Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No I don't but I would imagine he just kept slowly getting bigger and bigger over his entire life. That's just a guess though.

I think he does feel a lot better. He moves a lot more easily now than when I first got him. He's always been playful but he used to just stay in one spot, frequently rolled over on his back. It was hard to get him to stand up and go after a toy. Now he'll walk all over the house going after a toy I'm dragging. He'll even run in short spurts. I need to make a video of the way the plays now.

My cats have pretty much ignored Mickey so far. He has shown a little interest in playing with them but since they don't reciprocate nothing has come of it. We'll see if that changes as he gets more active and harder for them to ignore.
My Ulysses got to 18lbs VERY quickly.  I imagine if he had a lazy owner they may not have cared that he was gaining so much weight. Poor Mickey.  He's got to feel better. I have never been overweight but people I know always say how much better they feel when they drop 10-15 lbs - I can only imagine it's the same for the kitties. If only they could talk....  A video of this would be fantastic :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update week 10
How's Mickey doing?  There wasn't a mid-week update. I hope all is well.
Hi!  

I've gone to just the weekly updates since I'm not adjusting his calorie intake any more trying to find the "just right" number. I'm staying with 145 calories a day.

He weighted in today at 24:5 (lbs:eek:z). That's 4 oz down since last week. I would have liked to see 5 oz like the previous 3 weeks but I won't complain about 4 oz.

I've stopped giving him the 1 meal a day of raw again. He started throwing it up after about 1 1/2 week of eating it with no problem. This happened before with lamb and beef. He ate them fine for a little over a week then started throwing them up. This time it was turkey. I don't get it. 

So he is still getting the by Nature and Weruva plus the occasionally Soulistic flavor for variety. He doesn't like the all fish Soulistic but he likes the chicken with fish.

Today I took a crack at making my own homemade, cooked, chicken dinner. It has chicken breast, chicken liver and chicken hearts. I cooked everything in the microwave. I read that is the best way to preserve nutrients when cooking. Who knew hearts would explode in the microwave? 
 Next time I'm going modify the cooking technique slightly to make it less messy. 

Mickey and all of mine except Toby like it. Toby is always slow to accept a new food. He usually does eventually though. It comes out to about 33 kcals/oz at 74% moisture. If I increase it to 80% moisture like the Weruva is, it is about 25 kcals/oz. Their food is 1.7% fat where mine is 3.24% fat. That probably accounts for most, maybe all, of the calorie difference. It beats me how they wring all that fat out. It must have something to do with the way the chicken is processed. 

I need to do a little more work on my recipe to make sure it is nutritionally complete, as defined by the AAFCO anyway. I'll probably start using it to replace the Weruva. It really irks me that they charge so much for something that is little more than chicken and water. Mine cost about $0.64 for 5.5 oz where the Weruva is more like $1.75 and mine has more nutrients from natural sources (liver and heart) than the Weruva has. 

Over all Mickey is still doing great. I've noticed that he is able to groom his shoulders now. When I got him he could only groom his front legs. I can't wait to see him under 20 lbs! He is going to be a different cat!

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 oz per week weight loss is pretty good. He'll be under 20lbs in no time :-)

That's great that he can groom another area of his body now. Awesome!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry the hearts exploded! :eek: Uh - hopefully there was some kind of cover on the dish? :cross:

I'm SO glad he (you) is (are) still making progress on the weight loss! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And :woohoo: he can groom his shoulders now! :bigthumb: That's just great - he must be feeling wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Week 11 update

Rats! Mickey weight in at 24:3 (lbs:eek:z) on Saturday. That's only 2 oz down from last week. That's after losing only 4 oz the week before. His rate of loss has really slowed!

I have changed his food a little bit. I thought I was feeding the same number of calories. The new foods are the Soulistic and my homemade. Soulistic us supposed to be about the same calories as the Weruva I've been using. I've just been mixing the more fishy Soulistic with the Weruva tio give him a bit of variety. The more likely culprit is my homemade. It may have more calories than I think.

I'm going to stop giving him my homemade and see if that gets him back on track.

