Merrick Canned LID -- Most Now With Pea Protein

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm going to phase out Merrick once I'm done with the turkey and chicken that I already have. I'm so frustrated because my younger cats still need to eat a lot so I need to supplement with some canned. The only other canned they like other than Merrick is ZP and weruva, and ZP just had a huge price jump. $45 for 12 6oz cans is ridiculous! I'm trying to get mine to eat some cooked with EZ but they just don't really like cooked, and they pick at Tikicat more than actually eat it. Sigh. 
Wow, that's crazy on the ZP price. If you don't mind feeding agar-agar, you might want to try Bravo's canned foods. Our cats love their turkey fricassee and eat their duck pate fairly willingly. They were less enthusiastic about the chicken fricassee. The prices in my local store were reasonable, mostly $2.00/can or a little under.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, that's crazy on the ZP price. If you don't mind feeding agar-agar, you might want to try Bravo's canned foods. Our cats love their turkey fricassee and eat their duck pate fairly willingly. They were less enthusiastic about the chicken fricassee. The prices in my local store were reasonable, mostly $2.00/can or a little under.
I tried Bravo and they don't like it :( I tried all the flavors and no-go. 

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever tried Purina Beyond in a can?  Here's the ingredient listing for the Trout formula.  And it can be had for a few cents over one dollar at the big box pet stores;
Trout, chicken, liver, fish broth, catfish, carrots, egg product, guar gum.

Vitamins and Minerals

potassium chloride, taurine, salt, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Anyone ever tried Purina Beyond in a can?  Here's the ingredient listing for the Trout formula.  And it can be had for a few cents over one dollar at the big box pet stores;

Vitamins and Minerals

potassium chloride, taurine, salt, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.
Most of us don't feed any fish based foods. 

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to read labels a lot so I did notice the pea protein a few weeks back.  Disappointing.    Merrick was one of the few pates my picky Lokhi likes to eat.    I don't know if I'm going to cut it completely because I like to keep variety in what I feed but I probably won't be buying it by the case anymore.   Sigh. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Vitamins and Minerals

My parents' cat likes some of the Purina Beyond foods, though it's definitely not one with much fish because their cat doesn't like fish!

I tried Bravo and they don't like it :( I tried all the flavors and no-go. 
Oh well! And you don't feed Nutro anymore, right?

I tend to read labels a lot so I did notice the pea protein a few weeks back.  Disappointing.    Merrick was one of the few pates my picky Lokhi likes to eat.    I don't know if I'm going to cut it completely because I like to keep variety in what I feed but I probably won't be buying it by the case anymore.   Sigh. 
I know, it's disappointing. Do your cats still like the food?
I will continue feeding whole earth farms and Merrick because my cats loooooooove them, and are hard to please.
I hear you!

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been toying with ordering this next time around: Health Extension Turkey

Turkey, Turkey Broth, Butternut Squash, Guar Gum, Taurine, Vitamins {Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D2 Supplement}, Minerals {Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Iodide}.

There's only 1 gum, and no carrageenan. The only veggie is squash which doesn't concern me since I mix pumpkin with their raw food daily. There are 3 flavors of "Grain Free" though the Chicken and Beef Flavor contain Brewer's Yeast which I don't know much about. A quick Google search didn't turn up much... Any thoughts?

I just wish someone else had tried it before I order. I hate ordering full cases of new food, but it's not available near me. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well! And you don't feed Nutro anymore, right?
Nah I stopped because it seemed like it was giving at least some of my cats soft stool. I then started giving it to my outside cat and he started getting loose stool. I only really use canned as an overnight snack so for now I think I'm going with weruva variety pack and probably Ziwipeak. I noticed ZP prices go up and down by like $5 a case on Chewy, so I just watch for when the price drops and then buy it lol. I'm also rotating some FD S&C as well as the new Instinct Raw Market. Working out pretty good so far. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been toying with ordering this next time around: Health Extension Turkey

Turkey, Turkey Broth, Butternut Squash, Guar Gum, Taurine, Vitamins {Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D2 Supplement}, Minerals {Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Iodide}.

