Missing cat, devastated.

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wasn't able to find one of our cats this morning and checked his AirTag to see that it was pinging at a house a street over. Searched the entire yard but the AirTag wouldn't connect even though it said it was nearby... we left a note on their door, I guess I'm just hoping they took him inside but for some reason didn't call the number on his collar. My worst fear is that his breakaway collar came off and the AirTag isn't even accurate. While going to put a litter box outside I realize that our basement door was completely ajar -- I'm so grateful our other cats didn't also slip out, but I have no idea how it could have opened. Just so heartbroken. He's the cat in my icon and he's overcome so much, survived far beyond what he was supposed to with cancer, and now this freak incident happens with the door and he's gone. I can't even focus on work or anything else. I hate not knowing where my baby is and if he's okay.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry your little guy is missing. Did you knock on all the neighbors' doors around the one you left a note with? I would do that, and continue to search your area, especially if the collar did break away. I'd also look under decks/etc. to see if he is hiding out - as well as in bushes, and even up in trees. Take a bag of treats or food and shake them while calling him. I would recommend doing this around the clock as much as possible.

If you can block the other cats from getting out the door you suspect he escaped through, I would also leave that door ajar/open, and perhaps place some materials with your scent on them by the door.

This TCS articles offers suggestions about what to do to help increase the chance of finding him - the latter half of the article. I am not sure it mentions posting on Lost and Found Pet sites, up to and including the Next Door Neighbor website.
Help! My Cat Is Lost! - TheCatSite

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, as mentioned, this is what I post on Nextdoor for people whose cats are lost;

You'll definitely want to post on Nextdoor .com, it's free to register, and have a photo of him to put in your post.

Check with local-to-you shelters and rescues repeatedly.

Make sure his microchip info is up to date. Post on Pawboost, Pet hub, 24petconnect, Petco love lost etc and if your city as well as your state have Facebook pages for lost pets, and even a general neighborhood Facebook page, post there too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my god he's home! I am so so grateful, and I'm SO glad we put an AirTag on his collar! Our cats look so silly with those massive devices on them (we always call them "Apple Ambassadors" now lol), but we were able to see when he left his hiding spot and started wandering back up the street. Once we got close enough, we pinged off his AirTag and found him hunkered down in a neighbor's stairwell! He had a little snack and some water and then went and checked the (firmly closed) door he escaped from... what a goofball. Here's him flopped on the rug after a very eventful 18 hours.

I just wanted to thank this community so much, I always turn here whenever I need support and I really appreciate how much compassion and wisdom this forum has. Thank you all again for posting.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
littlecatt littlecatt
I just had to scroll to the most recent post before staring,there's nothing worse than reading the heart-wrenching horrors of worry...
I'm elated your baby is home safe where he belongs

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Somehow I missed your original post but was thrilled to see your last comment and another sigh of relief that you have been reunited with your boy. :catlove: