Messy Flea Treament

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I put Advantage Multi from my vet on Iris a few days ago, and it is just so messy! I've tried in the past to apply it slightly different ways, but no matter how careful I am about getting it on her skin, it seeps onto a large patch of fur and she can scratch at it with her back feet then lick it off her feet. I've tried putting it up higher, putting it in one certain spot and putting it on in a small line. I've only ever used Advantage and Vectra and they both do it. Is it just because she is a longer haired cat? Or is there a certain way any of you apply it so it's not so messy? I am going to get Advantage II next month because it is cheaper and see if that one works any different. Any help is appreciated!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, that's about normal. The medicine has to spread out over their bodies and you just see it where it is the most concentrated. If you have other people who can help with holding and spreading the fur you might be able to get it closer to the skin but even then you will still see that spot for a day or two. As to her scratching it, cats are just too flexible to have a spot they absolutely cannot reach. I try to put it a little higher on mine though and they seem to notice it slightly less (think about the shoulder blades).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yeah, that's about normal. The medicine has to spread out over their bodies and you just see it where it is the most concentrated. If you have other people who can help with holding and spreading the fur you might be able to get it closer to the skin but even then you will still see that spot for a day or two. As to her scratching it, cats are just too flexible to have a spot they absolutely cannot reach. I try to put it a little higher on mine though and they seem to notice it slightly less (think about the shoulder blades).
Thanks! Next month I will try to have my boyfriend help to hold her and see if I can try to apply it better. I get it on her skin, but I think it's just the amount that comes out of the tubes it almost seems like too much sometimes. I put it on her shoulder blades and it seems to be the best spot, she can only reach it with her back feet but if I put it any different she always seems to be able to lick it off. I almost wish a company could come out with a gel that would "stick" to the skin better!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two long haired and 3 short haired and I still get the spot on the fur. Mine don't seem to mess with it so I'm not too concerned. I usually keep an eye on them for a few hours after I treat them. I've used several of the spot on treatments and they all seem to do the same thing.

I usually put mine between the shoulder blades and up the neck in a line. It's just par for the course on the spot on treatments. There is also the chewable ones from the vet. I've never tried it but I hear Revolution is pretty good. I have five of my own cats and always have anywhere between 2 and 5 fosters so fleas are constant. I'm considering trying the Revolution to see if it would help and be a little neater than the spot on treatments.

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have two long haired and 3 short haired and I still get the spot on the fur. Mine don't seem to mess with it so I'm not too concerned. I usually keep an eye on them for a few hours after I treat them. I've used several of the spot on treatments and they all seem to do the same thing.

I usually put mine between the shoulder blades and up the neck in a line. It's just par for the course on the spot on treatments. There is also the chewable ones from the vet. I've never tried it but I hear Revolution is pretty good. I have five of my own cats and always have anywhere between 2 and 5 fosters so fleas are constant. I'm considering trying the Revolution to see if it would help and be a little neater than the spot on treatments.
Thank you! I am going to check out Revolution then too 

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to have messy treatments too, and someone somewhere on TCS, (I don't remember, sorry!) was talking about putting it MUCH higher than the shoulder blades. I treated Boo yesterday with Advantage, and I put it on the back of his neck, ABOVE the shoulder blades. No mess, and he didn't try to get to it with his paws.

Using your pic as a model, I would put it right were the orange stops and the black begin on the back of her neck, above the spot you put it in the pic.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yep it's normal

I use Revolution as its alcohol based and disapates faster. It does have a strong odor so hang onto kitty after applying. I usually distract her with playing or hold her for half an hour to keep her from licking. I put it at the base of her head. Otherwise she licks. Honeybee is very flexible and is always licking at her fur no matter what.

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I used to have messy treatments too, and someone somewhere on TCS, (I don't remember, sorry!) was talking about putting it MUCH higher than the shoulder blades. I treated Boo yesterday with Advantage, and I put it on the back of his neck, ABOVE the shoulder blades. No mess, and he didn't try to get to it with his paws.

Using your pic as a model, I would put it right were the orange stops and the black begin on the back of her neck, above the spot you put it in the pic.
Thank you! I'm going to try to go higher next time I apply and see if that makes it better. 

yep it's normal

I use Revolution as its alcohol based and disapates faster. It does have a strong odor so hang onto kitty after applying. I usually distract her with playing or hold her for half an hour to keep her from licking. I put it at the base of her head. Otherwise she licks. Honeybee is very flexible and is always licking at her fur no matter what.
Thanks! Iris is really flexible too, that's why it's hard for me to find that perfect spot to put it on her but I'm going to put it up higher and hopefully that helps.