Metacam For My Cat?

melizy12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all Kitty experts, on Saturday I took my cat Jinx to the vet as she had some inflammation in her midsection. The vet said the best thing we could do to find out what is wrong with her is to do some blood workwork, radiography, and some antibiotics, nutritional meds, and metacam. I couldn't afford the blood work or radiography ,so we just went with the meds. Mind you ,the vet has no idea what is wrong with my baby girl .So, the vet told me to give her these meds for 10 days ,the antibiotics every 12 hours and the nutritional and metacam every 24 hours . I checked the little bag with the metacam in it and she only gave me 6 small syringes containing the oral metacam .

I did some research and it says that metacam should not be given to cats for long periods of time. Long periods of exposure can cause acute renal activity and death???? Metacam is only safe for dogs? And can cause kidney failure??! If it's so dangerous, why did she give it to me ? I don't want my little baby to die ,I love her so freggin much .Is it safe to give her the pain reliever anymore? I have already given her 2 syringes of 3cc worth of metacam and I'm really scared. Please help me!

also, side note. My vet gave me 6 syringes of 3cc metacamand told me to give her one syringe every 24 hours, but on the bag she gave me containing the metacam oral injectables, it says to give .25 every 24 hours . I am really freaking out because I have already given her 2 syringes worth of 3cc! !!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet about the dosing on the Metacam.

Metacam is controversial for cats. The issue with it is that a cat's liver can't metabolize NSAIDS so the kidneys do all the work. It is used off label in the U.S. for cats. It's use in cats is much more common in Europe and Canada. The main thing with Metacam is that the dosing be correct. I would definitely call the vet and find out if your kitty's dose has been too large.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Double check this before giving! Far, far better safe than sorry!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had to take Metacam for a long period of time. By "long" I mean at least three weeks.
The dose was 1 ml per kg of weight. My cat was 3 kg and the dose was 3 ml each day.

However, call your vet and tell her you haven't fully understood the therapy and ask her to repeat clearly what you have to do.