Miliary Dermititis Timeframe?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. How long does it take for the rash and sores to clear up after the allergen was removed? Does it take more than two months?
2. Can new bumps or flare ups appear weeks after the allergen was removed? Or do new bumps mean another exposure to allergy?
3. How soon after exposed to allergy do bumps appear? Like for example if he is allergic to a brand of food, do the flair up appear within a few hours after eating it?

I am running out of money here.
1. My cat was always healthy (except for a mast tumor well over a year ago). But after 14 years of age, he was losing weight because of eating less from stress.
2. I tried different foods to see what he will eat to gain weight. He disliked expensive/raw foods, and liked canned Fancy Feast, canned tuna, and raw salmon. He doesn't seem to like dry food much anymore.
2. But then he had a bout of bad dirreah and then conjunctivitis. So he was on matradonizol, upgraded diet, and then terramycin for several weeks. He saw the vet several times.
3. When I stopped both of those medications, he broke out with miliary dermatitis, and scratched himself raw. The vet recommended another blood panel and x-rays, which came up fine except for gas. The vet prescribed an antibiotic shot for the scratches, steroids and Hills for the colititis, and Revolution. He kept itching so I did my own asking around and arrived at Benadryl and a cone collar (I don't know why the vet didn't do anything about his itching in hindsight). I tried a little neosporin but I don't want him licking it.
4. I can no longer pill him so basically stopped the steroids and Benadryl, but the dirreah stopped regardless. I have been mostly feeding him canned Rx Hills and Purina ProPlan chicken/rice, but he does not really like the Hills. I tried different types of chicken Hills but he does not like it and lost some weight.
5. It was a couple weeks since I applied the Revolution and was more consistent with his diet. He gets bumps popping up then disappearing, but has had some new bumps appearing even today. They are mostly on his ears and above his eyes. He also has a few bumps here/there on other body parts (chin, knee, belly, chest, back of leg, forehead).
6. He licks and scratches himself raw whenever I take off the collar he hates, so I took him back to the vet today. The experienced vet was fully convinced it was not a food allergy but thought it was mange or an autoimmune issue, albeit he did not really ask me about my cat's history (and wouldn't the blood panel show the autoimmune disease?). They convinced me to do a skin scrape after I initially didn't want, which came out fine. They rushed me out of there with a reference to a dermatologist (that charges $165 for one exam) because I had the same questions listed above.
7. They gave him an antibiotic shot. They recommended a punch biopsy ($1K operation) and Heska panel. I said no to the biopsy due to stress and money, and because I do think it's an allergy (maybe fleas and fish) and stress. I said OK to the Heska, but then the owner came in and said it was a waste of money. I said let's do the cortisteroid shot, but they said to see the dermatologist first. I am trying Hills z/d but he doesn't seem thrilled.
8. If it does not improve I will see a different vet for the cortosteroid shot. One website says it can take awhile for flea allergy symptoms to clear up like a couple months, which I want to try before putting him through tests by a very expensive dermatologist.

EDIT: Oh and this vet office is fully convinced that the GI issues (dirreah, gas, a few vomiting) is completely separate from his awful skin issue. They are two different issues, according to a couple vets from this same office. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around that though.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
any suggestions would be helpful.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to suggest something that might sound strange to you, but it is inexpensive, and if any of this is stress related, it might do some good. Go to the grocery store, to the tea and coffee isle, and pick up a box of chamomile tea bags, about 3-5 bucks. Brew a cup of the tea and chill it in the fridge. Use it as a wash on the bumps. It will significantly reduce the itching and inflammation. It is extremely soothing on skin ouchies in humans and cats (and dogs and rats, for that matter). VERY VERY few cats or humans are allergic to chamomile. If there is no increased redness after a couple of hours, you can also administer 1-3 tsp via syringe up to 3 times a day to relieve stress. It is mild, but it may do the trick, here.

And if you're at the end of your rope, drink a cup hot, sweetened with honey. It will do you a world of good!