There's only 1 gum, and no carrageenan. The only veggie is squash which doesn't concern me since I mix pumpkin with their raw food daily. There are 3 flavors of "Grain Free" though the Chicken and Beef Flavor contain Brewer's Yeast which I don't know much about. A quick Google search didn't turn up much... Any thoughts?

I just wish someone else had tried it before I order. I hate ordering full cases of new food, but it's not available near me. 
I think that food looks pretty good, actually, and as you mentioned since your cats do well with some pumpkin in their diet the squash isn't a big deal. I've never heard of that brand before tho, I wonder if its new? I don't think brewers yeast is a huge deal. Veggies and carrageenan are the biggest deal breakers for me. My cats just seem to hate wet food with veggies in it. 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@missmimz  - Thanks, I just ordered a case of Turkey to try. I'll report back if my cats like it. I'm a little nervous because I looked on 4 sites and couldn't find ANY information on texture. But the minimal ingredients and great price should be worth it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that food looks pretty good, actually, and as you mentioned since your cats do well with some pumpkin in their diet the squash isn't a big deal. I've never heard of that brand before tho, I wonder if its new? I don't think brewers yeast is a huge deal. Veggies and carrageenan are the biggest deal breakers for me. My cats just seem to hate wet food with veggies in it. 
Health extension has been around for for awhile - their dog food, the cat products may be fairly new. Some of their canned dog foods though are for intermittent feeding only (no vitamins or minerals) so glad to see the cat canned food is complete and balanced.

Let me know if your cats like the turkey, I need a canned food as a back up, we're just doing Weruva and occasionally Tiki Cat chicken but wld prefer a turkey based food. I agree with Paiger8 that squash isn't so bad, I'll take squash over peas or potatoes any day. :)

Edit: Uh oh, looks like Health Extension is using vitamin D2 instead of D3 ...

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Edit: Uh oh, looks like Health Extension is using vitamin D2 instead of D3 ...
Is that bad? (Sorry, not as familiar with vitamins and minerals.)

Edit: It looks like Chicken & Beef contain D3, and Turkey contains D2.

Last edited:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it's a good time to buy Merrick's 'Whole Earth Farms' recipes before Purina orders changes to those brands, too.  I see that since Purina purchased Merrick the price on WEF has come down a bit on Chewy.com.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is that bad? (Sorry, not as familiar with vitamins and minerals.)

Edit: It looks like Chicken & Beef contain D3, and Turkey contains D2.
Ah, interesting that two of their formulas would have D3 and the other D2.

There is a discussion of D2 / D3 here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/302114/vitamin-d2-d3-in-hound-and-gatos

and an excerpt from a link provided on that thread indicating: 

Vitamin D, in its D3 form, is one of the essential fat soluble vitamins that your dog or cat obtains from its diet.

You and I can do with dietary sources of vitamin D2 or simply produce vitamin D from cholesterol-like compounds in our skin (7-dehydrocholesterol) when we are exposed to sunlight. But most carnivores, including dogs and cats have lost that ability. Your pet would normally obtain adequate D3 from liver, egg and meat ingredients in its diet. But pet food manufacturers fortify their foods with extra vitamin D3 - just to be sure.

http://www.2ndchance.info/dxme-VitD3.htm

I guess if it's something fed just once in a while, it's not an issue but maybe long-term, cumulatively it might be an issue.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It'd be served as part of a rotation. Probably with the chicken & beef, as well as 5 proteins of raw. From my quick research, it seems like cats SHOULD get all the D3 they need from meat, pet food manufacturers just choose to supplement "just in case."

The cats seem to really like it so far, so I'd hate to throw it out of the rotation. It's so hard to find good quality canned food for a reasonable price. I think I will email the manufacturer tomorrow and ask why they use D3 in chicken/beef, and D2 in Turkey.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'd be served as part of a rotation. Probably with the chicken & beef, as well as 5 proteins of raw. From my quick research, it seems like cats SHOULD get all the D3 they need from meat, pet food manufacturers just choose to supplement "just in case."

