Meet Albert...

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you could if I could get him out from underneath the bed, anyway. At least, that's where we think he is... Cats are such excellent hiders, aren't they!

I'm not sure if it's too soon after losing Mr. Grimsby on March 20th, but we adopted a one-year old from the local shelter yesterday. He's been isolated from Bertha until the vet checked him out. He cried and howled all night long - what a painful, depressing, and aggravating night!

The vet gave him a clean bill of health, except for the missing upper left canine. He said that the tooth had been broken off and the root was still embedded. He recommended surgery to remove the stump to prevent infection further down the line. Other than that, he said it was okay to let Albert meet Bertha under strict supervision.

So, we introduced them when we got back from the vet. Bertha chased him into a corner, hissed at him, then I interrupted them. I picked her up and held her close until her tail went back to normal size. Albert scampered off to the bedroom and hid out.  That's exactly what the vet said would happen. They'd posture, then retreat to their separate corners.

Anyway, when the fellow finally decides he's hungry or has to use the bathroom, I'll try to snap a picture for you. He's a handsome guy, even if he doesn't have all his teeth :-)

Oh, on another note, the vet said that the previous owner should have had him neutered (the humane society did it a month ago). The vet feels that his being turned over tot he shelter probably extended his life tenfold. He said that tomcats generally die before the age of two because the contract feline AIDS or FELV.

So, if you have a young male kitten and you're debating whether to get him neutered, please do him and yourself a favor. Don't delay, get it done as soon as he's old enough. It could cost him his life!

Best regards.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on the new family member!  

How's it going with Albert and Bertha?  Have you been able to get a photo of your guy yet?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's astounding - we kept them separated the first day, until Albert got the all-clear from the vet (I'm a little concerned today, though, because he had some crusty gunk on his eyes this afternoon - could be a cold or conjunctivitis or allergies). The vet suggested that we could let them hang out together, under strict supervision. He has become her constant shadow. Bertha can't go anywhere without Bert close behind. I think he's decided she's his long-lost mom - and since she has been a mom, she thinks he's her wayward son. Anyway, they're terrific together. We feel very fortunate to have Bert and Bertha.

He has a wonky mouth right  now - I'll take a picture of him after the vet has fixed his broken tooth. That way, he'll be his totally handsome self :-)

Best regards.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww...that's so cute!  
  I'm glad it's working out.  Nothing better than one big happy cat family.  

I hope you can get Bert's health issues dealt with in short order.