Meals To Give?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What meals do you make to give to people who are needing a helping hand?

My mother fell at work and broke her upper right arm the other day. They told her 6-8 weeks for recovery. :ohwell: She's going to need some help for a while. My Step-dad is good (cooks, he even does hair and paints nails) but he works too. So I'm trying to come up with some ideas of meals to bring. Maybe some that are easily reheated? Or frozen even.

So far I'm thinking taco casserole (because you can't really eat a taco with one hand), chicken stir fry and this recipe; but with chicken breasts so it's easier to eat: Pan-Roasted Chicken with Lemon-Garlic Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes Recipe. I guess my step-dad can cut her meat off the bone for her; but still. ;) I've made this before and it is AMAZING. :yummy: (So yeah I'll be making a double batch for my family too.;))

I am going to buy some disposable pans but I might just grab a few of her casserole dishes while I'm up there getting the meat she has that needs to be cooked.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i cook/bake and then freeze meals quite a bit. some of my favorites, and that freeze well, are chili, (ground) beef burrito casserole, sloppy joes (i make a homemade version, in a large batch, then freeze in containers), lasagna (i've found it's almost as easy to make two pans, as it is just one pan......and can bake the two pans in the same oven cycle), and baked meatballs. in fact, i double all these recipes when i make them.

beef burrito casserole recipe --
Name Three Things - 2019

sloppy joes recipe --
Sloppy Joes

lasagna recipe (seriously the best i've ever had) --
The Best Lasagna. Ever.

baked meatballs recipe --
Meatball Nirvana Recipe

i freeze the (cooked) baked meatballs on a baking sheet, then transfer them to a gallon zipper bag.

definitely the scalloped potatoes!! you can make not only ham and scalloped potatoes, but i really like (sliced rounds of) kielbasa and scalloped potatoes as well as jalapeno sausage or sweet/hot italian sausage (cooked, then sliced into rounds) in it.

if you'll be putting the meals in storage containers to freeze, it's always a really good idea to label them. things can look very different when frozen, and it can be hard to tell what they are! i like to write a label on a small piece of paper, then put the label in a sandwich size zipper bag (or could use a little plastic film, and wrap it), and then in the container on top of the food).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh I think she would like Shepherds pie! We used to have that from time to time before she and my stepdad married. It's been a while! I like the idea of doing something with meatballs too. Those can be so versatile. She and I talked about making Crab Mac & Cheese the other day. My step-dad doesn't like cheese much; but i can always do something small for her for her lunches. Mom loves to cook. It's kind of what shes known for around here; so having to eat what everyone else cooks might get to her after a bit. ;)

I brought her the taco casserole and a stir fry tonight. She's definitely "stuck" sitting semi-reclined with the arm supported and nearly useless. :( So it's going to have to stay super easy for a while. Maybe even sandwiches.

Both meals "grew" while I was cooking so they should be set for several days. I told my step-dad he might want to try to freeze some if he can. I took home one of Mom's crockpots and some chicken sauce thing she had that she requested. I'll bring that and rice next week sometime.

I'm thinking of spinach bread too. That might be good for lunch. We can leave it sliced ahead of time to just grab and eat.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite thing to do for a quick meal is buy a rotisserie chicken. I generally use on half of it for the two of us for a meal. The other half I use to make chicken salad. We like to eat it plain or add barbeque sauce.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
also get some cold cuts, bread, for a quick lunch.

make some jello or pudding.. not the cups.. impossible to open with one hand.

Small tidbits are good to munch on. even the peanut butter cracker packs... cheez-its.. easy open things, or open them for her.. same with water bottles.

I broke my upper arm, 7 years ago. It was a long, painful healing process.

I hope it is not her dominant arm. It is very difficult and frustrating to learn to have to use the non-dominant for everything.

Even moving, the least bit, is terribly painful.

Ice packs for her arm is so important, for the first couple of weeks... Yes, each time you use the arm, you kind of cringe and hold in a scream..

I wish your mom all the luck...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh splitting a rotisserie chicken up is a great idea! My kids LOVE when I get one for us. One feeds my family so one should give them 2 meals too. I'll make some mashed potatoes to go with it. :yummy:

My kids would enjoy making her some jello. I can add some canned fruit and that would make a nice afternoon snack or a dessert.
I hope it is not her dominant arm. It is very difficult and frustrating to learn to have to use the non-dominant for everything.

Even moving, the least bit, is terribly painful.

Ice packs for her arm is so important, for the first couple of weeks... Yes, each time you use the arm, you kind of cringe and hold in a scream..

I wish your mom all the luck...
It is her dominant arm. :ohwell: She said she is feeling a bit better once she knew to stay on her pain medications around the clock and they finally gave her a brace to help stabilize it. She has some kind of brace that reminds me of football pads that strap around the body and a sling. I couldn't believe it but because of the holiday she wasn't going to get to see an orthopedic doctor for a full week after the break! :eek2: Too many doctors were on vacation. But when she was nearly out of medication last week they squeezed her in and got that brace on it. Her friend told me even the nurse said "oooh!" when she put up the xray; which I've now seen too. :cringe: So for now she sits in her chair with an assortment of tv trays holding kindles, the phone, tv remotes, pain meds and drinks. Her poor 15 year old super cuddly cat is so confused why he can't sit on her. He prefers her armpit and that's just not happening. :lol2: :disturbed: The other cat keeps flopping in front of her saying "pet me!" and then scowling when Mom doesn't bend over to pet her. Spoiled babies. :lol2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother is ninety, nearly blind and has other disabilities. So I have been cooking her meals for the last few years. There are great disposable plastic pans with lids that you can buy that are perfect for homemade TV dinners. Things like meatloaf, turkey or ham with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, or pasta dishes that she can heat up in the microwave. And soups of all kinds which are great for lunch.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaghetti. My mom is always bringing me containers. Whole foods has casseroles and groceries. I make soups a d chili in my slow cooker

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaghetti. My mom is always bringing me containers. Whole foods has casseroles and groceries. I make soups a d chili in my slow cooker
Everyone loves a pasta meal. When I make my mom pasta freezer meals I freeze the pasta sauce in the container first and then add cold cooked pasta on top before putting them back in the freezer. That way the pasta doesn’t get soggy or mushy and tastes like fresh made when reheated.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the containers are easy to open.. or already opened. Trying to open things with one arm is impossible.

Try it with a cat food can!!

I do not think I would use speghetti. Too difficult to eat. I would use pasta; easier to spear with non-dominant hand.

You have to remember.. it is also like feeding a child, who is learning to use utensils.

Open the water bottles for your mom..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone loves a pasta meal. When I make my mom pasta freezer meals I freeze the pasta sauce in the container first and then add cold cooked pasta on top before putting them back in the freezer. That way the pasta doesn’t get soggy or mushy and tastes like fresh made when reheated.
Oh thank you for that tip! I will try that soon. :agree: I guess that would work for soup too. I like hearty soup; but not mushy pasta in soup.
Make sure the containers are easy to open.. or already opened. Trying to open things with one arm is impossible.
I'm going to have to test open things with my left hand and see what works. :doh:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are so thoughtful to step up and help and oh my goodness I've seen some fabulous, MUST try recipes in this thread!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This week I am making a whole chicken that I can split between us.

I'm also going to make these and freeze some for her. I figured the zip lock slider bags should be easier to operate so I'm getting those too. Impossibly Easy Mini Breakfast Sausage Pies

Those look like they can be customized into any kind of filling you want. So I'm considering doing a few "pot pie" ones with the leftover chicken and maybe sloppy joes? Even chicken with broccoli should be good. Her appetite isn't huge; so these look easy to just choose how much you want and throw them in the microwave.

I'm putting Shepherds Pie and Porcupine meatballs on next weeks list. Or maybe this weekend.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing my mom used to make for us, is mashed potato balls. They would be easy to package (in single or meal serving), heat and serve.
Make your mashed potatoes as usual (but not too wet). Let them cool so they are a bit stiffer and safe to handle.
Grate some cheese, and mix the cheese into the potatoes.
Then form into a good sized ball (bigger than an egg but smaller than a base ball??)
Then roll the ball into crushed corn flakes. For extra flavor and crispness when re-heating, mix a bit of melted butter into the corn flakes before rolling.
To heat them, the oven or toaster oven is better, so the corn flakes don't get that stale like texture. (I have microwaved them though, and they are not bad) But they are easy to handle, and freeze well.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I see somebody else mentioned spaghetti. You might be able to make a big pot of pasta sauce, then put it in freezable containers. Then your dad could grab a container of sauce, make some spaghetti and dinner is served in no time. Baked ziti is good. A good tuna and noodle casserole.

Soups. If your parents like split pea soup, it freezes beautifully and helps up well. I don't like to freeze stews with potatoes because I don't like potatoes after they've been frozen. Chili is always good, either regular beef chili or chicken chili.

Muffins. Don't laugh. Soup is good, but soup with a muffin or two is even better. Make a variety and freeze them. Take two out of the freezer, wrap in a paper towel and nuke for about 25 seconds, depending on your microwave.

What about a meatloaf or a hamloaf done in cupcake pans? One is just enough for a serving.