This may or may not help, but it is VERY inexpensive and worth a shot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the vets don't seem to know the cause of your cat's symptoms, ask them to consult with other vets who are more knowledgable in veterinary dermatology. Vet schools usually have a vet consult service. I know of one very good well known vet hospital that also does vet consults. You can PM me for the info.

If it's a possible allergy to fish, don't feed anything fish or seafood for at least several weeks. Try a limited ingredient diet. There are commerical ones.

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Nature's Variety Instinct
Natural Balance LID

Here's a good article with info on food allergies and treatment options: Article on Feline Cutaneous Adverse Food Reactions (aka food allergies) and treatment

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

There's not a lot whole lot online, but right now I suspect he may have a severe flea allergy (with a secondary infection, or he got bit again, because one website said it should clear in a week), and/or food allergy because that takes months to clear up. It could be a number of other things, but severe allergy (and self-trauma) seems more obvious based on his symptoms, appearance, and responses to the medications and diet. I don't know why that vet so surely ruled out allergy.

I am currently feeding him a grain-free, dye-free chicken diet (unless I can get him to eat the hypoallergenic diet), but I will try to find a special limited-ingredient diet that he will eat (and switch over to that). I changed the litter. I am keeping his cone on. I am going to keep monitoring him, and either get him the cortosteroid shot or a dermatologist next week.

I got an anti-itch spray but he sulks, and I am worried about stressing him out further or him eating it so I can try the chamomile.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet was again unhelpful when I asked for help because my cat stopped eating because he feels so miserable. I am going to a different vet.

That vet's receptionist said it would take at least 6 weeks for the rash to clear after allergic food reaction. He needs something over the short term to reduce his self trauma. He has scratched himself up bad, and the cone collar causes him to mentally shut down. I am trying to give him benadryl but it's near impossible to pill him.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet was again unhelpful when I asked for help because my cat stopped eating because he feels so miserable. I am going to a different vet.

That vet's receptionist said it would take at least 6 weeks for the rash to clear after allergic food reaction. He needs something over the short term to reduce his self trauma. He has scratched himself up bad, and the cone collar causes him to mentally shut down. I am trying to give him benadryl but it's near impossible to pill him.
You might try asking your vet if Claritin might be an option for your kitty. It's not bitter tasting like other OTC antihistamines vets frequently recommend, and in our humble experience, it has been the easiest by far to sneak into our cat's food without him noticing.

Did your vet suggest anything to help alleviate your kitty's stress?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first time they gave me zylkene for his stress. Because he is not eating, I went to the store for chicken Fancy Feast. He ate some of that. Cheap food is better than starvation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can ask about the Claritin. He really hates benadryl and pilling him is traumatic, but it seems to make him feel better later on.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time they gave me zylkene for his stress. Because he is not eating, I went to the store for chicken Fancy Feast. He ate some of that. Cheap food is better than starvation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can ask about the Claritin. He really hates benadryl and pilling him is traumatic, but it seems to make him feel better later on.
Ah, okay. It's amazing how many cat ailments can be caused or exacerbated by stress. Do you have any Feliway diffusers?

We've been going through something similar with one of our cats who has recently developed a food and flea allergy, so my heart goes out to you and your kitty. :grouphug:

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh no! I was wondering why my poor cat had bad diarrhea again. I double checked the dry food that he nibbled on. It lists "fish meal" as an ingredient (buried in there). It is chicken flavor Crave food. Yes another bag of food I will be throwing out.

I also put some fortiflora on some food to try to entice him to eat it. Do you think that may have cause diarrhea?

I found some answers to my question in this article: Food Sensitivity in Cats with Chronic Idiopathic Gastrointestinal Problems - Guilford - 2008 - Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine - Wiley Online Library The more I am reading and looking at my cat's history/symptoms, the more I am convinced it's an allergy including some sort of food intolerance. I also do agree stress (and age) are factors.

Last edited:

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been hiding in the closet all day, barely eating, bad diarrhea, drinking a lot of water, licking himself bare, looking miserable and in pain. Shut down and not like himself.

He finally came out an hour ago acting normal after evacuating his system. There looked to be undigested food in there...

