Meloxicam for arthritis

NRG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone tried it? My older cat has a new life in her after she takes .4 ml every time she needs the dosage roughly every 2 to 3 weeks. Just putting this put there if anyone has an elderly cat that suffers from arthritis or joint pain. I always make her eat before and just squirt the dose in her mouth she loves the taste. One side effect is she's now always hungry.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi NRG and welcome to the forum !

Where are you located (by country) ?

There's more information that's critical for safely using medication than the amount/quantity that is being used for each administration and the frequency of same - the two numbers you provided there.

The strength of the preparation is of equal importance....in the case of meloxicam, it is critically important.

What is the strength of the product you have ? Strength for liquids is indicated by "mg/ml".....the number of milligrams of the drug that are in each mil of the prescription. The strength will be indicated on the product label.

The required amount of any drug is also dependent on the weight of the patient. What is your cat's weight? How accurate is that? When was the cat last weighed and by whom and with what ?

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet says you can just put this on food... but what I have read you can't because the dose has to be exact.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet says you can just put this on food... but what I have read you can't because the dose has to be exact.
With any med, you need to find a medium that allows you to ensure your cat is eating the entire dose. To do this, you have the option of what I do with Feeby's meds - and, that is with her morning dose, I mix her med with just enough food and watch her eat it before she gets the rest of her meal. Later, for her second dose, I mix with just enough baby food meat or a lickable treat, so I again know that she has taken the full dose. You just have to find the right solution for you and your cat. But, yes, you don't mix any med with an entire meal unless you are sure your cat will eat the entire meal in a short period of time.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With any med, you need to find a medium that allows you to ensure your cat is eating the entire dose. To do this, you have the option of what I do with Feeby's meds - and, that is with her morning dose, I mix her med with just enough food and watch her eat it before she gets the rest of her meal. Later, for her second dose, I mix with just enough baby food meat or a lickable treat, so I again know that she has taken the full dose. You just have to find the right solution for you and your cat. But, yes, you don't mix any med with an entire meal unless you are sure your cat will eat the entire meal in a short period of time.
Ok thanks, that makes sense. My cat is usually starving in the morning and eats his entire meal so just giving him half should do.