Microchipping

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just adopted our two indoor kitties last Friday, and I was soooooooo relieved to find out they had already been microchipped. What a pleasant surprise!

Slightly off topic, does anyone know where the chip goes in the kitty? I assumed it went somewhere between the shoulder blades, but that is purely a guess.

Dave

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny, I keep meaning to make a post about this since I had a question lol. I have always Micro chipped every animal I have owned until I moved to New Brunswick. The four I have now I would like to get Micro chipped and will shortly, its hard to remember with life being so busy.

My question is can you update the information? What information goes on file? I know my old Rottie got Microchip but if he was lost I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think wed find him. We had moved, our vet closed down, she was under my sisterâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name who got married and our phone number was different. Is there a database you can update these things? Or you just call the vet? Plus, how does it work? Is it like a linked database someone runs? So if I lose my baby in Toronto but got chipped in NB can I still use it?

Thanks all!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The microchip companies generally keep the database. When the chip is scanned it shows the microchip's ID number (and possibly the company that makes the chip, depending on the scanner used-- not sure about that part.) Then the person looks up the microchip number to get the owner's contact information.

As far as the database it depends where you live. In the US mostly it is the microchip manufacturers (or an affiliated company) who keep databases of the pets which have their microchips. Usually you need to contact the company to update your information either online or by phone. Some of them let you update your information on their website yourself.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both my cats are indooors but both are microchipped, i was scared incase they got out of the flat

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chip is generally inserted between the shoulder blades. If you feel the spot, you may find a scab there if the microchipping was recent.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genever got microchipped when we adopted her from the shelter. They required it and it was included in the adoption fee. She is indoors-only, but I have no problem with it. I think it's a good idea.

I do have a question though- I know there are different microchip companies out there, but do they all have access to each others' databases? For example, what if Genever escaped and was found and brought into my vet's office and they scanned her? I know they use a different microchip company than the SPCA who did her chip. Would they still find her info?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They generally do not have access to each others database, at our shelter we use 24petwatch chips, when we find an animal with a microchip, we call them and they can tell by the sequence of numbers / letters which company the chip belongs to and will give us a number to call that company.

However, many companies allow free registration, my cats have chips from various companies and all are registered with the microchip provider as well as 24petwatch as it is the most used locally and the first one the vets call.

I have called so often now that I can usually tell myself by the sequence who they belong to, you can always update your information and if you dont have the chip # most shelters or vets will scan your pet and give you the number for free so you can update or register it.

I am sure laws are different elsewhere but we have a legal obligation to try and find the owner of an identified (collar with tags. chip, tattoo etc) cat and hold them longer than the 72 hour regular advertising hold.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Batman was a foster of mine before I adopted him - he was micro-chipped per rescue group policy. I didn't have an option so I am not going to do research on whether it is cancer causing - because there's nothing I can do. But I'm glad he is chipped in case he DOES get lost.

Patches was a stray I TNRed before bringing inside. I do not plan on micro-chipping her because she is ear-tipped and I figure no one will think to scan a semi-feral ear-tipped kitty.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

Patches was a stray I TNRed before bringing inside. I do not plan on micro-chipping her because she is ear-tipped and I figure no one will think to scan a semi-feral ear-tipped kitty.
Depends on the area I guess, we do scan ferals because many are TNRed here and since their caretakers have put money into them, we return them to them

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

They generally do not have access to each others database, at our shelter we use 24petwatch chips, when we find an animal with a microchip, we call them and they can tell by the sequence of numbers / letters which company the chip belongs to and will give us a number to call that company.

However, many companies allow free registration, my cats have chips from various companies and all are registered with the microchip provider as well as 24petwatch as it is the most used locally and the first one the vets call.

I have called so often now that I can usually tell myself by the sequence who they belong to, you can always update your information and if you dont have the chip # most shelters or vets will scan your pet and give you the number for free so you can update or register it.

I am sure laws are different elsewhere but we have a legal obligation to try and find the owner of an identified (collar with tags. chip, tattoo etc) cat and hold them longer than the 72 hour regular advertising hold.
So, just so I understand correctly, you scan the cat and if it has a microchip, no matter what company it came from, the scanner can still read the number? If you happened to find my cat, you could scan her and find out that she belongs to me?

So really, you wouldn't need to be registered with different companies then if you can find out the company who has the info from the number. Right? (no? I'm clueless, and curious. thanks!)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the scanner can read any number and each chip company uses a different sequence of numbers / letters - however if you move from the EU to North America, the chips are different. That is as long as they have a universal scanner (I havent come across places that do not have universals, but have heard of stories of animals with microchips being adopted out when they couldnt read it) - they work on different frequencies but the chip companies give you universal readers for free so there is no reason you should not be using them.

So we scan the reader over the back of your animal, it beeps, comes up with a number - we call that into our microchip company as its the biggest one around here and many people will register other chips with it too. If they do not have it, they will say this chip belongs to AVID, HomeAgain etc, here is their number and we call them and they look it up in their system.

