Meowing

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sookie isn't a small kitten but she isn't full grown either. She meows a lot. She meows more when I'm playing with her. This is something I've never seen a cat do. Is she ok or is she meowing because she's unhappy??

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are more vocal than others. The Siamese family especially so, but there is quite a bit of variation among randombred cats as well. So, if she’s acting normally (eating, drinking, playing, and using the litterbox), then I think that the meowing is just her wonderful, unique personality. If you’re concerned, though, this is always something that you can ask about at your next vet appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she does it when we play I feel like she doesn't like HOW I'm playing with her lol I have one of those sticks with feathers on the end and a bell. Anytime she hears that bell she comes running from wherever! But she meows the entire time we play .IDK why I think the worst~that she doesn't like playing with me. She's having fun that's why she's so vocal
IMG_20180901_130909301.jpg

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If everything else is normal it’s probably just her personality. My 13 yo Casey is a howler and a talker. He meows constantly unless he’s sleeping. My new kitten Dexter, on the other hand barely ever meows. It’s what makes each cat unique

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystaljanie511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to try and shorten this post as much as I can~I've had Sookie since August & she is a wonderful pet. Not too long agyo, for a couple days, she was walking around meowing non~stop. Well, it did eventually stop .She's doing it again now except she's also....idk how to describe it... She's also making like a howling noise. It's a long story but we fell behind bad on rent and bills and I haven't been able to take her to the vet. This Friday is the first time I'll have the money to take her. My point is, I'm not sure how old she is. My first thought is she's in heat. But I don't know if she's old enough. Also, there's a doorwall in my spare room. The old tenants broke the door handle and there are two holes going all the way through. I'm wondering if an animal was in the backyard (that's on the other side of the doorwall) and she's smells them. Does anyone have an idea as to why she may be acting this way? And also, what ARE the signs of her being in heat? Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is more than four months old, the chances are HUGE that she is indeed in heat. Yowling, restlessness, trying to get out, spending time in a low crouch raising and lowering her back feet or raising her butt in the air are all signs of a cat in heat. If she doesn’t mate she will cycle in an out of heat frequently. This is very uncomfortable for them and noisy for their owners.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That sure sounds to me as though she's in heat...
From a TCS article;
"When in heat, a cat’s behavior changes drastically. Females become very vocal, clingy and sometimes even aggressive as they’re overstressed by their hormones. Spaying them prevents this behavior."

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup. That kitty needs to get spayed! :wink:

If you are looking for a way to help with the cost of the vet visit here are some ideas:

If you search "low cost spay neuter" or "free spay neuter" you should be able to find a place to get her fixed for cheap/free.

You can enter your zip code here as well to try and find a place:
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs

Or try calling your local animal control or vet and ask them if they know where you can get cheap/free spay/neuter services.