Millipede Consumption Or Bite.

Martin Imris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm desperate. One and a half days ago my cat Owen either got bit by a millipede or was sickened by its partial consumption. He is experiencing lethargy, he is not eating or drinking and after a few our of the encounter he was vomiting. Eventually all that was coming up was white foam. Now all he wants to do is lay down. He is only three months old and weighs maybe four or five pounds. I can't afford a vet. I hope I'm following proper protocol for this forum and hope this thread is published.

Desperate and appreciative,

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know millipedes are not poisonous to cats (nor humans, actually). They can bite but shouldn't be able to cause any real damage - nor poisoning by doing so. The same is true if Owen ingested part or all of a millipede.

They do, however, release a gross liquid to protect themselves, and that would not only taste terrible it could very well cause some stomach upset in most cats, maybe more so in a kitten.

The problem is if this doesn't clear up very soon - and I mean he really should be starting to show interest in food again by now - then it could be possible that Owen just happens to be allergic to the millipede. That would require a vet visit.

It's a good sign that he is not throwing up any more, but it would be a better sign if he were to eat. Can you offer him one of his favorite foods/treats, or perhaps a human food that he loves, just to see if you can get him started back to eating? Maybe even some Gerber baby food meats (no garlic, onion, etc.), just to help entice him?

Do you have a vet you could at least call and ask about it?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF he is not eating by tomorrow, you will need to force-feed him. Get a can of pate-style (no shreds or chunks, just paste) kitten food and mix it with water to make a loose slurry. Draw it up into a syringe or medicine dropper. Place the tip of the dropper between his cheek and gum, and slowly, a bit at a time, inject the mixture into his mouth, allowing him time to swallow after each bite.

I am so sorry that this happened, but it did bring you here. If nothing else, you are NOT ALONE with this any more. And DO let us know how your baby is doing. We'll fret about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martin Imris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's feeling better. I enticed him with water drainage from a can of tuna and he drank a decent amount. There is noticeable improvement but he is still weak and seems to shiver every once in a while. He was doing a lot of self comfort purring but now that has lessened. I'm pretty sure it was the liquid that came from the millipede that FeebysOwner mentioned that made him sick. I've managed to gleam some information on the net and it fits with the symptoms. The millipede was six inches long and he ate half of it. Owen is such a good hunter that I could not get to it and remove it before he had captured and eaten half of it. Anything that moves he goes after it like a rocket. Going to hunt down a syringe to feed him if necessary, as Mamanyt1953 suggested. Thank you for the replies. Invested a lot of emotion into the little fur ball. It bothers you to seem them ill.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Martin Imris and welcome to the forum !

...going to hunt down a syringe to feed him if necessary, as Mamanyt1953 suggested.....
The devil is in the details that Mamany1953 suggested......just a few droplets at a time....always in the front of the mouth (either in that 'pocket' she mentioned, or on/under the front of his tongue)....then, allow him to swallow. Follow that any time you have to administer anything.

You'll probably have to puree the food before you start.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Martin Imris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's eating and drinking. He's still weak but is now jumping onto my lap. Man, you can really tell when a cat is sick. They let their appearance falter. Now, he's cleaning himself. This was a tough one. Took in Owen after losing a cat that I raised for thirteen years. Took a couple years to feel fine about adopting another animal only to have him get sick like he did. I'm happy he is better. Thank all of you again. My panic was lessened greatly by your responses.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be hopeful, some cats can learn from experience to not eat certain bugs. Owen may have learned to kill it and leave it. In case he didn't keep an eye out and get rid of them. There are plenty of other bugs to chase.

Since Owen hunts bugs ask your vet what to do in case he gets stung by a bee or wasp. You may need to keep some act friendly
antihistamine on hand. (this shouldn't require a vet visit.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thrilled to hear that he is eating, drinking, and grooming again! Sounds like he's on the mend!

SILLY BOY! DO NOT EAT THE MILLIPEDES!