Me And My Cat

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've really enjoyed posting on these forums and have learned a lot about how to help my cat get a long in life. However there is a concern I have about our living situation as I live with someone who is elderly and does not have a lot of patience.

If it was just me and my cat my Kaleb would have nothing but warm cuddles, the gentlest of petting, and always be around quiet voices. However it is not that way. Unfortunately I have been re considering keeping him in my room at all times. It is not very big at all. There is a small floor area for us to play together but he can't really run and keep going or jump.

I am engaged, and I just got a job. Thank GOODNESS this situation is not permanent.

But my vet informed me that cats behind closed doors can develop issues from being behind closed doors. My partner and I are planning on owning our own house in a little less than a year.

What do you guys think of me keeping my poor cat in a small room? And now knowing he likes running out doors, .. how can I teach him the door is not to be feared but that it is definitely to be heeded to when mommy is standing by it and using it? How can I show him its not his but he shouldn't be afraid of it? I caught the person whom I live with trapping him in between the front door because he wanted to run out. Mommy knows how to be gentle. This person does not. Its been this way for over a month with him. At first I kept him in our room but I decided it is too small for a big boy cat and he needs more play , to let him out. Now I see we should both keep to ourselves. And look forward to moving out.

Thank you all for your support me and KalebKat really need it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi kalebkat kalebkat

I'm sorry to hear the person you live with isn't fond of cats. As you say, at least it's not for ever. If you only need to keep him confined to your room for about a year I don't think you need to worry about him developing issues. I've had to keep cats confined to one room or to a small outdoor enclosure while they get used to the other cats they'll have to share a home with.

One thing you can do is make the most of vertical space. Make sure Kaleb has plenty of cat trees and things to climb. If you could put cat shelving all around the room this will be like giving him an extra room to play him. Cats like vertical rather than horizontal space.

Have you tried walking him on a harness and leash? Can you let him out of your room while you are there to supervise? If it's just a case of keeping him confined to your room while you're out he'll still get chance to run and play.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can you put a large chair by a window that the cat can lie in and look out the window?
Lily loves her large chair and sits by the window to look out daily and watch the birds and
sky and day dream? Here is her chair...and I had to add this one of just a box and Lily sitting on it to see
the deer and squirrels and birds in our yard....with her mother ..me..sitting beside her..Sheri T

(See pictures below.)

Last edited by a moderator:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful photo of the two of you looking out the window! I love the fact that you both have the same colors on: black and white.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804 View attachment 179804

Lavishsqualor,

thank you so much, that photo was not planned...
Most of what I wear is WHITE...linen or white cotton
Since you have such a visual eye as I do...I included a photo of Lily and I at christmas
in our black and white look...

I fell in love with Lily, she was so soft and so beautiful when they pulled her out of the tiny cage at the shelter
her markings just take my breath....I heard them say she had been returned to the shelter and she was just 6 months old and very tiny..so I asked them and said no that was not her..but I think it was that she had been so full of energy and so
much a wild child that someone could not handle the destructive playful behavior and returned her..
I knew I would not leave her at that humane rescue shelter that day...

I will say she ran up my new sheer long curtains in every room in the house and just held on until I saw her at the top of them and stared at me in mischief then she slid down them before I could
remove her claws from my white sheer beautiful drapes...

the only nice drapes I have owned in any home..floor to ceiling sheer white drapes...

What we put up with to have a pet...is a lot..
As far as looks who is that handsome man holding the child in your photo?
Sheri T

Attachments

Last edited:

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat tree? I was once thinking of having my cat in a room only when I was going to be renting a room.

This would provide vertical space plus a stress reliever and a play thing, depending on the ceiling of your room this might do the trick and it is relatively cheap at a walmart, at least I think so. My cat has loved it from the start, you can also put it up next to a window so kaleb can look outside. You can also cut the pvc pipe if needed to fit the room. It is easy to disassemble too, no more than 10 or 15 minutes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Catcraft-Cat-Tree-Pet-Furniture-Cats/10319490

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABC-Pet-...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=X_4O8bMInIz5g23yeCilJ8

There are two different kinds from what I see on the walmart website. I have bought the cat craft one, but the other kind is a bit cheaper right now.

It should be 40$ and mine have lasted for at least a year or two depending. The platforms are 10 inches by about 16 and a half inches(the base is too). My cat is pretty small at 7 and a half pounds though, so she can lay on the platforms and sleep if she wants to. Not all walmarts carry it for 40$(it rose to 50$ in store) but if you order online for store pickup it should be 40$, I had to do that once.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to keep a close eye on one of my cats (he is allergic and gets into the other cats food.) Since I'm nocturnal my cats get free run of the place once everyone goes to bed. Is it possible for you to let your cat out when your room mate is asleep or gone? A window watching perch would make your cats day :) especially if you start feeding birds outside the window.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've really enjoyed posting on these forums and have learned a lot about how to help my cat get a long in life. However there is a concern I have about our living situation as I live with someone who is elderly and does not have a lot of patience.