The cats seem to really like it so far, so I'd hate to throw it out of the rotation. It's so hard to find good quality canned food for a reasonable price. I think I will email the manufacturer tomorrow and ask why they use D3 in chicken/beef, and D2 in Turkey.
Great - you are correct, I noticed that as well, that the meats should provide D3 but that manufacturer's add a bit more just in case. 

No, definitely I wouldn't throw it out and since you have other foods and do raw as well, more than likely it's fine. I'd be willing myself to give it a try actually. I'll contact HE as well and ask why not D3 for the turkey when they are using D3 for the other two.

I like that it doesn't have peas or potatoes. Wish it didn't have guar gum but I'm using already a small amount of canned food with guar gum (Weruva) and the cats are okay with it. Actually, given the choice, I'll take a canned food with guar gum but minimal veggies / carbs over a canned food without guar and starchy veggies.  It's pate right? The indy store where I work, HE sells really well for dogs but I have to remind people that several of the cans for dogs aren't complete and balanced. The stuff moves quickly from the shelves, however.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's pate right? The indy store where I work, HE sells really well for dogs but I have to remind people that several of the cans for dogs aren't complete and balanced. The stuff moves quickly from the shelves, however.
I just emailed them about the D2. 

Yes, it's pate, but a little chunkier and very soft. It's not like the hard, smooth "can shaped" pate. Almost like soft ground meat. (Similar to Merrick LID chicken.) It also has a very strong "meat smell." It's not bad at all though. Smells like Thanksgiving. 
 I'm hoping to post a full review and some pictures later. I could find no information on it when I was looking for reviews/opinions, so I'd like to make it easier for someone else. 

The cats seem to really like it, and I like how soft it is. The Merrick LID Turkey, I either have to add water to or cut up with a spoon. If I don't, the cats get confused at the can shaped jello food on their plate. 

I'm planning to order the chicken and beef in the next couple days. 

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, it's pate, but a little chunkier and very soft. It's not like the hard, smooth "can shaped" pate. Almost like soft ground meat. (Similar to Merrick LID chicken.) It also has a very strong "meat smell." It's not bad at all though. Smells like Thanksgiving. 
 I'm hoping to post a full review and some pictures later. I could find no information on it when I was looking for reviews/opinions, so I'd like to make it easier for someone else. 

The cats seem to really like it, and I like how soft it is. The Merrick LID Turkey, I either have to add water to or cut up with a spoon. If I don't, the cats get confused at the can shaped jello food on their plate. 

Wonderful - I just emailed HE as well re: the D2 and also asked if or when they would make their two dog canned formulas complete and balanced (b/c I get a lot of customers who buy that food and don't know it's for supplemental feeding only).

Thanks for the feedback re: the turkey formula. I just asked the owner where I work to see if he cld order a case for me.  I'm not thrilled with really soft pates but again, it would be about 25% of the cats' diet.  At least it's not "jelly meat", lol .... you know, some of those canned food pates are so damn gummy, even w/o the carrageenan.

I found only one site with 4 reviews - Chewy.  Looks like not many people may know about this food. I'll keep an eye on it, research HE a bit more.  Looks like no sourcing from China. 

Well, thanks again for the info re: HE and for posting your feedback. :)

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Btw, just noticed on HE's site, Dog Food Advisor gives HE's canned food a 5 star rating. Looking on DFA's site, this company has had no recalls, recalls listed since 2009. 

And the company states they are using organic chicken?  I wonder if indeed they are using certified, organic chicken and for the cat food as well, I will research it a bit ....

What’s more, organic chicken is now our #1 ingredient, and we never use by-products, gluten, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. In fact, every Health Extension diet is formulated to meet the stringent nutritional levels of the AAFCO Dog Food Nutritional program for all stages of a dog’s life. No wonder our foods (made entirely in America) have been endorsed by the American Canine Association.

Last edited: