Microchips

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet wants $65 just for the chip! He also charges $107 just for neuter surgery (no peripherals included --- such as pain medication.) Although a good vet, I only recently became aware (mostly through the forums here) that his charges were a bit on the high side

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by millyanddaisy

Even my pony has a microchip, although I have been told that in large animals it's not unknown for the chip to migrate around the body a bit, so it's important for anyone scanning to check all over.

Sue
My vet told me that too when I had my dog implanted with a chip - if she were to crawl under a fence and put a lot of pressure on that area, the chip might 'migrate' a bit, so he said it's a good idea to get your pet 'scanned' with her annual exam if she's extremely active, to make sure the chip is still where it should be.

I was only charged $25 for my dog's Avid chip a couple of years ago, but when I had my cats done several years ago (at a different vet) & it was a relatively new thing, they charged me $50 or $60. With both vets I had to mail in registration info and a separate registration payment to the company. (Thanks for the reminder to update!)

Our local humane society holds "microchip outreach" events where they'll microchip your pet for $25. They also microchip all their pets prior to adoption and include the cost in the adoption fee. I think that's great - I hope the other local shelters will soon follow their example.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Vet charged $34 ea. with registration. Well worth it.
Our local Humane Society also chips for $30 ea.
If money is a concern...contact your local Humane Society & find out if they offer options for you.
My kitties are indoor only.
It was only after I joined TCS that I realized how important ID is for indoor kitties too.
Dexter & Sadie were almost 5 years old before I had them chipped.
Thanks TCS.