Microchips

mihoshi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone get their cats microchipped? I've done it on quite a few of my animals, but some questions have occured to me:

There are a lot of places that don't scan animals when they come in or just don't have the equipment, so are they really worth having at the present time?

If the chip in my cat is a different brand than the scanner that another vet/shelter/rescue uses, will anything show up as to who the owner is?

If someone steals my cat tries to microchip it, and the vet finds that a chip is already there, will they contact me to say someone has my cat?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets and shelters will test for a chip if a lost cat comes in. And it you travel with a cat then you have to microchip it - airline and customs rules. But many people will not bother to hand a cat in and certainly if a cat gets killed the chances are slim that it will end up in the hands of someone who will scan it. My girls are microchipped (EU rules) and their collar tags have their microchip numbers on as well as a phone number.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also call the shelters closest to you and see what kind of chips they scan for to better your chances.

The way I see it, it's not that $$ and it certainly can't hurt. My girls are indoors and don't wear collars, so if anything like a big earthquake happened or a break in and they got out I want *some* kind of identification on them.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mihoshi

Does anyone get their cats microchipped?
Mine are microchipped and wear safety collars with tags.

I've done it on quite a few of my animals, but some questions have occured to me:

There are a lot of places that don't scan animals when they come in or just don't have the equipment, so are they really worth having at the present time?
This is a really frustrating problem.

What I've done is call my local shelters and ask them if they scan incoming animals. If they don't, I mention that all my pets are microchipped (and I also mention that they're mixed breed - a lot of local shelter staff here seem to be under the impression that only purebreds get microchipped), and that scanning incoming animals may save them time & money by getting animals back to their owners quickly. I direct them to the Avid and HomeAgain web sites & phone numbers, so they can get a scanner free of charge to use in their shelter. If I feel like I've been brushed off, I'll call again another day, or even stop by in person to share my concerns. If lots of people pressure their shelters to get scanners (stressing that they're free to the shelter and may save precious shelter resources for truly homeless pets), hopefully more shelters will begin checking for microchips.

If the chip in my cat is a different brand than the scanner that another vet/shelter/rescue uses, will anything show up as to who the owner is?
It depends on the scanner used - some have the capability to read all chips, others are limited to reading only their own brand of chips. But even if a reader can't read the other brand, it can still detect the presence of a chip, so that the person scanning will know to try a different scanner.

However, I did find this sad story that highlights an incompatibility issue with a newer brand of microchip (not Avid or Homeagain). I don't know if the problem has been resolved. It's probably better to stick with the better-known brands for now.

If someone steals my cat tries to microchip it, and the vet finds that a chip is already there, will they contact me to say someone has my cat?
I don't know. I'd certainly hope so, though!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before I microchipped my kitties, I called my local shelter to find out what kind of scanners they use.
I then call my vet & found out he uses AVID...one of the chips they scan.
Also...my kitties wear a tag that has their chip info on it.
They also wear a seperate tag that says "if I am outside...I am lost" ...with my home ph# on the back.

Lei

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They should make an effort to contact you. One of my law professors found a dog and was caring for it. When he took it into the vet, the vet found the chip but couldn't read it. The dog was transferred to the local shelter that could read the chip. Unfortunately, the owner didn't update his info for the chip. The shelter held the animal for five days to try and locate the owner before returning the dog to my prof.

My Clinton is microchipped with a HomeAgain ID. He is an indoor only kitty (with the exception of an occasional harness walk), but the piece of mind is worth every penny for the chip.

Moral of the story: please remember to keep your info up to date!

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
avid makes a new chip called Avid Eurochip that is readable by ALL scanners-- its the same price as the regular Avid chips also--

Just wanted to let yall know about it!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three girls are microchipped, ares will be soon, and so will both dogs with home again..reminds me i have to get Lylas info put in my name!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exellent Point...keep microchip info. current.

Originally Posted by danalee2682

Moral of the story: please remember to keep your info up to date!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thinking about the younger one ... vet does it for 18$

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my animals have the Avid!!!
Yes they will contact you if the animal is registered through their company and not just the vet who put it in!!

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woah! sharky's reply totally shocked me.

Are the microchips really that cheap, or is it a local thing? I was thinking that they were in the $100 range.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats, dog and birds are all chipped.
The dog and birds are registered through the Home Again service and the cats through AKC Companion Animal Recovery.
The cats wear tags with their chip number, registration organization, and contact number on them.

Even mixed breeds get stolen and microchips/registered tattoos/closed legbands(in the case of birds) are the only ways to prove legal ownership.

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GirlieQ - I think I paid about $65 for the microchip. $38 for the chip (implanted at my vet's office) and $17 for the lifetime registration. Although, I have heard that shelters and some other places are less expensive.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jinx and Oskar are microchipped with Home Again and when Miss Sage gets bigger, she will be microchipped as well as Charcoal when he goes in for his yearly checkup.

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine came from the cats shelter with microchips, which I thought was quite good, but some animal charities here have special offers to get your pet chipped for about £10 (a bargain!).

Even my pony has a microchip, although I have been told that in large animals it's not unknown for the chip to migrate around the body a bit, so it's important for anyone scanning to check all over.

Sue

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my boys are chipped even though they stay indoors. The HomeAgain chips were $36 and an additional $12.50 for the lifetime registration. I can't say enough about keeping the records updated should you move, change phone #s, emergency contacts, etc.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet wants $65 just for the chip! He also charges $107 just for neuter surgery (no peripherals included --- such as pain medication.) Although a good vet, I only recently became aware (mostly through the forums here) that his charges were a bit on the high side