Mega Colon

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy tigger my avatar was not feeling good yesterday so off to the vet we went being a Saturday i wanted him to be seen. What i thought was a blockage turned out to be colitis and a perinatal hernia. The vet did an exam and ex rays to make sure there was no blockage higher up. He was put on Metronidazole 1 ml every 12 hours and she also put him on Gabapentin 1 ml every 12 hours for a week. I have heard of surgery to do a resection of the colon. She said the surgery does not always work and is not guaranteed to fix the problem and some times the end result is worse than not having the surgery. Has any had the surgery done also has anyone had the surgery done for the perinatal. Any feed back about these medicine are new to me. He has been fed a diet of grain free wet food now she has prescribed Purina en Gastroentic formula. Has anyone else used this food my boy started it yesterday he is not a fussy eater i mixed his med right into his food and he ate it all the vet said it could be added to his food. I am just looking for anyone who has used these medicine and food just looking for feed back

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
My boy had metro prescribed as an antibiotic, and I believe the gabapentin is for pain relief.

I've not used the food, but you are incredibly fortunate that your kitty is so tolerant and is eating and taking his meds :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until other members come along - hopefully soon - and have some first hand knowledge to share with you, perhaps there would be some helpful information in this previous threads about mega colon (sorry to say, I found nothing on perinatal hernia).

Search Results for Query: mega colon | TheCatSite

Wish I could be of more help.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can heal the colitis. George's Aloe is very soothing to the digestive tract and aloe is healing. George's Aloe tastes just like water so you could syringe feed it to Tigger several times a day (2-5mls) or put it in his water. It will also help stools pass easier.

You need to find the source of the colitis, though. Is it because of infection or parasites or allergy or intolerance to something he's eating on a regular basis? If it is because of the hernia, then the hernia should be repaired, I would think. What does the vet say about the hernia?

Last edited:

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has some constipation issues, and I've used Miralax but am curious about George's Aloe. What would be the dosage for a cat to 'stimulate' digestion/bowel movements?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is feeling much better today he is eating his food and taking his medicine. The vet said the hernia was irritated due to the diarrhea. That has stopped i have to call the vet back tomorrow she wants to know how he is doing. He goes back for follow up in a couple of weeks. Bowles are moving good. We will talk about the colitis and see if she thinks he needs the surgery. He is feeling like himself today. Eating and drinking and using the litter box.

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for responses

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can heal the colitis. George's Aloe is very soothing to the digestive tract and aloe is healing. George's Aloe tastes just like water so you could syringe feed it to Tigger several times a day (2-5mls) or put it in his water. It will also help stools pass easier.

You need to find the source of the colitis, though. Is it because of infection or parasites or allergy or intolerance to something he's eating on a regular basis? If it is because of the hernia, then the hernia should be repaired, I would think. What does the vet say about the hernia?

She thinks hernia aggravated by the diarrhea which has stopped. Bottom is better not irritated back to normal. I will talk to the vet tomorrow and he goes back for follow up on couple of weeks. She wants to give the medicine a chance to work.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mod Note: About Providing Medical Advice on this Board

We ask that our members read the above thread and follow the guidelines when responding to health questions.

In particular, please note the following:
Members here, unless they can satisfactorily prove their certification as a DVM, are not qualified to dispense medical advice, dosage information, types of medications that can be used, etc., in the open Forums OR in private messages