If it was just me and my cat my Kaleb would have nothing but warm cuddles, the gentlest of petting, and always be around quiet voices. However it is not that way. Unfortunately I have been re considering keeping him in my room at all times. It is not very big at all. There is a small floor area for us to play together but he can't really run and keep going or jump.

I am engaged, and I just got a job. Thank GOODNESS this situation is not permanent.

But my vet informed me that cats behind closed doors can develop issues from being behind closed doors. My partner and I are planning on owning our own house in a little less than a year.

What do you guys think of me keeping my poor cat in a small room? And now knowing he likes running out doors, .. how can I teach him the door is not to be feared but that it is definitely to be heeded to when mommy is standing by it and using it? How can I show him its not his but he shouldn't be afraid of it? I caught the person whom I live with trapping him in between the front door because he wanted to run out. Mommy knows how to be gentle. This person does not. Its been this way for over a month with him. At first I kept him in our room but I decided it is too small for a big boy cat and he needs more play , to let him out. Now I see we should both keep to ourselves. And look forward to moving out.

The other posters all have excellent suggestions. A window perch would be great, or a chair by a window; cat trees and puzzle boxes are also great to keep cats happy. I also don't think it's terrible that Kaleb has to be confined, if the alternative is being around a person who is not kind and compassionate and gentle. As soon as you are able, Kaleb will be in a home where he can have a lot more room.
Not sure what your drapes looked like, but if you have an IKEA close by, they have a lot of white drapes and sheers for very affordable prices (and some can be ordered online and sent to you).

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too was wondering if you could take Kaleb for some fresh air with a harness. I know it is very hard to teach cats to walk on a harness. It took me a whole year before Speedy would walk to the door by herself on a harness with leash. (I was too impatient and made the mistake at first of tugging, when all the while, you need to let the cat decide when THEY will walk on a harness).

Anyway, during the winter, I put on the harness and CARRY Speedy out to the mailbox just so she will smell the fresh air and hear the sounds. This way, when she can't go walking around, (in the snow), at least she gets stimulated by the brisk air, the noises, the smells. I will just stand there with her looking around all the while in my arms. If she will stand on the ground, that is getting fresh air too. I just think it's a little change of pace for her, no matter how small.

I think Kaleb has a lot of love around him with you looking out for him. I think you should feel good about even small bursts of stimulation and play, because these are probably big things in his eyes.

My kitty loves her little "caves". That is, upside down boxes I bring home from work and cut "passageways" in the sides, sometimes putting them together. I also bought a tiny little pet bed with a hood that is so small, but when I can't find Speedy, I look in that tiny bed and find Speedy enjoying her solitude. I think small spaces provided like this may make any room seem larger.

You should feel good about what you are doing, I know you are doing all you can. With your attention (just the fact you asked these questions) Kaleb will do very well and feel loved!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All terrific ideas, combine a few and Kaleb will be fine short term. I'm just going to toss out the thought that crossed my mind, what is your fiancee's living situation? I don't know how much time you spend there, or if it's any better than yours.:blush:
Just a thought.:)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If money is a bit tight at the moment and you can't afford to buy some really cool cat trees, boxes are a relatively cheap way to provide vertical space.

When we needed to set up an emergency quarantine area for a sick stray we took in, I couldn't afford to buy all of the cool things I wanted to get him in one fell swoop. So I bought a bunch of different sized boxes from U-Haul, and put in some things we weren't really using as ballast to keep the boxes from tipping over. For example, we put books from the bookcase in a Sports Utility Box. That gave kitty a nice tall perch to look out the window, and freed up the bookcase for him to crawl in. Then along another wall, we arranged boxes of different heights to create a makeshift staircase for him to climb up and down. Stuff like that.

Good luck, and hope you find something that works for you and Kaleb. :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We extended the length of our window seals and but pillows on there and now gracie spends the whole day on there looking out of the wondow !

Brina623

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Brina623

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I just signed in to this sight looking for flea answers for feral cats and I came across your post. I watch the guy on cable who is like a cat whisperer (I don't remember the show). I remember one time a couple had the same problem and he suggested small little shelfs in different heights I remember seeing the cat climbing from shelf to shelf n then walking over one that was over the curtain rod over the window n down to shelfs on the other side. You can use the 3m sticker things I guess instead of nails in the walls. But an activity room he probably like, it would be like you sleeping in his space. Then he would be safe an Happy.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I just signed in to this sight looking for flea answers for feral cats and I came across your post. I watch the guy on cable who is like a cat whisperer (I don't remember the show). I remember one time a couple had the same problem and he suggested small little shelfs in different heights I remember seeing the cat climbing from shelf to shelf n then walking over one that was over the curtain rod over the window n down to shelfs on the other side. You can use the 3m sticker things I guess instead of nails in the walls. But an activity room he probably like, it would be like you sleeping in his space. Then he would be safe an Happy.
That's Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet with his wonderful series, "MY CAT FROM HELL". You can find shelves of all kinds online. Another great source for designing a space for people and cats to live happily is HausPanther.com which is the site of Kate Benjamin, who has appeared on Jackson's show and is a designer, blogger, author and cat lover in her own right.

Bob V

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise