Mean Kitty

ranrules

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats - 2 females and 2 males. One male has been with me for 9 years. The other, just one year. When I got the new cat (at 3mo), he integrated into the family just fine. Over time I noticed every now and then he'd jump on the older male (which I know is a dominance thing), but it happened maybe once a month. Over the past couple months, I've noticed his aggression towards the older male has ramped up to the point where the older male now hides in the basement all day because he's scared of the younger male. Now it's progressed to the point of physically scratching the older male's face. :(

I've tried to separate them after the attack, locking the aggressor in the bathroom after attacking, squirting him with water (which he actually likes), and yelling no at him and nothing seems to work. I cannot have the older cat continue to be bullied and I definitely don't want to find a new home for either of them.

Any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that the older cat is sick - sometimes other cats will react to it negatively. Since he is at least 9 years old, he should be getting an annual senior check up and full senior blood panel. If he hasn't seen a vet recently, I would recommend you take him in and have him checked out. It is also possible, but less likely, that the attacker is sick. But, I would get the older guy checked out first.

Keep them separated as much as possible until you see if the vet finds anything. You can do room/area swapping in order to allow your older guy to have some of his favorite spaces back some of the time.

Also, you might want to consider setting up a discipline plan that involves a consistent approach - pick up the attacking cat, hiss at him, say no more to him, and then put him in a 2-3 minute time out in an enclosed room/space. Let him out after that, and go on about your business like nothing happened. The key here is doing the same thing every time he attacks the older cat, when you are home - and, then keeping them apart when you are not.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, they are all neutered & spayed.
That's good. At least no hormones to worry about.

It is possible that the older cat is sick - sometimes other cats will react to it negatively.
That was my next thought. So, I'll also, recommend maybe getting the other cat checked at the vet to ensure he's well.

Here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite
Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite