Missing Indoors-only, Very Phobic Cat For 15 Days.

VikBlot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my indoors-only cat has been missing for two weeks. I have done everything suggested to me and everything I could think of to find her but with no luck.
She's spayed and has a microchip and wears a collar with a tag and a bell.

I have put up flyers all over my neighborhood, in vet's offices and pet shops. There's no shelter in my area for strays.
I've gone out looking for her after midnight or before sunset when it's quiet outside (every day since she went missing) with food and a rattling toy she used to play with.
I have scattered some of her sand outside, put her litter box on my balcony (I live on the ground floor) along with food and water and a shelter for her, in case she comes back. I also leave my shoes outside and socks and a scarf which I regularly renew to preserve my smell.
At this point, I want to mention I also have a kitten at home, so the sandbox does not only have my missing cat's smell but the kitten's as well.

She's a very phobic cat and does not adjust well to new circumstances. Below you can read an excerpt from an article about the different personalities of cats. The Cautious Cat is mostly like mine.

The Cautious Cat

Generally, a cautious cat likes people but is shy and will dart away to hide if a stranger comes to the door. Sometimes she'll peek around the corner and slowly come out to investigate. When displaced, however, she will immediately hide in fear. If not scared out of hiding by people or other animals, she's likely to return home on her own or meow to attract attention when her owner comes looking. This could happen within two days. But it could take as long as ten days before hunger or thirst prompts her to break cover.

I moved in the house I currently live in exactly six months ago. My previous house had an enclosed yard where I regularly let her out to play.
I have even sprayed my pee around the neighborhood forming trails that lead back to my house.
I have a lot of neighbors who feed stray cats and I've talked to all of them to keep an eye. I've also talked to people with dogs.

Putting a trap isn't an option because we have tons of stray cats in the neighborhood.

What are your experiences? Please, if you have any other suggestions, let me know. I'm worried sick, I've lost my sleep. Could my kitten be a reason why my missing cat has not come back? They were getting along well, grooming each other etc. but lately my older (missing) cat seemed annoyed by the kitten's constant pestering.

Help me please!

What else could I do? We don't have pet detectives in my country otherwise I would have already hired one.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think the kitten is the reason, but every cat is different and reacts differently. Is your older kitty fixed?

Can you keep walking your neighborhood and talking to people and show her picture, hopefully someone has seen her.

I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers to you!

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have a cautious cat and had a situation several years ago where he was enjoying sitting in the window while it was open, and his fat ass pushed the screen out and he fell into the yard (first floor no big deal). I knew that if I tried to go to him, he'd run, and if I didn't, he'd run, so of course I had to try to go to him and of course he ran. I lived in a very rural area with lots of unleashed animals, both domestic and wild, and I thought for sure I would never see him again, just because he gets so freaked out by stuff. After a little more than a week, I was sitting outside on my porch talking on the phone and I realized after awhile that I was hearing a cat meow. I stayed outside and just kept sitting there casually and talking, and eventually (30 minutes?) he comes out of nowhere up onto the porch and starts rubbing my legs like no big deal!!! I was so shocked, I was certain I would never see him again. So that would be my suggestion, when you need to make calls or have friends over, go outside and talk (or you could just go outside and talk to yourself if you don't mind funny looks lol). I have read in various places that a lot of times, even if we can't see or hear them, cats aren't far away at all when they escape. Since they are both hunter and prey, they are often watching but don't make sounds because it is risky and dangerous for them as prey. Since you have a cautious cat, this instinct is surely heightened. From one scaredy cat owner to another, good luck, I hope your baby comes back to you. Keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VikBlot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think the kitten is the reason, but every cat is different and reacts differently. Is your older kitty fixed?

Can you keep walking your neighborhood and talking to people and show her picture, hopefully someone has seen her.

I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers to you!
Yes, my older cat is spayed. Thank you so much! No luck yet from the neighbors, no one has seen her but I'll keep trying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VikBlot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a cautious cat and had a situation several years ago where he was enjoying sitting in the window while it was open, and his fat ass pushed the screen out and he fell into the yard (first floor no big deal). I knew that if I tried to go to him, he'd run, and if I didn't, he'd run, so of course I had to try to go to him and of course he ran. I lived in a very rural area with lots of unleashed animals, both domestic and wild, and I thought for sure I would never see him again, just because he gets so freaked out by stuff. After a little more than a week, I was sitting outside on my porch talking on the phone and I realized after awhile that I was hearing a cat meow. I stayed outside and just kept sitting there casually and talking, and eventually (30 minutes?) he comes out of nowhere up onto the porch and starts rubbing my legs like no big deal!!! I was so shocked, I was certain I would never see him again. So that would be my suggestion, when you need to make calls or have friends over, go outside and talk (or you could just go outside and talk to yourself if you don't mind funny looks lol). I have read in various places that a lot of times, even if we can't see or hear them, cats aren't far away at all when they escape. Since they are both hunter and prey, they are often watching but don't make sounds because it is risky and dangerous for them as prey. Since you have a cautious cat, this instinct is surely heightened. From one scaredy cat owner to another, good luck, I hope your baby comes back to you. Keep us posted!!
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I really hope she can hear me calling for her when I stroll the streets. I will start sitting in the balcony more often in case she's really close and decides to come out of her hiding place. I'm glad your kitty came back!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best times to look for them is at dusk and dawn. Take a flashlight so that you can spot eyes shining. Look UP...he may be in a tree, afraid to come down, and look DOWN, and in small, tight places that would feel safe to him!