Metronidazole Diarrhea?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Choo Choo has been having the runs since yesterday afternoon so I took her to the vet tonight. The vet put her on metronidazole. She only took .1 ml before she broke away and started foaming at the mouth.

I know some medications cause foaming- I'm not alarmed by the foaming from meds but when I searched on the medication online and on this site I'm seeing a lot of angry posts about harmful side effects.

Has anyone used this medication successfully? I feel like every med I research only shows horror stories. I've brought this up to a different vet who wanted to use Covenia and she assuaged my fears.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No she had diathal at the vet's office though. Yeah, I'm not worrying about the foaming but she is a bit hard to handle normally so I know this isn't going to work. I was expecting clavamox or something which I know she'll take.

What got me concerned is reading all the posts about the drug killing their cat or making them sick. So I'm nervous like I was a few years ago when my vet wanted to do a covenia shot. And since then my cats have had covenia shots without any problems so I feel I don't have to worry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Metro is probably being prescribed because it has a more far reaching effect than many antibiotics - as you probably read in the article abyeb abyeb provided you. If anything, I've read a lot of comments on this site that suggest it is not very effective, and one of the possible side effects is diarrhea - the very thing it is supposed to be trying to clear up. Typical of drugs!!! I think the harm is mostly using it long term or in higher doses than necessary.

As far as taste - ask the vet if s/he can call the prescription into a compounding pharmacy. They can turn it into an oily liquid that can be flavored as tuna, chicken, or beef.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole is also available in tablet form.....that's potentially the answer for you.

Remember to always follow up with a liquid 'chaser' to ensure the tablet doesn't lodge in the 'throat'!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We followed the advice about switching to a tablet. She's a tough cookie and she spit it out. We tried again and when we approached her she leapt and knocked the pill out of my hands, finally we tried again later and she was going to bite my husband.
All this and I threw my back out earlier today when I was scrubbing mess out of the floor and scooping litters. So I really don't know how to get them in her. She's super picky about food (doesn't like treats, pill pockets etc) but would wrapping it in some non-smoked, non-spiced turkey lunch meat work? Is it worth a shot?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cooked up a pound of bacon every few weeks for an ongoing heart pill. A tiny piece of pill pocket was used to 'cement ' it to the piece bacon. Sometimes he spit the pill out, but after two or three pieces of bacon he would eventually gulp it down. He probably did it on purpose to get more. He never grew tired of bacon!
PS it was bitter too! They have non-nitrate bacon and lunch meats now too, Oscar Meyer is one .