Most microchip companies will give you a few options on how you want your information released:

1. When we call the microchip company, they call you for us and do not release any information, they call us back with a reference # saying they spoke to you and you give us that reference # when you pick up the animal so we know it is yours

2. They give us your contact information as well as a listed emergency contact's phone

3. You can choose to allow #2 only for shelters or vets and not for private individuals who may have come in to have an animal scanned and call themselves, in which case #1 applies to individuals and #2 to shelters or vets

As a backup, many companies will keep the shelter/vet who bought the chip as a 3rd contact person and ask us to search our files for a number if they can not contact the owner or emergency contact.

I have my cats registered with 24PetWatch as well as the individual companies their chips came from (I have three with 24PetWatch chips, one with a PetNet and one with Avid) - I know pretty much everyone here calls PetWatch first and its a free registration so is just easier for the person who found them. But they would still be found when the person called the second company

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The chip is generally inserted between the shoulder blades. If you feel the spot, you may find a scab there if the microchipping was recent.
Depends where they are microchipped, some places do it on the left side of the neck towards the shoulder and if it isnt a cat / dog the microchips can be in various other places

aly317

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to check if it's required by law in your state to have your pet microchipped? My boyfriend doesn't like the idea for some reason, and would rather not have it done if he gets a kitten. Also, if it isn't required in my state, is there a way to clear the microchip? Like say, if they do it anyway, or if he adopts one that is already microchipped, is there a way to go online and clear your information associated with the chip?

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a HUGE fan of the microchip. My cats are indoor only cats but they are all chipped, along with both my dogs. I wish states would require it, just like rabies vaccine. I work at an emergency vet hospital and on a weekly basis we get animal control bringing in animals that were hit by cars or other injuries and I always run for the scanner. Sadly enough in the 4 yrs that I've been working at the emergency hospital not a SINGLE animal that AC brought in and I have worked on has ever been chipped.

I know Home Again microchip is a $15 a yr for "service". Avid was like $45 for implant and life time service.

Need even more convincing....here is an awesome story
http://www.dnainfo.com/20100811/harl...ver-year-later

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All three of my kitties came from the shelter already microchipped. My dogs (that live with my in-laws) I had chipped. The dogs were microchipped through a rescue organization and the cost was pretty low, $20.

My kitties are indoor only cats unless I take them out on a harness, in addition to the microchips they also wear break-away collars with identification. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. You never know when someone might slip out.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aly317

Is there any way to check if it's required by law in your state to have your pet microchipped? My boyfriend doesn't like the idea for some reason, and would rather not have it done if he gets a kitten. Also, if it isn't required in my state, is there a way to clear the microchip? Like say, if they do it anyway, or if he adopts one that is already microchipped, is there a way to go online and clear your information associated with the chip?
I would contact your local animal control offices and ask them about your state laws. If the pet is already microchipped why would you not want to just put your info in case your kitty ever gets out? We have had a few indoor only kitties get outside some way or another and it has been horrible trying to find them! Why is your boyfriend against it?
My boys will be getting new tags and collars this week and we will be going to get chipped as soon as I find a vet I like here!

aly317

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I would contact your local animal control offices and ask them about your state laws. If the pet is already microchipped why would you not want to just put your info in case your kitty ever gets out? We have had a few indoor only kitties get outside some way or another and it has been horrible trying to find them! Why is your boyfriend against it?
My boys will be getting new tags and collars this week and we will be going to get chipped as soon as I find a vet I like here!
He's always seemingly leery about having his information "data-based" - such as, he doesn't give out his email or phone number on any type of form if he doesn't have to. It's not something I'd even say I understand... but I showed him some cute kittens, and he liked them, but said "But they're chipped" - I don't think, when it comes down to it, that if he really liked the cat he would refuse to get it because of the chip, but he's made clear that he doesn't like that the cats are 1. being inserted with something equal to that of a bar code, and 2. that his information is stored within a cat. He probably just finds it odd, which it kind of is - but I definitely see the benefits of it. If anyone were to ask me, I'd even say microchips - health-wise - are less harmful than vaccines [for indoor cats]. I'd be more afraid of future health issues in a cat who's been vaccinated frequently than a cat who's chipped, mainly based on the fact that I've had a cat get cancer from shots before.

Anyway, he's just picky about random things that I don't completely understand, so I can't change his mind.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All that is stored on a chip is a number. The equivalent of a license number, or VIN on your car. He has one of those, right? Your contact information is maintained by the chip company. The value? Every so often, we have a cat or dog come in the shelter that's chipped. When we get the contact information, it's not unusual that the owner didn't even know the animal was missing yet.

The flip side is that we regularly get beautiful animals that were clearly someone's pet--clean, brushed, healthy, etc.--and no way to contact the owners who may just assume the animal was run over, or stolen, and never think to check with the shelter.

And just FYI...your boyfriend probably knows this, but it's not that hard for someone to get all the information about him, if they want it.