Mixing KMR and Goat's Milk

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone mixed KMR using goat's milk instead of water to increase caloric intake? Any additional suggestions welcomed!

Background:
We have a kitten that was born on Aug. 2 (10 days old today). She currently weighs 125 grams (super small for her age, we know.) She is one of 6 born in this particular litter (all other kittens are doing wonderful!). We highly suspect she has a congenital/genetic problem (likely heart related). She is not gaining weight appropriately at all, despite nursing and supplementing. The decision was made to remove her and hand-feed only several days ago. Her suckling reflex is weak, though she is VERY feisty and has a good set of lungs on her. She fights syringe feeding; and, due to the suspected heart issue, getting her upset leads to breathing issues and takes awhile for her to calm down. She latches onto a bottle ok; but, it can take 1.5-2 hrs for her to take in 5 cc.

We are well aware of any probable prognosis and are simply taking things one day at a time with her. She crawls/climbs, recently opened her eyes and, as mentioned before, is very feisty.

catwoman707 catwoman707
stephenq stephenq

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can surely do it, it cant hurt, may help.  Can you get RAW goat milk?  It should be even better, but may be difficult to get and or may be pricey.

If you have someone around who is experienced with tube feeding, it may be an idea her, as she fights the syringe and gets excited.

But this ONLY if you have someone who can show you properly help you with suitable gears.

OT, but as you CatPack are doing quite some rescue work, this trick would be useful to learn for you, sometimes its handy and helps in these cases.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will agree, mixing the goat's milk with the kmr may be good, but I feel concerned in a way too considering her heart. 

It does by the way sound like a heart defect, you must have experience in rescue!

How about going for 1/2 water and 1/2 goat's milk? Mixing it with straight goat milk may be just fine, I just tend to feel worried about that volume of fat and protein, etc.

The last thing we want is to put added stress on her organs.

These little ones are heartbreakers, It sounds like you know this of course. Then again, it's not our nature to not try, or hope. Crazy things do happen, sometimes things can correct themselves even. 

I agree about the tube feeding. It takes confidence you will only get from a great, experienced teacher, but once you learn and perfect, there's no stopping you!!

SO much easier!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the Goat's Milk we have is Raw (from frozen). This is what she has been on; but, she is not gaining weight, despite taking in close to 30 cc/mL daily.

As for tube feeding, I have thought about this; but, didnt know if this would be too stressful for her? We have to keep handling to a minimal at the moment as too much stimuli leads to episodes for her. I will definitely reconsider this, though.

Thank you

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it will stress her out actually. the point where it's placed in her mouth and starts to go down her throat, they don't like it and will squirm and cry/make faces.

And she's feisty too!

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. I assumed, that would be the case with the tube. I'm a little hesitant for this at the moment as we do have to give her breaks just taking the bottle (place her back in her carrier with her rice buddy.)

Will give the KMR/Goat Milk mixture a try for a few days and see how we go. I have similar concerns as you do, Catwoman707, about the fat content, so the full-strength mixture would only be for a few days to see if we can't get some weight gain. But, will certainly play around with the mixture.

Thank you both for your input.

And, yes, I've worked in rescue for a little over 4 yrs, so still learning. But, our rescue seems to end up with more special needs babies and those with less common illnesses (Cryptosporidium, Campylobacter, double luxating patella, atypical neurologic disorders, etc...). I'm lucky I have an EXCELLENT vet that works with me!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @StefanZ  that tube feeding is a great way to go but it requires some training by your vet.  I've done it, and it isn't difficult but it is very specific and requires a little hands on training and understanding of the issues.  The best part is that you can get a whole meal inside the kitten in a couple of minutes.  Below is a link that includes a discussion on it, if you want to try this talk to your vet about training you and providing the small amount of equipment needed.

http://icatcare.org/advice/hand-rearing-kittens

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update and thank all 3 of you for your input.

I made 2 changes to her feedings.
1.) I mixed the powdered KMR with 1 part water and 1 part goat's milk
2.) I switched the nipple on her bottle to The Miracle Nipple (has tried using this attached to syringes; but, her suckling wasn't strong enough to pull the milk down.)

With the 2 changes, she has gone from 120g to 153g in about 48 hrs. She is averaging 6-9cc at each feeding and feedings are taking about 10-15 mins now, as opposed to 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

She has also had 2 bowel movements. Yesterday she was constipated; but, today was completely normal.

She will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. We are cautiously optimistic; but, I am elated with her progress!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh this is a beautiful update, wow!!

I wouldn't change a thing. 

I saw the miracle nipple and thought how cool it looks and bet it would work well, apparently so!!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Here are 2 links. The first has a video by the inventor. The second is where I ordered from.

http://www.miraclenipple.com/

http://www.henryspets.com/miracle-nipple/

I was extremely pleased with the quick shipping by Henry's Pets. I did expedite shipping; but, they processed and shipped my order on a Saturday and I had it on Monday.

I will also mention that the initial flow rate is much faster than anticipated; but, little girl has had no issues with choking/aspirating and the rate is exactly what she needed.