Microchipping

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, there's no reason in the world not to have your pet micro-chipped - in my area, the shelters, vets and police stations are able to scan for a chip - and, as mentioned, the chip company has the owner information.

If you wonder about possible health issues, ask your vet - I believe 99.9% of vets will say the benefits outweight the miniscule health risk. Some people have quasi-theological/political reasons against chipping - again, for your own pet, you have to ask yourself if your responsibilities as a pet parent outweigh any non-health-related conceptual issues you may encounter.

My two were chipped by the shelter - both of them were found as adult strays (declawed, no less, so you know they had families). But neither were chipped so their original owners had neither the pet returned nor closure. Their loss, I'd say.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aly317

He's always seemingly leery about having his information "data-based" - such as, he doesn't give out his email or phone number on any type of form if he doesn't have to.
If it bugs him that much, he can put the number of a "burn phone" on the microchip account, no other info. Just so they can call you if the cat is found. There doesn't have to be any actual personal info on the account at all.

My cats aren't chipped. The dogs are. I'm told the local shelter doesn't scan for chips in cats (I was actually told many shelters don't scan cats), so it seems there's no point. I'll probably have it done someday, maybe take a few cats in the next time the shelter has a microchip event, but if they don't scan cats I don't know why they even offer microchipping for them at all.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of just a phone number - as long as it's one that is always checked. I live in a metro area - so the chips are always scanned at shelters, vets and the police stations - but maybe more rural areas don't do that as much.

Just don't let boyfriend watch any old X-Files or Dark Angel episodes about bar codes and implants before discussing chips.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 are 2 are not ... after talking with my vet and pouring over lots of data , the two without will not get them...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I travel and leave the babies with a sitter, also considering I am sitting at the Tornado Alley, I have been seriously considering doing it. In fact I think it is just a matter of time - meaning: next trip to the vet

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check around at your local shelter, etc., to see if there is a low-cost microchip program. We do it at our shelter on a regular basis for...I think $15. I believe my vet charged $60 for Punkin and Sterling, before the shelter started doing it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I'm told the local shelter doesn't scan for chips in cats (I was actually told many shelters don't scan cats), so it seems there's no point. I'll probably have it done someday, maybe take a few cats in the next time the shelter has a microchip event, but if they don't scan cats I don't know why they even offer microchipping for them at all.
We check ALL animals, even guinea pigs, rabits, etc. Maybe not turtles...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Maybe not turtles...
Hehe, I think the reason they microchip turtles/tortoises is to prove ownership in case of theft, not necessarily in case of loss, although I'm sure it might help in some cases. But some species of tortoise are extremely valuable, so they need some way to prove ownership. I'm glad your shelter does scan everyone.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

If it bugs him that much, he can put the number of a "burn phone" on the microchip account, no other info. Just so they can call you if the cat is found. There doesn't have to be any actual personal info on the account at all.

My cats aren't chipped. The dogs are. I'm told the local shelter doesn't scan for chips in cats (I was actually told many shelters don't scan cats), so it seems there's no point. I'll probably have it done someday, maybe take a few cats in the next time the shelter has a microchip event, but if they don't scan cats I don't know why they even offer microchipping for them at all.
That's a good idea, if he's afraid of including personal information. You can buy "pay as you go" (aka 'disposable') cell phones very inexpensively, and you don't have to carry or use it unless your cat is missing. The cell phone is not on a plan so they don't have any information about you.
Or if there is a relative like a parent whose info you can put (if they don't mind their info being in the database) that could work also.

Personally all my cats are microchipped, and my dog is microchipped and tattooed (the breeder tattooed her litter when they were babies.) I want as much a chance as possible for my pets to be reunited with me if we were somehow separated, so they also wear collars with my phone number embroidered on them.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've owned cats for a LONG time. None of them are microchipped. They are 100% inside cats and don't wear collars either (most all of my cats were shown in cat shows).

I won't get them microchipped for other reasons that I won't go into on the board.
Is there anyway you could e-mail me personally and tell me your thoughts on this micro chipping? There is something that bothers me about this micro chipping and since you said that now I don't want to say what I am thinking. But I am curious what your thoughts are. I want to research every aspect of this before I do something. I have  my thoughts on shots so that's one reason I'm leary about this.