Medications or Supplements to Minimize UTI Flares?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fabulous users of TCS, 

This is a companion thread to one that I have started in the Raw section of the Nutrition forum. If so inclined you read it in full here:  [thread="267809"]What Is The Quickest And Most Convenient Way To Feed Raw​[/thread]  To avoid repetition, I'm just going to give the reader's digest version of what's going on.

My parents' cat has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome for several years and has frequent, recurring urinary tract infections. The main issue at this point are the UTI's, as when she has one she pees on the furniture to communicate to us that she is in pain. And that is certainly not making my Dad very happy! 

A year and a half ago we put her on an all grain free, wet food diet and it seemed to help some. But, we noticed a huge change this past summer when she was going outside regularly and feasting on as many rabbits as she could get her paws on. From May until a few weeks ago she didn't have a single episode! But, Winter is now upon us and the bunnies are in short supply and she's having to spend a lot more time indoors. And, of course, now she is in the middle of having a major flare. Because of this observation and other supporting documents I have read that show a correlation between a raw diet and a decrese in UTI's, we are in the process of switching her over. 

What I am wanting to know is what, In addition to a raw diet, have other people who have cats with frequent UTI's done to try and prevent them. Specifically, are there any supplements you have found particularly helpful? How about medications? Or, any particular type of meat for the raw diet that seems to help more than another? I'm open to any and all suggestions! 

I would love to hear your experiences on what has worked and what hasn't. That said, I for sure want to get her started on her new diet before I start adding other things. That way, if something is working or not working we will know what it is and not have to go through any more of the trial and error process than we already are. At this point I am just trying to collect as much information as I can so we have options of what else to try when something inevitably doesn't go quite right. And, hopefully having options will keep my Dad from getting so frustrated!  

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can offer- I really appreciate it! 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could supplement her food with L-Methionine, I believe Laurie uses NOW or you could use the treat.  This http://www.thecatsite.com/t/249172/ph-and-protein-in-urine-a-little-high-why explains it more fully.  (Thanks to an upgrade to  Wndows Explorer I can't do a Link...)

Also, turkey breast is particularly high in L-Methionine.  Seeing how it's turkey time.... PS:  the stores where I shop sell Turkey Breast Cutlets; unfortunately, it has added sodium and sugar, so I can't use it.

I did not go this route because I was afraid I'd use too much of the L-Methionine.  And as I understand it, you have to monitor fairly often the pH level, which involves sticking a urine strip under your cat's bum.  Which Ritz wouldn't stand for, literally.

Because her UTIs are largely stress induced, I use Feliway plug ins.  I've recently been re-adding L-Theanine to her raw food, it promotes relaxation.  The last UTI she had (about three months ago) was bacteria based; the vet said the bacteria was in her food which got into her poop, and she licked her anus and then her vagina; hence, the infection.  (I think that's a stretch, but I'm not a vet, and the vet isn't a proponent of Raw feeding.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You could supplement her food with L-Methionine, I believe Laurie uses NOW or you could use the treat.  This http://www.thecatsite.com/t/249172/ph-and-protein-in-urine-a-little-high-why explains it more fully.  (Thanks to an upgrade to  Wndows Explorer I can't do a Link...)

Also, turkey breast is particularly high in L-Methionine.  Seeing how it's turkey time.... PS:  the stores where I shop sell Turkey Breast Cutlets; unfortunately, it has added sodium and sugar, so I can't use it.

I did not go this route because I was afraid I'd use too much of the L-Methionine.  And as I understand it, you have to monitor fairly often the pH level, which involves sticking a urine strip under your cat's bum.  Which Ritz wouldn't stand for, literally.

Because her UTIs are largely stress induced, I use Feliway plug ins.  I've recently been re-adding L-Theanine to her raw food, it promotes relaxation.  The last UTI she had (about three months ago) was bacteria based; the vet said the bacteria was in her food which got into her poop, and she licked her anus and then her vagina; hence, the infection.  (I think that's a stretch, but I'm not a vet, and the vet isn't a proponent of Raw feeding.)
Yeah this is a really good idea but, like you, I have significant concerns about the need to monitor her pH level. She is my Dad's cat, and I'm feeling super fortunate that he's even willing to take the few extra steps necessary to feed her raw. He loathes cleaning the litterbox and literally puts on gloves up to his elbows to do it. Given that, I HIGHLY doubt he is going to be willing to stick a urine strip anywhere near her!  

I do have on my list to put a feliway diffuser over there to try and help with stress. And, I will add turkey to my list of treats that I'm hoping he will rotate! 

