May Be The End For Socrates

Kieran3927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been a long road but I think its finally the end for my 14 year old boy Socrates. On friday we saw that he was panting and appeared to be rocking. Took him in to the vet and they realized that his chest is filled with fluid and his lungs are pretty much collapsed. X-ray showed that there may also be a mass and the vet is even concerned that heart disease is the cause behind the fluid. Hes not sure which but considering the current state of things he does not believe that additional tests would do anything more than put a name to the issue.

This is also combined with his history which includes regular constipation and a spine that has been fusing for years (if not fusing since he was a kitten). Hes been on metacam for the last 4 years for the spine and arthritis and has had a good life.

But tonight I'm watching him be very restless and wandering back and froth through the house. He can't seem to lay still for long (as im typing this it seems to be only a minute) and though the panting seemed to have dissapeared yesterday it is back and seems to be more prevalent. Basically, he is having a harder time breathing.

According to the vet there really is nothing we can do but make him comfortable. And so we brought him home with gabapentin (funny thing on that is that my wife is taking a much higher dose of gabapentin as part of her post cancer treatments).

I'm not sure why I'm writing here other than while I'm watching him I'm wondering if its time to let him go. Tears are flowing but it may be for the best as he should not be in pain if it can be helped. And if he cant breath then what else can I do? I may see if i can give him a little more gaba to see if that'll help him settle down and rest for the night...but talk to the vet in the morning.

My apologies.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so so sorry to hear about Socrates’ condition. I’m not an expert to give advice but you’ll have my prayers for him to be more comfortable. I know you are giving him all the best that you can that enabled him to live happily all this time.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I am so sorry for Socrates. Please hang in there. I know there are no words from anyone of us that will relieve the pain in your heart, but know that you are not alone. You have given him a good life. He will remember that even when he crosses the rainbow bridge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieran3927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both.
Sadly I am sitting here at 2 am watching him. I cannot sleep as i know he is in some level of discomfort maybe even downright pain. Right now he is still panting, so it is apparent that he is having trouble breathing. Though as I wrote this he stopped and at least for the moment he is able to take a few breaths.
But i know its not enough at this point. He cannot be still, whether sitting or laying down. I've watched him lay down for about 1.5 minutes then getup and move, sit down for another 2 minutes, then try to lay down again only to repeat it all about 1.5 minutes later. This is no way to live and he wont get any sleep tonight.
So...in a few hours we shall call the vet and I believe this will be the end.
Thank you

DC678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so sorry. Sending prayers and warm thoughts your way... for both of you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very glad you found us so that you can have a little extra support.
I am also sending my thoughts and prayers to you :vibes::alright: .:hugs:

Kieran3927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks...unfortunately I started this thread way too late. After seeing how he was we decided to take him in to let go. But he absolutely hates car rides since they usually end up at the vet so he got too agitated. This meant that the little lung compacity he had was overwhelmed and before we even got 10 minutes down the road he was gone.
At least soon he will have to be put on the mantle along with another cat we lost many years ago. He was the first though the second to go. One solace here is that I dont think he felt a lot of pain, just the fear and anxiety in the end, because i had given him his daily doses of metacam and gabapentin less than an hour before.
Thank you all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, bless him, and you. RIP Socrates sweetheart, you're now in a place of everlasting sunshine and peace.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Socrates and his companion are together again watching over you as they wait for you. I'm glad you had the medicine for him, so nothing interfered with the bond of your love, while he made the last of the journey on this plane to the next.

Kieran3927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Socrates and his companion are together again watching over you as they wait for you. I'm glad you had the medicine for him, so nothing interfered with the bond of your love, while he made the last of the journey on this plane to the next.
Thank you. Not sure i can believe that. But if they do wait...then I expect they'll wait from atop the mantle.