some are not.

I really can't advise you much more than that. There are just too many different kinds and brands to describe them all. Each has their pros and cons. Best to go to the store and look them over or ask the person in the store for advice.

If your cats live outdoors and are formerly feral, it sounds to me like they have a perfect place to play (in the sporting sense) and you've got free rodent control. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Home depot also told me that human urine can repel them. And while I won't be doing my deed outside I can always do it in a jar and dump outside (when Mom isn't looking). Mom is a very strange and difficult person. lol

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand about mothers. I've got one, too.
I would tell her, "If you don't like cats, fine. But, at least, they earn their keep."

If she doesn't like that answer, hand her a pitchfork and tell her to go sit on the porch and wait. ;) ;) ;)

I don't see why any urine; cat, dog, human or otherwise, wouldn't work.