Me And My Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sherit @Kyashasu thank you for the input. Sherit I can not see the photos.
I do have a cat tree. He actually has one downstairs and a litter pan downstairs as well. Personally I don't want him getting used to another human that wants him to cozy up to them all the time and takes to the manner of saying "my boy, my kaleb" AND HE WARMS UP TO IT LIKE HE BELONGS TO HER. She does have a hard time stopping him from running out the door. Plus this is not a permanent situation and I don't like that he thinks he belongs to her! I've tried to explain this that I do not want my cat going to anyone else for approval and such and that it is very confusing but it only causes arguments and that is not good for him . I do want him to free roam and I see a difference in his personality when he is allowed to, but I worry about the negative impact of him going to someone else who won't supervise properly and possibly might be too rough with him at the door when he runs out and also will get frustrated with him and/or ME . This is just too much. I figure if I am moving out in 8 months he will finally have free roam and my future husband understands he is more MY cat and he will come to ME to correct behavior and won't throw it in our faces that he can cozy up to his personal owner. To me that is like teasing him to say "Oh my little Kaleb , here I will pet you " or "Where is my Kaleb today " It's nice, but allow me room to please be the one that he greets. That is not happening it is like a challenge to get to my own cat! Of course, until he runs out the door the third time then I have to be the one to tell him he's done wrong. But right back to someone else to get scratches:lol::lol: yeah, ok.

The vertical space sounds good but I can't add shelves to my room because I'm leaving. I think this room is only 12 sq ft by 12 sq ft.

As far as allowing Kaleb out during certain times *only*, like when all is quiet or when my housemate is *gone* (though it's really HER house) I have considered it and tried it even but he does not like the door, tests the door, and I don't like having to force him back into my room all the time. To me its one way or the next. I don't think it's good to have to correct a behavior and I do believe distraction or changing things around (such as having it one way or another as to avoid telling "no" or bringing him back in constantly) is better.

Thank you kskatt kskatt ! sorry it took so long to post back I did get a new job:hyper: I appreciate all the replies though! Really I do... I do want *a lot* of input back on this. For if I must, I will tolerate him being subject to thinking he's someone elses at times and also worrying that when I'm gone he will bolt. He's chipped and I got new glow in the dark tags for a collar with his name on them.

Also I've always heard that QUALITY OVER QUANTITY in the animal kingdom is a must. It's only 8 months but 8 months is almost a year and he's still *growing*. In my opinion I should let him free roam but I had a cat before that I basically surrendered over to my grandmother out of pure appreciation and kindness, which I will not do this time. I don't want him to feel punished in my room but when I'm not around I know the over attention happens and he thinks it's just *GREAT* which is ok but I really don't think it's 100 % healthy for him to think she's all about him when really she just needs something to pet and something to "come" when she says so and then at other times she'll say "Kaleb your a pain in the a$$" most of the time she's joking but it can get out of hand. Sure animals dont know whats being said but THEY READ YOUR ACTIONS AND BEHAVIORS and I think it was even confusing to our beloved cat that has already passed.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I said to much but this is just how she treats the cat haha

I'm going to reply to the rest later, I have laundry going and its darn near 3 pm and I haven't eaten lunch plus I'll need to feed my darling kitty soon :lol:

Thank you all again for thinking about this situation for me I appreciate it a whole bunch!!!!!

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All terrific ideas, combine a few and Kaleb will be fine short term. I'm just going to toss out the thought that crossed my mind, what is your fiancee's living situation? I don't know how much time you spend there, or if it's any better than yours.:blush:
Just a thought.:)
Yes. The ideas ARE terrific.
He lives with his nephew. I did approach him on this topic but he said it's a no go right now. Darn shame too because there is more floor space in the living area in my furture husband's apartment. Kaleb would be able to play better. I'd be happier too.

Hmmm... maybe more convincing is in order
(I work closer to his apartment also)

Thank you Ks

Last edited:

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Oh please don't get me wrong. My grandmother IS kind IS gentle, but the thought of having a cat misbehaving while I am away or not in the same room concerns me because she just doesnt feel like having to correct the behavior (furthermore to correct the behavior my way...) .. But its okay to have him come to her for scratches. ha

I know, it's embarrassing, I'm possessive.

Also, we're leaving by beginning/mid next year. I feel she allows him to think he's hers and just don't like it.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804

Lavishsqualor,

thank you so much, that photo was not planned...
Most of what I wear is WHITE...linen or white cotton
Since you have such a visual eye as I do...I included a photo of Lily and I at christmas
in our black and white look...

I fell in love with Lily, she was so soft and so beautiful when they pulled her out of the tiny cage at the shelter
her markings just take my breath....I heard them say she had been returned to the shelter and she was just 6 months old and very tiny..so I asked them and said no that was not her..but I think it was that she had been so full of energy and so
much a wild child that someone could not handle the destructive playful behavior and returned her..
I knew I would not leave her at that humane rescue shelter that day...

I will say she ran up my new sheer long curtains in every room in the house and just held on until I saw her at the top of them and stared at me in mischief then she slid down them before I could
remove her claws from my white sheer beautiful drapes...

the only nice drapes I have owned in any home..floor to ceiling sheer white drapes...

What we put up with to have a pet...is a lot..
As far as looks who is that handsome man holding the child in your photo?
Sheri T

Sheri your Lily is just beauuuttiiffull.....wow

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more input I guess. Thnak you all again. If I decide to stay in this home , what I'll do is install shelves ! You guys are the best!

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other posters all have excellent suggestions. A window perch would be great, or a chair by a window; cat trees and puzzle boxes are also great to keep cats happy. I also don't think it's terrible that Kaleb has to be confined, if the alternative is being around a person who is not kind and compassionate and gentle. As soon as you are able, Kaleb will be in a home where he can have a lot more room.
Not sure what your drapes looked like, but if you have an IKEA close by, they have a lot of white drapes and sheers for very affordable prices (and some can be ordered online and sent to you).
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 why WHITE drapes?

Last edited:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said your fiancee lives with his nephew, is it his place or the nephew's? Just wonder if the nephew has a say in any decisions. Is that where you both will live after you're married? If so, it might be a good idea to move Kaleb into, where ever you will live, at least long enough to settle in ,anyway, before you get married, just so he can be settled before too much excitement!

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kskatt kskatt I'm not sure plans are working out with my fiance. Have too many large pieces of furniture in my room. Caleb literally has 6 sq feet of open space. You see, some of it is taken up by cat bed, cat tree, and scratch post, but he likes to jump and move in space. I have been letting him roam the house. I just think its what is best.

In the future I might think about downsizing and installing shelves.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 haha thank you. Sheri was the one with white drapes.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your fiancee. Only you know what's best for you, what's in your heart. I will simply hope you will be happy.
I need to downsize furniture, in size and number, myself! It has accumulated through the years, so easy to happen! But then I've lived in this house for 30 + years!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kskatt kskatt I'm not sure plans are working out with my fiance. Have too many large pieces of furniture in my room. Caleb literally has 6 sq feet of open space. You see, some of it is taken up by cat bed, cat tree, and scratch post, but he likes to jump and move in space. I have been letting him roam the house. I just think its what is best.

In the future I might think about downsizing and installing shelves.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 haha thank you. Sheri was the one with white drapes.
You're very welcome. And you can get fantastic drapes, of just about all colors, at IKEA. *Sheri can, too!* :crackup:

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kskatt kskatt yeah me too. In this home, I mean. Ehh, I'm comfortable here. I've grown up here and learned to get along. That's important. For the cats too.