Merlin has pneumonia 😿

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The above is the drug insert from the people that make and sell the drug.

What I don’t like is that it has not been studied much in cats, it gives inconsistent results, you cannot intubate to maintain oxygen saturation, it drops the blood pressure, yet is excreted in urine making it a double whammy on kidneys, it causes salivation and drooling, but you can’t intubate, so higher risk for aspiration, can also cause pulmonary edema, and a very rough recovery, in my experience. It is an old school drug and there are far better things to use now.
Yeah, I read about some of the effects now the pulmonary edema and I think that’s what happened with Merlin, so it pretty much gave him no chance to recover from whatever was going on. I’m just so heartbroken. I could barely function now from all of this, I feel so responsible because I took him there and I agreed to that. I’ll never forgive myself. 😭😭😭😭

There were cats who had to be revived from that who had an immediate severe reaction who had to be revived with naloxone and another drug. Then one of them got lost after… who was still in a daze. I was reading things on Twitter I think that people posted.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me how I can look up to see if Dvm were sanctioned or had complaints in the past on the website posted here? I went there, and I can’t figure out any way to do that there.

in addition, I wanted to add that what I wrote in my first post that Merlin had a high fever was later contradicted by the first doctor because he told later me he had a low fever. I thought he said high fever, so maybe I made a mistake or maybe that was just another flip-flop of information I was given I’m not sure.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thing is, you don’t know. How could you? We have to trust the veterinary professionals and that is hard, especially when they aren’t honest about what they are doing.

There was obviously something going on with Merlin, or you wouldn’t have taken him in. But I do think that both hospitals care for him and you was horrible. I am so sorry.

Veterinary care has drastically changed since COVID. Where vets used to try to get business, now they pick and chose who they treat. I see it all the time on the veterinary forums I am on. Everyone so concerned with their own well being and forgetting what they are there for.

I fo think that sometimes it is time that our cats will leave us and there really is nothing you can go but prolong the inevitable for a short time. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what is done.

Merlin knew you loved him and he loved you. The only thing I think you can do now is report them to the board. Like I said before, it won’t cause them to lose their license, but it will cause them stress and to rethink how they do things.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The way I do it is a Google search of (your state) then vet med board
That takes you to the search, it’s usually the first to come up and if you look, there is a section that says public records,
Click on that. Then go to the bottom of the page and click the year you want to look up.
Look for the name of the vet and if they are in there, click on it.
Scroll down and click on accusations.
I am attaching screenshots of my search in my area. And surprise, there is a vet I worked with and got into a big fight with and I walked out shortly after. D467D9FD-3AA6-45B8-9238-4FCE6BCECCB3.png 9507E5C6-E780-442D-B578-F33703FE6A40.png 5B5C2CEE-F901-41BC-B601-3239B0E3AFA7.png 64B53CBD-C662-4D60-A07D-102F94BCBB75.png 02C0CBEA-87A6-4A20-8850-92D6EC4A2879.png 4136F12A-3F65-4F33-B281-0B54903DD035.png A6959E7C-2D15-4579-8058-954FE89CE1FE.png 41F11EBC-5271-4EC4-A58E-E4B6AC51356D.png 1F41E254-75DA-4649-A7A2-F5AC5F797DF6.png D467D9FD-3AA6-45B8-9238-4FCE6BCECCB3.png 9507E5C6-E780-442D-B578-F33703FE6A40.png 5B5C2CEE-F901-41BC-B601-3239B0E3AFA7.png 64B53CBD-C662-4D60-A07D-102F94BCBB75.png 02C0CBEA-87A6-4A20-8850-92D6EC4A2879.png 1F41E254-75DA-4649-A7A2-F5AC5F797DF6.png

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is, you don’t know. How could you? We have to trust the veterinary professionals and that is hard, especially when they aren’t honest about what they are doing.

There was obviously something going on with Merlin, or you wouldn’t have taken him in. But I do think that both hospitals care for him and you was horrible. I am so sorry.

Veterinary care has drastically changed since COVID. Where vets used to try to get business, now they pick and chose who they treat. I see it all the time on the veterinary forums I am on. Everyone so concerned with their own well being and forgetting what they are there for.

I fo think that sometimes it is time that our cats will leave us and there really is nothing you can go but prolong the inevitable for a short time. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what is done.

Merlin knew you loved him and he loved you. The only thing I think you can do now is report them to the board. Like I said before, it won’t cause them to lose their license, but it will cause them stress and to rethink how they do things.
I trust no med professionals anymore due to all my experiences. I expect them to be dishonest and or incompetent as well as heartless and condescending. Everything that happened here, and everything in the records just confirms that for me once again, even more.

It’s the rare one that is a good person and cares.

And I failed because I wasn’t feeling well that day and I was scared. Yes something was wrong with him but the likelihood is he would still be alive now, if they hadn’t given him those drugs and terrible treatment, if I had taken him somewhere else or gotten him to another hospital sooner. And if he wasn’t and what happened had not happened, I would still feel horrible but I wouldn’t feel the pain that I’m feeling now from all of this.

Could he have died anyway yes, but the problem is I will never know now and I’m responsible for what happened because I took him there and I trusted those excuses for med pros when I knew better. I knew I should never trust anybody again after how many things I’ve seen and have been through.

Both my parents killed my medial negligence & deliberate malfeasance in my fathers case by the same hospital 30 years apart. Me almost dying by negligence by my doctor and sveral other doctors, and the hospital. And three of my cats and many stories I have heard from other people. Also my grandmother received terrible care and there was negligence.

These are not isolated incidents. These are the norm. Some people who don’t realize that need to really take a look at what’s going on in medical care in this country for people and animals and it’s not just since Covid. My mother died over 30 years ago.

At that time we had a lawsuit going, and my father talked to a surgeon in a top hospital, who said that he was very sorry for what happened, that she could have been transferred there and she would’ve been given surgery immediately and had a good chance to survive with no major deficits. And he said knew that the hospital she was in was a problem. He said he would like to testify for us, but he couldn’t because it would ruin his career.

Similar thing happened with my uncle who was a doctor in Canada years ago. As a medical student, he saved a patient that another doctor almost killed, he stayed with him for two days. And when he wanted to report it, his superior told him not to because it would ruin his career.

there are only around 20,000 medical malpractice lawsuits filed in this country every year. That’s because it’s incredibly difficult & expensive to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit even when there’s been gross negligence and to get a lawyer to take it on.

Take a look at the video I posted of Merlin two weeks before this happened. He does not look unhealthy, much less so unhealthy that he’s just gonna drop dead a week later.

In addition, I am just disgusted by the whole veterinary profession now. I was just abused by somebody who claimed to be a vet tech who is retired and had taught and some college where she lives on social media.

I think what happened was I made a statement on her post because she said she was using telazol to shave cats or something and I said it was dangerous for cats with breathing problems or heart problems and it shouldn’t be used for that…

so she comes on my photos of Merlin and me, verbally abuses me multiple times, and says they have a word for people like me veterinarians etc.- they call us, sunshiners or something I’m not even sure what she meant by that. That’s the attitude of such people. She confirmed my feeling about most of them.

I told her that she’s pathetic and God help any animals she gets near, but hopefully it’s zero now since she’s retired, lol. And that If she’s so sure about herself and her superior knowledge she wouldn’t be flying off the handle and abusing me on my pages right after my cat died in part or in full from poor veterinary care, and the reaction to those drugs.

I also reported her for harassment, but I know they won’t do anything about it.

Yeah, I’m gonna report this, but there will be repercussions for me. I’ll be blackballed by all of the veterinarians in this area but that pretty much happened already probably when I did that with Angie when she had convenia. I really wonder if it would even make them change anything to be honest through you, but if it causes them some problems, at least that’s a way for me to feel like they realize that somebody’s gonna fight back when they do this type of stuff.

I feel the younger Dvm is not somebody who should even be a Dvm. He’s mentally unstable, and I wonder how many other people he abused that way. Maybe nobody because most people don’t have the courage to even say anything at the time that it happens. I think it’s very interesting that when I was on the phone with someone he never said anything abusive to me.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it has the pictures in the wrong order. I hope this helps.
I will read this and try again. If I can’t figure it out I may message you if that’s OK. Or I can call the website tomorrow and ask. I may have to wait because tomorrow I have to talk to the er hospital again about the doctor filling out the necropsy form and I have to call Cornell and figure out how I’m gonna ship in there and I have to call the place he was going to be cremated at and cancel that.

I hope the emergency hospital doc that I asked to fill out the form is not gonna try and charge me and a arm in the leg for writing the report because that’s what my other Dvm did when Angie died if they do that, I’m gonna tell them I’m making a complaint against them. Based on that alone.

Not only did they charge me a fortune to fill out the form most of what she wrote on there was a bunch of lies about me! My father called her up after that, yelled at her and had her in tears. Then she never went over any of it with me- that was supposed to be what the charge was for I guess.

I told her I can figure it out myself because I’m smart enough to read it, look things up and understand it which I did. She had told me she prolly couldn’t understand it well at first herself so she probably wasn’t gonna be able to explain it to me!

LOL if I as an intelligent person can read it and figure it out she as a Dvm should be able to. I think at some point point. I briefly spoke to her on the phone and she said oh well there’s nothing unexpected in the report that disagrees with her version of it, but that wasn’t true.
At the time this all happened, I told her because she asked me what am I gonna treat these cats with- I said you use an antibiotic that’s safe, that can be stopped if they have a reaction.

Then I found out later from an Online review a few years later that she had killed someone else’s cat by giving them convenia. This time the poor cat barely had anything wrong except the tooth infection, and she died two days later with anemia again. So the woman that posted this said that the doctor had told her that she thought all the stuff about convenient were just stories and she had never had a problem before. A lie!
The owner was very upset because she researched convenia, and immediately found all of the terrible reactions that had happened. I communicated with her and I told her was sorry because I hadn’t written a review then, which I should have. Maybe that would’ve warned her.

She had told the Dvm that they could just have their pet sitter give their cat a pill, because the cat was easy to pill, but the Dvm pushed convenia on her, just like they did on me. I can guarantee you her cat would have been ok if she hadn’t received it.

They also delayed writing the report by at least a week and a half because I think they thought then it would be impossible for me to do the necropsy. However, I kept Angie in a cooler with ice which is what Cornell told me to do and they said it would be fine, and it was. I shipped her overnight air.

also, I was amazed at the detail and the extent of the necropsy they did they investigated everything so thoroughly and explained it so well, and they even figured out exactly what type of cancer she had.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feel free to message me your state and I will get the link for you.

Veterinarians stick together.

Just ask for your records. You have a right to them. Ask for X-rays and blood work results. I think they have 3 business days to get them ready for you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What state are you in? Feel free to message me if you like.
I am in NY. when I type New York veterinary medical board it just takes me know some general website I click on some thing it takes me to the office of professional misconduct. I’m not even sure if that’s for Dvm because it only mentions human doctors, etc.

There’s nowhere to search any DVM there to see if they were complaints about them already…here is what I found these links.

It’s completely confusing which is what I remember. Last time. I had to call them up on the phone to figure out how to even do it and of course it came to nothing even though several of us were making valid complaints.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay. I will mess with it for a while and see what I can figure out. I do have access to some veterinary sites that may be able to help

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

It’s not as easy as in CA. Click on the above link and enter in the name of the vet you are looking into. When you find them, click on the number next to their name and that will show more inflow. Click on enforcements and see if there is anything there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
If you go to the above site, you can look at all the violations by year.
Thanks, I'm going to try. I had a very busy day trying to schedule a pick up to ship Merlin, calling people etc. I'm exhausted. I still have to request records from the original dvm. The necropsy is more this time because he is heavier. I think it will give me relief to find out the cause and if he really had pneumonia. I hope they can tell if telazol caused lung edema etc. A friend said I am doing the right thing. I hope so.

I feel sad I won't have the viewing at the cremation place and it takes a few weeks to get the ashes back. They said the necropsy will take a week probably. Then I can start complaints. I had a sort of service for him while he was still on the couch and picked songs for a memorial it will have to be later now without him there. I kept petting his tummy and did not want to let him go. It was strange his fur warmed up there from my hand and it looked like he was breathing. I know it must have been an illusion of course. The other cats are upset, I can tell.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
If you go to the above site, you can look at all the violations by year.
Thanks, I was able to look up all the dvm I had problems with. None have any sanctions. In spite of efforts for one hospital by several people. I re read the review I wrote about Byron, and the om reply was a joke, not even a real apology. She said my complaint was not valid because it was 10 years ago and based on one doc who had not been there for years. But in fact, the head doc still owns the hospital prolly and is still licensed there, I am not sure if he is still practicing. And it stands that he never got on the phone with us to discuss what his veterinarian did, which was to pierce Byron's spleen trying to take fluid out and then wrap a bandage around him and then say it was ok for him to go home. Byron was his patient for a few years. And they charged us $800 dollars for that to cause him a horrific death. So apparently there were never any sanctions or anything as far as I know. They just get away with it.

I remembered a man replying before who was more apologetic. I wonder if she changed it? Very weird if so.

I wonder if I can still make complaints against them now years later? I mean specifically the doctor that did it instead of the hospital? Or take them to small claims court for a refund at least.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the Discipline Complaint form that you have located, there are phone numbers at the bottom. It might be quickest to call and ask where veterinary information and complaints are handled.

NYS Professional Misconduct Enforcement - Complaint Form
Veterinary Medicine | Office of the Professions

This is overlapping with what S silent meowlook posted and may or may not help.
Yes I am going to call them after I get him shipped etc. I find it so odd that NY does not have a separate dvm board, it is part of the department of education apparently. Strange to say the least.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if I can make a complaint also based on the behavior of the cray younger dvm based on his maltreatment of me trying to tell me I have to leave etc. when my cat is in respiratory distress and the other crazy stuff? He only just got his license 2 years ago it seems.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn’t hurt to try.
As you can see by the complaints listed for other vets, the board seems mostly concerned with record keeping and substance abuse.

It amazes me what they can do wrong and still practice veterinary medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.