I think I need to step up my dietary efforts to a unique protein and reintroduce chicken. His skin swelling seems to be going down a little, his eye discharges seems to be tapering off, and he is no longer grooming & scratching himself so badly. He has lost more weight and has a ways to go, but I really hope he is on the mend after so many weeks of suffering.

hex11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through something similar with my cat when I adopted her, does your cat have pus-filled bumps on the back of her neck? In my case, it was a food allergy, I had to visit two different vet clinics (the second one was more competent and said it's most likely a food allergy.) She was put on an allergy diet and cortisone pills for 8-9 weeks until the old proteins completely disappeared from her system.

I strongly suggest you get a second opinion and bring up a possible food allergy, my cat gets Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR 25 and Hillz z/d because of the food allergies, and it's working very well.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will try the Royal Canin. He hates the Hills now (I tried three varieties and adding supplements). I am also going to go buy a few limited ingredient/novel protein food to hopefully address the diarrhea and food avoidance in case it is poultry.

It started out as classic miliary dermatitis with pus-filled bumps (most notably on head and ears), and progressed from there. I asked for a cortosteroid shot when he first broke out, and the vet said no because then we can't figure out the allergen/cause. He was itchy and scratched himself up really bad, and was put on antibiotics. I asked again for a shot but the vet insisted it wasn't an allergy and did a mange test of all things :-\ I am trying a new vet on Monday since there were no openings this week.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with you that it is time to find another vet. Dear Goddess, I have a vet who calls me back within 30 minutes unless he is actually in surgery, and is VERY responsive to any strange ideas I might bring up. He handles them with respect, sometimes agrees, or disagrees with valid reasons, and is THOROUGH with Hek. There's a trick to finding the right vet.

These articles pretty much explain how I found Dr. Paul, and how I knew that he was "the One."

How To Choose The Best Veterinarian For My Cat?
How To Talk To Your Vet
Cat Vet Checkup - What To Expect

hex11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will try the Royal Canin. He hates the Hills now (I tried three varieties and adding supplements). I am also going to go buy a few limited ingredient/novel protein food to hopefully address the diarrhea and food avoidance in case it is poultry.

It started out as classic miliary dermatitis with pus-filled bumps (most notably on head and ears), and progressed from there. I asked for a cortosteroid shot when he first broke out, and the vet said no because then we can't figure out the allergen/cause. He was itchy and scratched himself up really bad, and was put on antibiotics. I asked again for a shot but the vet insisted it wasn't an allergy and did a mange test of all things :-\ I am trying a new vet on Monday since there were no openings this week.
My cat got a cortisone and vitamin b-complex shot, along with cortisone pills to take for 8-9 weeks while her body was getting accustomed to the new food, you really need to find another vet who's willing to help you with trying out a limited diet. Make sure the food has only hydrolyzed proteins and as few carbs as possible. My vet said that food allergies is one of the first things you try to determine in cases like this when I mentioned my previous visit at the other vet clinic, and I'm very surprised that your vet hasn't initiated a trial. It definitely sounds like it's food allergies. Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...I know my mind is more than a little quirky, but every time I read the title of this thread, my brain says "MILITARY Dermatitis, and I think, "HUH? What's a cat doing in the military?" At least until the OTHER four brain cells fire.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sure I will make that typo sooner or later. I stopped looking up to spell check medical terms.

Most cat foods have fish oil in them, even limited ingredients types. I hope that the two canned foods I found don't have allergen byproducts. I can't find any appropriate dry cat food in the pet store. So I am going to have to try shop online, but he is so very picky lately. I have been throwing out a lot of cat food as it is. This is going to be tough.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never thought I would be so happy to see cat poop. But his poop was almost normal after two days of special food with no chicken, turkey, eggs, grains, or fish. He is acting more normal, itching less, and less eye discharge. I found a couple types of canned food that seemed safe until I find foods he will eat, but he acts meh about their flavor.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, we have entire threads where members regularly celebrate poop from a cat with digestive issues! As for the food, now that you know what to avoid, some trial-and-error will find one that he actually likes and that doesn't have any of his allergy triggers! At least you now have the list!