Merrick Canned LID -- Most Now With Pea Protein

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just emailed them about the D2. 
Paiger8, one last note re: HE. I just spoke with Erica at HE; (the person who answers emails is out on vacation, per Erica, so you will also not likely receive a response to your email).

She said re: D2 / D3, she had "no idea - no one has ever asked us this question before" and had to pass on the info to the product developer.  I gave my email and he will get back to me.  Also, re: what you read as far as meat containing vit D and pet food companies just adding in extra vit D "just in case", it would be the liver of the animal that provides the D. In HE's turkey formula, no liver is used, hence they really ought to be using D3, not D2, which is not as easily absorbed by cats, if at all.

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Btw, just noticed on HE's site, Dog Food Advisor gives HE's canned food a 5 star rating. Looking on DFA's site, this company has had no recalls, recalls listed since 2009. 

And the company states they are using organic chicken?  I wonder if indeed they are using certified, organic chicken and for the cat food as well, I will research it a bit ....

What’s more, organic chicken is now our #1 ingredient, and we never use by-products, gluten, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. In fact, every Health Extension diet is formulated to meet the stringent nutritional levels of the AAFCO Dog Food Nutritional program for all stages of a dog’s life. No wonder our foods (made entirely in America) have been endorsed by the American Canine Association.
That's awesome. Let me know what you hear about the D2 from the developer. It'd be awesome if it were just an oversight and they started using D3 immediately. I am really liking this company so far from all I'm learning about them. It's a shame it's not more heard of. I'd love my local indy store to carry it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's awesome. Let me know what you hear about the D2 from the developer. It'd be awesome if it were just an oversight and they started using D3 immediately. I am really liking this company so far from all I'm learning about them. It's a shame it's not more heard of. I'd love my local indy store to carry it.
Sure, no problem.

Actually, if it becomes more popular, the prices may go up so shh .... :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tempted to try this now too! My cats really like soft pate, which is one of the reasons Merrick LID chicken was a fav. Weird the HE chicken has tomato paste in it tho, seems like the turkey is the best one for sure. 

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the beef and chicken both have tomato paste which I thought was odd. But as far I know, not really harmful. Tomatoes are fairly low carb, and it's only the green tomatoes/stems that are poisonous to cats from what I've read. Unless I missed something? It's so hard finding a decent cat food.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, the beef and chicken both have tomato paste which I thought was odd. But as far I know, not really harmful. Tomatoes are fairly low carb, and it's only the green tomatoes/stems that are poisonous to cats from what I've read. Unless I missed something? It's so hard finding a decent cat food.
I think it's probably fine, just seemed odd that those two had it but the turkey didn't. It is carrageenan free though? Some of the reviews on Chewy said the ingredients online didn't match the cans. I'm going to order a case to try. if my brood don't like it my outside cat will 

peacefulchaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have fed health extension. Some cans do have carrageenan, I think, but I did overall like the food. I also stopped Merrick but still feed whole earth farms beef. Now I'm trying hound and gatos on them.

Health Extension, from what I remember, is a pretty solid food to be included in a rotation. Shame about Merrick. The LID turkey and LID chicken were their favorites. :(

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fed health extension. Some cans do have carrageenan, I think, but I did overall like the food. I also stopped Merrick but still feed whole earth farms beef. Now I'm trying hound and gatos on them.

Health Extension, from what I remember, is a pretty solid food to be included in a rotation. Shame about Merrick. The LID turkey and LID chicken were their favorites. :(
Looks like HE removed the carrageenan from the time when you were using it.

Thank you Paiger8 for posting the ingredient label from the turkey you recently purchased from HE.

I absolutely will not feed any foods with carrageenan, not even in rotation, not even a single can. ;)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Health Extension, from what I remember, is a pretty solid food to be included in a rotation. Shame about Merrick. The LID turkey and LID chicken were their favorites.
Sooo hard to find good canned pate foods :( Mine really like the Merrick chicken and turkey too but I'm worried about quality at this point more than the pea protein because its so clear the quality is declining. I think H&G is good food but my kids didn't like it because they don't really like stiff pate. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats still eat Merrick or whole earth farms every day and love it rabbit in Merrick and beef or duck in whole earth farms, I don't feed lid however

Last edited: