Menadione

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think the menadione issue is overblown based on an inappropriate review of human and rat exposure studies. Human exposure to menadione as a feed ingredient is much different than cat exposure to it as a food ingredient. The method of exposure must be considered. If water had a material safety data sheet, it would probably say that it's fatal if inhaled. The degree of exposure is important too. Toxicity is not absolute but dose-dependent. Botulinum toxin can be fatal but it can also be useful against migraines and wrinkles. There isn't enough menadione in an entire bag of dry food to add up to a toxic dose for a cat.

Vitamin K3 (menadione) in Pet Food: Is It Safe? | The SkeptVet
This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to on menadione, too. Although it makes me uneasy I, too, am just not finding enough evidence that it's dangerous to cats.

We feed the cats a can of Fancy Feast Classic and a "perfect portions" pack of Sheba each week because they're low-carb, high-protein foods that both cats will eat. That combination (or even just canned foods without potatoes or legumes!) is getting harder to find and even if I'm not thrilled with the menadione or some of the artificial ingredients (I do avoid sulfites in FF and am not sure if they're in Sheba -- I need to check that, it's a newer one for us) I'm not feeding them very often, compared with the homemade or commercial raw foods on the menu.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with all things there's probably no harm in feeding some cans of ff with menadione per week (or a lot apparently). That's what's great about rotations!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with all things there's probably no harm in feeding some cans of ff with menadione per week (or a lot apparently). That's what's great about rotations!
Exactly! A little menadione, a chicken/fish dish every now and then, a can of Nutro duck with carrageenan (they love it!) once month or two... I think there's be an armed rebellion around here if there weren't occasional variety meals. :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimee d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welllllll, he did it again. Siloh ate RAWZ twice, but now has decided he doesn't like it any longer. :disappointed: He's killing me, really he is. He just wasted 40 bucks. He hates all of the tiki cat except the fish, which I can't feed every single day. I'm waiting for Vital Essentials to arrive, and I still need to order Feline Natural and Ziwi to see if it suits his highness. LOL I know many people like to use Classic Fancy Feast, and that is what were were using for a long time, but just for me I don't want to go back to it. Personal preference. I also ordered some cat food topper to see if that will get mr rotten a$$ to eat the good stuff. HA HAA:lol: UGH, the things you do for your furbabies!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwi is a lot of lamb and venison flavors. Do you know if Shiloh eats red meat? A lot of cats don't. Krista doesn't or it would be so much easier to feed her. Sprouts has so many game meats to choose from in the frozen section which I could use for homemade raw. Lately I've been feeding her Rawz turkey, duck, and rabbit in rotation. By rotation, I mean I go to one of four stores and buy a stack of cans of whichever of her three flavors they have. None of the stores have all three. Judging from the almost full portion she just ate outside of her normal feeding hours, I think she's telling me it was about time we rotated back to turkey. I also leave a plate of food out for her pretty much always so she can eat in her own time. Sometimes I use fish flakes or fortiflora as topper to get her to eat a decent portion. But most of the time, she does eventually clean the plate in the three or four hour window before I refresh it with a new plate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimee d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Siloh, not Shiloh...LOL He likes classic fancy feast pates, but I'm trying to stop him from eating that anymore. So far he hates all of tiki except fish flavors, hates rawz, or anything like tiki that is shredded. He likes KOHA on his terms. I just got vital essentials, but am disappointed as I thought it was the type of food like freshpet refrigerated pellet looking stuff. Next I'm going to try feline natural and ziwi if it is gum and carrageenan free. Siloh is wasting a lot of money.