I have a cute video of him playing. I was really busy this weekend so didn't get a chance to get it posted. I'll try to do that tonight. He's such a cutie! 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm happy he still has a weight loss even though it isn't as much as you had hoped.  I can't wait for the video!!!

Have you noticed any other changes in him? more playful? more grooming area? etc?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy he still has a weight loss even though it isn't as much as you had hoped.  I can't wait for the video!!!

Have you noticed any other changes in him? more playful? more grooming area? etc?
No. not much change. I would guess every 2 lbs lost might bring real change as far as behavior goes. Well, he is moving better. It used to be that it was easy for me to keep in front of him when I am taking food to his room. Now he stays right on my heels! 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still think he's doing fabulous. :-)

That video is adorable.  It looks like your cats are cool with him, too. They don't look like buds but they don't look like rivals either :-)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still think he's doing fabulous. :-)

That video is adorable.  It looks like your cats are cool with him, too. They don't look like buds but they don't look like rivals either :-)
He's still losing but if he keeps losing only 2 oz a week it's going to take *forever* for him to get to a healthy weight.

My cats seem to have learned that if they just ignore newcomers (fosters) long enough eventually they go away. 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea, I know you want him to lose quicker but I'm still just so happy for him.  That's cool your cats don't get all crazy with the newbies.  That's my biggest fear with adding a newbie to the family - I'm afraid my boys wont adjust well, although they've never given me reason to think that way.

I hope he loses more next week.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's cool your cats don't get all crazy with the newbies.  That's my biggest fear with adding a newbie to the family - I'm afraid my boys wont adjust well, although they've never given me reason to think that way.
It helps a lot that Mickey is so laid back. In fact the reason I didn't take him at first (he was with another foster for 2 months) was because I knew he was going to be a long term project and so wanted him integrated with my clan and not stuck in a room by himself for months and at first we didn't know what his disposition was. I've been fostering long enough now that I how each of mine will react to just about every personality type a strange cat might have. So I knew the laid back personality his first foster said Mickey has would work well with mine with minimal effort on my part. I just had to make sure that my scaredy cat, Coco, could get away from him until she learned he was no threat.

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, for the time being I  bet Coco is MUCH faster than Mickey. lol

Do you know why he was with this foster for only 2 months?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, for the time being I  bet Coco is MUCH faster than Mickey. lol
 Yup, his size has actually worked to my advantage in a couple of ways. As anxious as I am for him to lose weight I don't know how I'm going to keep him away from my cats food when he gets small enough to fit through the hole they go through to get to it. I'll be very happy when I have to solve that problem!
Do you know why he was with this foster for only 2 months?
I was told it was because her cats wouldn't stop hissing at him. I don't know if that means he was causing too much disruption in the household or what. 

It's just as well. He was confined to a laundry room there and didn't lose any weight at all during the 2 months he was there. I'm sure he's a lot happier here. 

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told it was because her cats wouldn't stop hissing at him. I don't know if that means he was causing too much disruption in the household or what. 

It's just as well. He was confined to a laundry room there and didn't lose any weight at all during the 2 months he was there. I'm sure he's a lot happier here. 
He's definitely better off where he is now :-)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update week 12

He weighted in at 24:0 (lbs:eek:z) tonight. 3 oz down from last week. Sigh. I *really* want him to lose at least 4 oz a week. I know it's good that he is still losing but still...

I'm pretty sure the difference between now and when he was losing more is exercise. I'm finding it hard to make time to play with him as often and as consistently as I should.

Well, a bit of better news, he can groom his hind legs now, sort of. You know the "sitting" position some cats take? If he does that he can reach at least part of his hind legs and the tip of his tail. A small victory but I'll take it! 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At least he doesn't roll over when he cleans the tip of his tail
.  Baby steps.  He's getting there!  I swear, my little piggy is going in the wrong direction.  I've started doing the thing that LDG is trying to jump start his metabolism and am in week 1, so may have to start up my own thread soon.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least he doesn't roll over when he cleans the tip of his tail :lol3: .  Baby steps.  He's getting there!  I swear, my little piggy is going in the wrong direction.  I've started doing the thing that LDG is trying to jump start his metabolism and am in week 1, so may have to start up my own thread soon.
Has Laurie said how Billy's weight in went this week? I haven't seen anything.