Thanks for the input! 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicole, it would be helpful to know what urinalysis showed exactly. Does Livvy get actual urinary tract bacterial infections that the vet prescribes antibiotics for? Has her urine been cultured for the specific bacteria? Or does she get stress-induced cystitis or crystals?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicole, it would be helpful to know what urinalysis showed exactly. Does Livvy get actual urinary tract bacterial infections that the vet prescribes antibiotics for? Has her urine been cultured for the specific bacteria? Or does she get stress-induced cystitis or crystals?
You know I'm actually not 100% sure. I know she has never had crystals and my assumption would be it's bacterial since she is always given antibiotics to treat it, though I don't know what kind specifically. I didn't go to the last vet visit but I should be at my Dad's later so I'll see if I can find the report. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get a copy of the urinalysis and diagnosis, that would be good. I will warn you that it may not be bacterial infection. A lot of vets like to throw antibiotics at sterile cystitis too.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And....  from where did she get the bacteria?

I feed raw.  My vet said the meat she ate had cocco? in it.  She pooped.  She licked her anus, then her vagina (sorry for the graphics) and that's how she got a UTI.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes stress is a contributing factor to UTIs, so my suggestion would be to try to establish and stick to a routine as much as possible.  You might also want to invest in a Feliway or Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser to run in your home.  It contains a simulated pheromone that helps kitties relax and de-stress.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you can get a copy of the urinalysis and diagnosis, that would be good. I will warn you that it may not be bacterial infection. A lot of vets like to throw antibiotics at sterile cystitis too.
I wasn't able to meet up with him the other day but we have plans for tomorrow. Hopefully I can go through her file then and try and sort out the specifics. And you are absolutely right that it may not be bacterial at all. The vet we have now is our 4th one. We saw way too many at the beginning that just blew it off as no big deal, but this one seems to take it and her treatment seriously. But, between fosters and my two cats and my brother's cat and Livvy I can't keep straight who had what and was given what and when. I'll let you know what I find out!

And....  from where did she get the bacteria?

I feed raw.  My vet said the meat she ate had cocco? in it.  She pooped.  She licked her anus, then her vagina (sorry for the graphics) and that's how she got a UTI.
Your guess is as good as mine! These recurrent UTI's have been a problem ever since we have known her (so over 3 years). My assumption was the most recent one was brought on from her eating a sick bunny but that's just a guess. It could be that she keeps infecting herself through her grooming habits, or as StephanieTX says they could be brought on by stress. It also could be that I am wrong and it's not caused by bacteria at all. I fully admit I have not been to many of her vet appointments over the years and have just gone off of what my parents relayed to me afterwards. Usually when they have taken her it has been because one has come on suddenly and she has peed all over something. Because I don't live there it was often not feasible to rearrange my schedule to go. But, I will go through her file tomorrow and see what I can piece together as to the root cause. 

Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes stress is a contributing factor to UTIs, so my suggestion would be to try to establish and stick to a routine as much as possible.  You might also want to invest in a Feliway or Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser to run in your home.  It contains a simulated pheromone that helps kitties relax and de-stress.
Though I don't think it's the only factor, I totally agree that stress plays a major role in her flares. She's on a very consistent eating schedule but it seems life has been changing constantly since she arrived (first with my Mom getting sick, then with constant changes in her treatments and her health, and then with her death). The other day I did pick up some re-fills for the Feliway diffuser I have here that I am going to put over there and see if it helps her at all. The space is pretty big so I figured I would start by putting it in her main room and then adding others throughout the house if she likes it. I do also think things at the house have quieted down tremendously in the past month or so and while that may be scary and stressful to her now, I think in the end it will be good for her and make it easier for her and my Dad to establish a more consistent routine. 

While her basic necessities have always been a priority and she is one very loved feline, it's absolutely true that Livvy's medical issues have been neglected due to the more pressing needs of my Mom. Yes, we have treated the symptoms but haven't spent much time trying to get to the root cause and engaging in more preventative measures. Now is finally the time for us to do that and I want to be as thorough as possible so she can be as healthy as possible and not have to keep going through these painful UTI flares as frequently as she has had to in the past. My hope is that the diet change will help, but anything else that we can try is something we are more than willing to do. Sometimes it's just hard to know where to start and there is so much conflicting information out there that hearing firsthand accounts helps to narrow down the options considerably! 

So, I will do what I can to figure out what the vet says is the cause and hopefully that will open the door for more specific advice!