Midnight went to Rainbow Bridge

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

This is the story of my little Midnight who went to Rainbow Bridge last Wednesday, 8/29/01.

Midnight was an eight-month-old Siamese-cross that I adopted from my local Paws and Claws a little over 13 years ago.

Since Midnight had been at Paws and Claws for 6 months when I found her, she initially had problems adjusting to her new life as a housecat. With time and patience she improved.

Three and a half years later, we adopted Snowball from a litter of four kittens. Both cats were in perfect health and were good company for me and my son. Everything went smoothly for a number of years.

In late January of this year, Midnight was diagnosed with glaucoma and treatment with oral steriods was started. I am aware of the fact that treatment with steriods is not desirable but Midnight's Vet and I tried a couple of other options with no success. Midnight went blind and had several acute flare-ups of inflammation in her eyes over the next few months. In June, things seemed to be improving and going smoothly for Midnight. Last week Midnight had another acute flare-up and was in a lot pain. I notified my Vet and followed the instructions I was given for treatment

The evening before she died, last Tuesday, Midnight was restless and kept moving from one place to another. My son and I thought she was trying to escape the pain. On Wednesday morning, I found Midnight in a livingroom chair, falling down between the back of the chair and the cushion. When I got home that afternoon, Midnight was still in the chair and she looked so miserable and her eyes looked so sore that I decided that the kindest thing to do would be to permanently relieve her suffering.

My Vet said I was making the right choice and Snowball and I were with Midnight when she died. It was a privilage to have been Midnight's owner and it is had to believe she is really gone.

Lorie

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for taking the time to share the story. Getting it out and talking about sometimes helps with the hurt. I am happy she had such a wondeful life with someone who really loved her!!!

gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a very touching story about Midnight. She had a wonderful life with you and was a very lucky kitty to have someone like you to care for her all these years. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You, Lorie D. As Sandie said, it hurts a lot right now, but it does help to talk about yur loss. What a "lucky" cat she was to share your home and the love of you and your son.

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lorie,

My prayers are with you. You gave happiness to a cat that was in need. You enriched each other's lives.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Val :angel2:

boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story about Midnight. We'll remember her too, now. That she brought happiness to you and your son, and that she was very much loved.

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lorie,
I can only echo what has already been said, you gave little Midnight a wonderful life, loved and cared for her, and when it was time and she was suffering, you unselfishly ended her pain.
That must have been a very difficult thing to do, and I admire you greatly for it
You obviously loved her very much, and you did the right thing, no matter how hard it must've been for you.

Midnight is waiting for you at the bridge now...healthy and pain free.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lorie,

thank you for sharing her story... Midnight has had a lot of luck in finding you to take car of her. I can see she has been loved... I admire you for having the courage to take the decision of letting her go and end her suffering. I know it must have been almost unbearable...

Think of all the good moments, she gave you, think of all the loving, think that she is happy now at Rainbow Bridge, playing with all our angels
waiting for the day to see you and your family again...

Take care,

Anne-Claire

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for your loss of Midnight. It must have been such a hard thing to do but it was the kindest and most unselfish thing you could have done. I know that this doesnt help now but in time your pain will heal and all that will be left is the happy memories you had with her. My thoughts are with you. Take care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much
!

You have made it a little easier to get through this difficult time.

Lorie

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing the story of Midnight....my thoughts and prayers are with you!

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dear Lori :angel2:

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your kitty Midnight. He was blessed having a wonderful family, just as you were equally blessed by the joy he gave you.

Rest knowing that he's playing and loved by all the wonderful babies that he has joined. When it is our time to pass, my belief is that we will reunite with all we have loved and then some!

Love, Peace &

dvanguilder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing Midnight with us. I know it is a hard time for you right now. I have had two of my babies cross over - one from kidney problems several years back and one from liver problems just a few months ago.

It helped me to realize that the time had come for me not to be selfish. I had to let them cross. They had given me so much love and devotion that the best thing I could do for them was to let go. Let them not be in pain when nothing else could be done.

I am designing a small garden area just for my girls. My own private memorial to them. With some pretty flowers :daisy: to attract some of the things they liked to watch as well as a bird feeder.

I know it will be hard, but the best tribute you can give your baby it to adopt another as soon as you are ready. Share your love it will help ease the pain. I had to adopt a week later because my other cat was going bonkers on me searching for her sister. I was not into it but have to say, it was the best thing I did!

My deepest sympathies, Dorina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dorina

Thank you for your post. Midnight has been gone a month now. She was a wonderful little cat, I still miss her a lot, but it has gotten easier. I do plan to get another cat eventually but I'm not rushing into anything.