Mixed or along side?

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been having more success. All six of my cats at the Radcat chicken. Even Jack.

Right now I'm trying Hare Today ground rabbit mixed with their supplement. Jack wasn't interested, but everyone else was. I had a thought. I've been putting the raw along side the wet food. Should I be mixing it in?

Which is better? Raw along side wet food or mixed in for transitioning?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like you, I just started transitioning Ritz to (commercial) raw. The first time I mixed a bit of raw with the food she'd been eating for months (she ate only one food, one brand, one flavor). She loved the mixture. I increased the ratio, and within two or three days, I didn't have to mix it; she ate it plain.
Interestingly, she loves all kinds of commercial raw, anything from beef to poultry. In canned foods, she would never eat these flavors, strongly preferring fish.
The problem I'm running into is quantity: Ritz is use to a lot more volume of food than she is getting these days and seems to be always hungry, even before transitioning her to the raw. (A visit to the vet may be in order.) I've been adding some water to the raw as a partial solution to the quantiy problem, and she eats it with no problem. How much water to add is based on your own cat; Ritz doesn't mind a little bit of water, but doesn't like 'soup'.
Bottom line: try it both ways.
Good luck!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mix it in, just a little tiny bit at first and slowly up it.

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't feed raw but I would treat it as any other food transition! Good luck!!

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know, with my dogs we switched them over completely to prey model raw about four years ago. No transition. With the cats, they started stalking the raw meat during the dogs meal times so they have been transitioning over. Partly because my husband feeds the dogs and their breakfast time is while I'm still sleeping and the cats are mine so I was the only one feeding them until now. At this point they are getting 2 raw snacks a day when the dogs eat and canned food and a little dry for meals since I still have some in the house.